FITBIT and TDEE Calculations

2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    How do you all set up your Fitbit and MFP synchronizing when using TDEE vs MFP calculations?

I don't know where I should log my exercise - FitBit or MFP? I know they synch, but is there an advantage or accuracy factor with one over the other?

Should I set MFP to "sedentary" and then log ALL activities from my day job along with my targeted cardio exercise (I haven't logged strength training) to get a range of TDEE for the week and weekend? Or leave MFP as I have it, on "Active" (though I think I'm Very Active hence I got the FitBit) Right now I've lost over 14 pounds in 29 days so almost a half pound a day average and 4" off my waist in that time. I'm not hungry. Though I would say I sometimes feel a bit deprived. ;-)

Any thoughts, experiences, or opinions are appreciated. Trying to navigate my way through all this. Thanks in advance.

NOt sure if it's the same with Fitbit but I log my activity on my UP...it syncs with MFP (using TDEE) and if...if I get an adjustment I write it in a spreadsheet...but delete it off of my MFP. My activity is set to lightly active on MFP.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    How do you all set up your Fitbit and MFP synchronizing when using TDEE vs MFP calculations?

I don't know where I should log my exercise - FitBit or MFP? I know they synch, but is there an advantage or accuracy factor with one over the other?

Should I set MFP to "sedentary" and then log ALL activities from my day job along with my targeted cardio exercise (I haven't logged strength training) to get a range of TDEE for the week and weekend? Or leave MFP as I have it, on "Active" (though I think I'm Very Active hence I got the FitBit) Right now I've lost over 14 pounds in 29 days so almost a half pound a day average and 4" off my waist in that time. I'm not hungry. Though I would say I sometimes feel a bit deprived. ;-)

Any thoughts, experiences, or opinions are appreciated. Trying to navigate my way through all this. Thanks in advance.

It is kind of a personal preference thing. At the end of the day, if you are using your FitBit, logging any non-step based exercise in whichever system (don't think it matters), and eating back at least some of your adjustments, then how much you consume at the end of the day should be the same. The difference between using a Sedentary setting and an Active setting in MFP is the number of calories you will get to begin with because that's the baseline that MFP is expecting you to burn. When I first started using my FitBit, I was set at Sedentary in MFP because I was following the "I have a desk job" logic. My calorie adjustments from FitBit were huge, because I'm not sedentary, and FitBit was telling MFP so. I changed my setting to Lightly Active, and now to Active, which upped my MFP calorie allotment. Now my adjustments are much smaller, which is fine. This way I feel like I have a higher baseline expectation of how active I need to be (like if I don't get my 10,000 steps, I'm not going to get ANY additional calories to play with). I also have negative adjustments enabled, but I've never had a day yet that I've had calories taken away from me by the end of the day (beginning of the day, yes).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member

It is kind of a personal preference thing. At the end of the day, if you are using your FitBit, logging any non-step based exercise in whichever system (don't think it matters), and eating back at least some of your adjustments, then how much you consume at the end of the day should be the same. The difference between using a Sedentary setting and an Active setting in MFP is the number of calories you will get to begin with because that's the baseline that MFP is expecting you to burn. When I first started using my FitBit, I was set at Sedentary in MFP because I was following the "I have a desk job" logic. My calorie adjustments from FitBit were huge, because I'm not sedentary, and FitBit was telling MFP so. I changed my setting to Lightly Active, and now to Active, which upped my MFP calorie allotment. Now my adjustments are much smaller, which is fine. This way I feel like I have a higher baseline expectation of how active I need to be (like if I don't get my 10,000 steps, I'm not going to get ANY additional calories to play with). I also have negative adjustments enabled, but I've never had a day yet that I've had calories taken away from me by the end of the day (beginning of the day, yes).

^^ agree with this ☺
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    I just got my Fitbit Flex a week ago, and was going to return it (what? A fancy pedometer with software? ugh) until I realized that it will sync up with your Myfitnesspal stats. Go to Apps on myfitnesspal menu - you'll see the Fitbit tracker.

You are supposed to log all food and exercise in Myfitnesspal, not the Fitbit software.

I was using a custom TDEE I'd calculated on my own, but it was a little lower than the one the Fitbit goes by, so I'm going to use that for a while and see how it goes.

I also use my Polar heart rate monitor when I work out.