Mexica restaurant- what would you eat?

2»

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    My staff lunch is at a Mexican restaurant tomorrow, one that doesn't have nutritional info posted.

I will be doing kickboxing tomorrow, earning 1096 extra calories, so I have wiggle room. But, I don't want to just eat whatever, I would like to try and choose healthy, because I want this to be a lifestyle change!

Any suggestions??

My family has owned Mexican restaurants for 35 years! Here's a few options!

Soft chicken tacos without cheese or sour cream. Make sure you ask for them to be made with corn tortillas (they're typically low fat or fat free.) ask for pinto beans and grilled veggies on the side. The typical refried beans are full of lard and the spanish rice is usually deep fried before they steam It. Another option would be chicken fajitas. Use soft corn shells again and no dairy (cheese sour cream) have a little guac and salsa. Good luck! I'd order salad with salsa as an appetizer so you don't overload on chips too
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Ask for the chicken or shrimp fajitas, but instead of flour tortillas, have yellow corn tortillas. 2- 4-5in. diameter corn tortillas are only 80cal, 16g carbs, 2g fat, you can't beat that! Then, ask them to use a light amount of olive oil when grilling the food, and to not put any added salt. I would probably get a side salad, maybe even have a tblsp. of guacamole & a little salsa as the dressing!
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    The Mexican restaurant I go to has what they call "skinny" enchiladas where they soften the tortillas with water rather than oil before they bake them. Three enchiladas are 470 cal/17 fat - not the most fabulous stats, but FAR better than the non-skinny counterpart (about 730 cal/43 fat). There aren't too many other options, though I must say, the fajitas sans tortillas is a pretty good idea and one I hadn't thought of.
This discussion has been closed.