Struggling to understand why

2»

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    A quote that I really love is "Comparison is the thief of joy." You have to be proud of where you are and not compare yourself to anyone else in the gym. When I use a machine at the gym, I know I'm moving the plates up to a much lighter weight than the person before me, but it doesn't matter. I'm proud of where I am personally because I started off on even lower weights than I'm at now.

I do get really self conscious doing bicep curls and free weights though. I think it's natural, but you just have to get your mind to a place where you can focus on just yourself.
    Love that quote!

Yes got to get and stay in my groove.... Let the other people think what they want about me. I'm doing my best! And I really don't feel like I'm "staying put" or "not trying hard enough.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member

Why?
    I know I'm letting it get to me I should just go in and do my thing, but you can't tell me it doesn't bother some of you too when that happens.

I admit, sometimes it bothers me too. And it's dumb that I let it bother me. I'm almost 46 years old and I have physical limitations due to cancer, so I should NOT be comparing myself to the 20 somethings at the gym who lift heavier and look better than I do. But some days, I do let myself go down that mental road, and it doesn't end up in a good place.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Also what is 1RM?

One rep max. It's the maximum amount you can move one time. It can be SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the amount you feel comfortable moving 10 times, and is a better measure of strength gains.
  • thejuicywoman
    thejuicywoman Posts: 37 Member
    I like to look at things from a big picture perspective. Our body is energy, and everything we do, even the thoughts we think are energy. When you were a cheerleader in High School you might consider that you put a lot of your energy into learning how to build your body and challenge yourself physically.

But it's very likely that once you became a mom, your priorities changed and you invested all your energy and time into raising your daughter. Although we don't lose all muscle tone, we do lose a good amount of it when our bodies become less active.

It's not fair to expect your body to respond as it used to when you were in High School. You can build the strength to do what you want to, but you have to ask yourself, "Is this what you really want?"Is it worth it or would you rather spend that additional time with your daughter or doing something else. It comes down to making a choice. what will you choose?