7 minute workout calorie burn

Options
How many calories would you burn with the 7 minute workout? I am trying to calculate but unsure how to.

Replies

• Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual and how much you put into the workout. (By this I mean it can vary widely). Do you have a heart rate monitor? Many of them, if properly set, have a reasonably accurate(ish) calorie burn calculator.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    How many calories would you burn with the 7 minute workout? I am trying to calculate but unsure how to.

Depends what you do and how much effort you put in.

But almost certainly NOT as much as MFP exercise diary says!!
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    what is the 7 minute workout??
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Following. Hubby and I were talking about this the other day so I'm curious
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    “And the one circuit training study they do cite by Murphy et al. 1992 used a protocol that was nearly 3 times as long as the one proposed by the authors,” says Schoenfeld. Even then, that study found a boost in EPOC (consider this your metabolism) that resulted in a whopping 25 additional calories burned. I don’t know about you, but I don’t consider 25 extra calories a fat-shredding workout. - See more at: http://www.bornfitness.com/the-truth-about-the-7-minute-workout/#sthash.4JrZN2wQ.dpuf
    Source: http://www.bornfitness.com/the-truth-about-the-7-minute-workout/

Basically this is an article that cites Schoenfeld, a dude who has written a lot of books about muscles and making muscles do what you want them to do. Less than 25 extra calories.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If I really push, and I mean *REALLY* push, I can run a 9 minute mile. In that time my heart rate monitor indicates that I burn about 55 cals.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I just used my body media arm band and did the 7 minute workout (app) and I burned 35 calories.

Obviously this will vary for everyone and every effort - but just to give you an idea.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    “And the one circuit training study they do cite by Murphy et al. 1992 used a protocol that was nearly 3 times as long as the one proposed by the authors,” says Schoenfeld. Even then, that study found a boost in EPOC (consider this your metabolism) that resulted in a whopping 25 additional calories burned. I don’t know about you, but I don’t consider 25 extra calories a fat-shredding workout. - See more at: http://www.bornfitness.com/the-truth-about-the-7-minute-workout/#sthash.4JrZN2wQ.dpuf
    Source: http://www.bornfitness.com/the-truth-about-the-7-minute-workout/

Basically this is an article that cites Schoenfeld, a dude who has written a lot of books about muscles and making muscles do what you want them to do. Less than 25 extra calories.

That sounds like they were trying to calculate the "afterburn" rather than the actual in-routine burn. So if the 7 minute workout burns 35-55 calories (citing the real life examples listed above) then 25 additional for EPOC isn't too bad. When I do the 7 minute workout I do at least 3 rounds, plus warmup and cooldown, so it comes out to a much more reasonable burn for a cardio session.

PS I do NOT include EPOC in my workout calorie input, lol!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good point ^

Also, this was my "get off your butt you've been sitting all morning" "workout" LOL - used my lunch break and still had plenty of time for a sammich! :wink:

I also do NOT calculate or add in the EPOC/After burn

In fact I log my workout on MFP with 1 calorie and use only the calories that are reflected on my BM arm band for tracking purposes. IF I forget to wear my arm band, then I record only half of what MFP says that I would have burned. Better safe than sorry!
  • jleary99
    jleary99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just asking this same questions and found this, looks to be under 100 if you just do the 7-Minute workout one time, so the reviewer recommends doing it 3x for around 250 calories burned.

http://x-gains.com/the-7-minute-workout-part-3-the-review/
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you Google it, it tells you that you burn 15 calories per minute doing the 7 minute workout. So if you complete it, you're burning about 105 calories. BUT... that's a basic count, it would depend on your weight, your fitness lvl, etc.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If they suggest doing the 7 minute workout 3 times, then they're blatantly falsely advertising the effects of their workout, IMO.

Anything that sounds too good to be true, is. Doing a 7 minute workout every day is not going to do what one wants it to do.

And also I would guess like 30 calories although I have no idea what workout you're talking about.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Another zombie thread back from the dead. I understand bumping an old thread if you have the same question, but why bump it to answer someone who probably left the site years ago?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    40-70 per 7 minutes
    I don't estimate anything more than 10 cal per minute for any activity
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    jleary99 wrote: »
    I was just asking this same questions and found this, looks to be under 100 if you just do the 7-Minute workout one time, so the reviewer recommends doing it 3x for around 250 calories burned.

http://x-gains.com/the-7-minute-workout-part-3-the-review/

That's a generous estimate, 250 calories in 21 minutes.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another zombie thread back from the dead. I understand bumping an old thread if you have the same question, but why bump it to answer someone who probably left the site years ago?

To see who bites?

:)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Lol I’m suckered again! I didn’t see your post nor do I check the original date on most threads.