Long time maintainers how do you do it

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    You’ve been here a long time too! I stop eating when I’m not hungry. I eat things I love first, eat smaller portions, and don’t eat things I don’t like. I don’t drink my calories. I avoid or eat small portions of foods that very calorie dense.
  • I have lost once from 90 KG to 55 KG in 6 to 9 Months then maintained for 2 Y . End of 2 Y was 65 plus KG then became within few months again 90 KG .

Lost this time in 6 to 9 Months ….
    From 90 to 55 to 52 KG….
    Have maintained at same weight for 1 Y.
    This time making some effort to look at what I eat and move around.
    Height 5*4 or 5*5

Staying skinny after losing so many kg
    Is so important
    There is no point to lose kg and gain even 1 kg back
    Or even 1 pound.
    Food is tasty and should fuel the body for energy
    Never be used to deposit fat in body
    Walk really helps if willing to Walk

Please maintain weight
    Eat less
    Steps more and more if possible….

Food : low quantity
    Exercise : walk best friend
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    For me regular weight and circumference logging has been key. If the numbers consistently go in an unfavorable direction I know it’s time to tighten things up for a while to course correct.
  • pgreen912
    pgreen912 Posts: 3 Member
    So much good advice here!
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    Complacency kills. Maybe you haven't had your wake-up call. It usually takes not feeling good, pain, and getting uncomfortable enough, before we do something. Complacency is not OK. We like to self-indulge ourselves in almost every area of our lives. We've become greedy.

We want it all and guess what, we can't have it all. Great things take a good amount of work. We can prioritize our finances. We know how to get out of bed every single morning, so we can make it to work. We don't want to govern ourselves with food, so we become complacent. It kills our momentum.

We have to show UP for our life with a quiver of arrows, all our hard-learned life lessons, and an open heart. We have to make a deep commitment to improve our life and quality of health.

Old habits die hard. They cast very long shadows, even in the early morning hours. Complacency says that you have no power over food. Food is so powerful that you can't rein in your portions or snacks or drinks. Food habits have put you into a chokehold and you can't ever get free. That's a lie, to keep you down.

It comes at a tremendous cost. Some order out of that food chaos must be imposed. Dogs know where invisible boundaries are in their yard. They're happy with humans moderating their portions. We can train ourselves. We are not powerless with food. Believing that means we can never be fixed. Complacency is not our friend.

Golden. Thank you for writing this today. You've eloquently expressed what I've been ruminating on and battling within.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    edited October 2023
    So I have been in maintenance now since Oct 2017. I guess that makes me a longer time maintainer?

The one thing I think that has been surprising to me is how much CHANGE there really is even at this stage. For some reason I sort of always had this thought or perception that once I got to maintenance and the initial year or so of "figuring it out" was done that the boat would be clear sailing and the path would be straight.

Well the path at least for me. Is not. It is a series of smaller course corrections and changes but I guess that is all that life is about anyway? So I guess my insight to how do you do it is different now that I would have said in 2019 or 2020 or 2021. Then I would have said to make sure to log, weigh, measure, and keep track of "things"

Now I would say that maintenance is more about looking at the longer trends and making adjustments along the way. Setting different goals than just a scale # and being flexible in your approach to this stage.

For me it may always be a struggle since I tend to have a binge personality (whatever that is), but it is definitely worth it.