Thoughts on 1200 calories?

13»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Will be updating ticker and posting "After" pic shortly because, I weighed today and I am 111 pounds, BMI of 19.1, body fat percentage 18.7%.I HAVE LOST TEN POUNDS IN 25 DAYS!!! My diary is set on public view. Feel free to read. Take notes. SUCCESS!!!! I Love My Metabolism :heart:

DO NOT DO WHAT THIS WOMAN HAS DONE

she lives on 600 cals of prune juice and Pringles. Her diet is not healthy and should not be copied or held up as a good example.

Btw if you post a success story I will report it for promoting VLCD

That diet plan sounds literally explosive! WTF?!?

Sorry it was diet coke not prune juice. Still not advisable at all :noway:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Will be updating ticker and posting "After" pic shortly because, I weighed today and I am 111 pounds, BMI of 19.1, body fat percentage 18.7%.I HAVE LOST TEN POUNDS IN 25 DAYS!!! My diary is set on public view. Feel free to read. Take notes. SUCCESS!!!! I Love My Metabolism :heart:

she lives on 600 cals of diet coke/Pepsi and Pringles. Her diet is not healthy and should not be copied or held up as a good example.

Yeah, don't listen to the 600 calorie eater. She's notorious for spreading unhealthy and terrible advice. I'm not sure how she's not banned for constantly promoting dieting that's against the TOS of this site.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

she lives on 600 cals of diet coke/Pepsi and Pringles. Her diet is not healthy and should not be copied or held up as a good example.

Yeah, don't listen to the 600 calorie eater. She's notorious for spreading unhealthy and terrible advice. I'm not sure how she's not banned for constantly promoting dieting that's against the TOS of this site.

I keep wondering this myself.....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP I agree with others that have said you may want to focus on strength training rather than trying to lose more weight.

You asked about what others lose on, I am 5'2 and lost 0.5 lb/week on around 1600 NET cals per day. Which was fine since I had a relatively small amount to lose.
  • Seevan07
    Seevan07 Posts: 23
    I'm 5 ft and MFP has me set to 1200 as well. My Fitbit has me at a little more than that, depending on how active I've been. I'm not usually starving or anything either. And I don't feel like it's restrictive. I've lost weight just eating more healthy (cutting out soda, HFCS, fast food, processed food). I'm pretty small and weight shows up easily. I don't see an issue if it works for you and doesn't cause distress.

ETA: Who can survive off of 3 diet cokes and chips a day?!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Yes. Please read. She's been dieting on and off for decades, says she is always hungry and also -

A previous Post by the same Poster.
    I watch my 2 pit bulls run in the yard, and I am in awe. They're like bullets. Energy is a foreign concept to me. I have not ever experienced it in my entire life.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1368640-dog-lovers-is-your-dog-an-exercise-motivator?page=3
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Well your metabolism is probably hating hard on you since you are wrecking it eating 600 cals a day.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member

Eek. Pretty sure if I ate only 600 calories a day I wouldn't be just HANGRY, I would probably go on a killing spree to get my hands on any kind of food!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    I'm 5 ft and MFP has me set to 1200 as well. My Fitbit has me at a little more than that, depending on how active I've been. I'm not usually starving or anything either. And I don't feel like it's restrictive. I've lost weight just eating more healthy (cutting out soda, HFCS, fast food, processed food). I'm pretty small and weight shows up easily. I don't see an issue if it works for you and doesn't cause distress.

ETA: Who can survive off of 3 diet cokes and chips a day?!!

This is basically what I'm doing, fitbit is great for adding those extra cals for the finer things in life, like cheese and wine ;)

diet coke and crisps sounds grim, the prune juice would actually move that along quite nicely!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Being constantly hungry and lacking in energy (as your previous posts have indicated) are not my idea of success.
  • ldb1606
    ldb1606 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks guys. I am bumping up my calories today. I appreciate everyone's input so much knowledge here and lots of encouragement. :)
  • Im currently eating way less than that and not feeling too hungry at all.
    I think it is very personal, I am managing about 800-900 cals a day and don't feel like I need more.
    Why would I eat more food if i'm not hungry? I guess it depends on your size/weight loss/height and what your like.
    I am exercising for 1hr a day 5 days a week and am trying to lose 7 more lbs.
    I am not going to eat more just because someone tells me to! It is working for me :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Im currently eating way less than that and not feeling too hungry at all.
    I think it is very personal, I am managing about 800-900 cals a day and don't feel like I need more.
    Why would I eat more food if i'm not hungry? I guess it depends on your size/weight loss/height and what your like.
    I am exercising for 1hr a day 5 days a week and am trying to lose 7 more lbs.
    I am not going to eat more just because someone tells me to! It is working for me :)

Just because you are not hungry doesn't mean you are getting enough for nutrition. Hunger is controlled by hormones. When you are not eating a lot, your appetite is suppressed due to these hormones. It is one of the body's defense mechanisms, our ancestors had to survive periods of famine.
  • I eat 1,200 calories a day. And I have am full all day and I lose a pound a week!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Honestly, it's very individual. Everybody is going to burn calories just a little differently than another individual, and we really don't have good ways to track that yet.

As an example - a sedentary person who is very still is going to burn a different level of calories than a sedentary person who is very 'fidgety' and constantly bounces their leg, fiddles with their pens, and so on. Then there's one's metabolism, how many calories you are burning to stay hot or cold enough during extreme temperatures, all sorts of things.

Feeling a little hungry on lower calories is normal. Feeling a little tired after exercise is normal.

But feeling like you are starving, or feeling consistently fatigued or tired, seems to me a good indication that you are not getting enough calories (or potentially nutrients, which can cause these feelings too, actually) for your own personal needs.