80 pounds, 3 months, doable?

13»

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    . Plus negative calorie foods/ couple hundred calories of veggies. I'll take a multivitamin too.

You do realize all food has calories - there are no negative calorie foods. Throw out that myth. And your plan to lose 80 lbs in 3 months.

By negative calorie foods, I think he is referring to foods that require more energy to break down than they release to the body. For instance, if it takes 10 calories to break down a piece of food that provides the body with 4 calories, then the body isn't receiving any extra calories from this piece of food, whether to store or to use immediately ( -10 + 4 = -6). I'm not arguing for or against the idea, just clarifying what I think he means.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    . Plus negative calorie foods/ couple hundred calories of veggies. I'll take a multivitamin too.

You do realize all food has calories - there are no negative calorie foods. Throw out that myth. And your plan to lose 80 lbs in 3 months.

By negative calorie foods, I think he is referring to foods that require more energy to break down than they release to the body. For instance, if it takes 10 calories to break down a piece of food that provides the body with 4 calories, then the body isn't receiving any extra calories from this piece of food, whether to store or to use immediately ( -10 + 4 = -6). I'm not arguing for or against the idea, just clarifying what I think he means.

These foods do not exist. Everyone knows what he means, it's a myth. Calories spent on chewing and digestion are already considered in calculating the Thermic Effect of Food.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Even on that Extreme Weight Loss show, they never put a man on anything less than 2000 calories a day. They basically quit their jobs to work out all the time, too. (Yes, I watch... guilty pleasure, I guess.)

And they also have them get fully checked out medically, too, to make sure they're not losing muscle or doing themselves any harm. Not many people have those kind of resources.

Don't let that kind of show set you up for unrealistic expectations.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member

These foods do not exist. Everyone knows what he means, it's a myth. Calories spent on chewing and digestion are already considered in calculating the Thermic Effect of Food.

Oh ok, cool. I didn't know that. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just thought that when the person said that all foods have calories, the person thought that the OP was saying that some foods have no calories, or something like that.

So, when you search for how many calories is in a certain food, the calories determined by the thermic effect have already been subtracted? <--genuine question. I know MFP is an inherently snarky place, but there really is no snark in my postings. <---Forget the above question. I just googled it for myself.

Also, like I said in my original posting, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of negative calorie foods. I don't know if it is a myth or not. There doesn't seem to be much research on it. Regardless, whatever effect it could have would be pretty insignificant unless one wanted to survive on only celery.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Hello! Your goal is doable. If you would like to know how I can help you. Message me and I can tell you how.

Really? You should tell us all. Right here.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    You do realize that would be somewhere around a 280,000 calorie deficit, which works out to about a 3000 calorie deficit every day for 3 months to lose 80 pounds.

How do you expect to run a daily 3000 calorie deficit for 3 months? Burning 2000 calories a day exercising in addition to running a 1000 calorie deficit?
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    Not doable.

But I just saved 15% on car insurance. In only fifteen minutes.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Not doable.

But I just saved 15% on car insurance. In only fifteen minutes.

Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

:tongue:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    No! Counterproductive- if you go too low your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to the fat. If you're exercising you need to eat sufficient nutrients.
    You can lose a lot the first week or two of a diet, this is because the first thing you use are your body's glycogen stores, and these are bound up with a lot of water. I lost 16lbs my first week. But this is not sustainable, a safe and sensible weight loss is one to two pounds a week.
    If you're exercising more you may actually retain some fluid in your muscles.
    One thing on your side is your gender, men lose it faster than women!
    No. Starvation mode is a myth to the common dieter, and it doesn't cause you to hold onto fat.

OP, forget it.