low calorie substitute for chocolate

Options
13»

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Also, I used to get 70% dark chocolate chips from Girardelli and have a serving of them (IIRC, it was maybe 15?, but they're big chips) but I'd eat them one at a time & let them melt on my tongue to get the most/longest chocolate flavor from them.

Ghiradelli are my go to chocolate chips. Delicious. I also use chocolate protein powder in my chocolate/peanut butter/banana protein smoothie.

For me, my success this time around has been all about portion control. I'm not missing anything. I'm not deprived of anything. I just know that I can't eat 3 servings of chocolate a day on top of fast food on top of xyz and not gain weight.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate. Usually less calories, less sugar, and a smaller portion is more soul satisfying.

Also, a Tbsp of nutella in plain greek yogurt is tasty. Adding strawberries makes it better IMO.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I eat something chocolate almost everyday! Lots of options out there...

Zone Perfect - Dark Chocolate Caramel Pecan
    Hershey's - Chocolate Syrup - Sugar Free, 32 grams
    Fiber One - Fiber One Bar, Oats & Chocolate
    Nestle - Mini Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
    Quest White Chocolate Raspberry Protein Bar
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Gold Standard Whey (Double Rich Chocolate)
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love Chocolate!!!

First of all, go for plain dark chocolate and preferably Swiss or Belgian.

I rather like the Lindt Excellence 85% cacao. Two squares are enough to satisfy my craving. It is very rich indeed and quite "dry" because it is REAL chocolate!

I'm going to have to try the 99% bar......
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Melt those Ghiradelli chocolate chips over a toasted waffle. I use Van's Protein Plus waffles - 90 cal per waffle, 5 g protein.

One of the tastier things I've done if I have a few more cals to spare is to take the toasted waffle, spread with some mascarpone or almond butter, top with fruit (usually strawberries) and drizzle the melted chips over top.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Have real chocolate, just less of it. I am a chocolate junkie but I can eat just one dark Godiva chocolate after dinner and be satisfied. At least most of the time. There is no point trying substitutes. I would only suggest giving it up altogether as a last resort.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate junkie too and can't give it up. I LOVE Skinny Cow Chocolate Clusters for 120 cals per bag. I'll also eat a Kind chocolate bar towards the end of the night to not only help with chocolate cravings but satisfy the snack monster before bed.

Don't go without just make it fit in your calories for each day. I've lost 80 lbs and haven't given up chocolate yet. :)

tr0090.gif
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Toss a small handful of chocolate chips into oatmeal every morning
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Allow one ounce high quality dark chocolate (70% cacao and up) daily. The darker chocolates actually have nutritional benefits and less sugar. A little goes a long way. If that is too bitter to start, try melting down and using in hot chocolate or covering in fruits like strawberries or oranges.

Don't bother with the alternative lower quality chocolates. They tend to have more sugar and do less to actually satisfy the craving, so he'd probably just end up eating more of it.

If you have Trader Joe's, they have these tins of dark chocolate wedges than are 70% cacao and really yummy. A serving is two wedges, 70 calories and 4.5 grams fat. I keep them in my fridge and pull them out whenever I have a craving. The tins are also really great to use for storing homemade spice mixes once the chocolate is gone.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I *never* go into the original container to indulge. Whether it's chips, chocolate, gum, mints, take your pick, everything gets portioned out to serving that will satisfy my craving. If you go into the tin/bag/bar to pull out one piece, you will take another "by accident" every so often.
    Allow one ounce high quality dark chocolate (70% cacao and up) daily. The darker chocolates actually have nutritional benefits and less sugar. A little goes a long way. If that is too bitter to start, try melting down and using in hot chocolate or covering in fruits like strawberries or oranges.

Don't bother with the alternative lower quality chocolates. They tend to have more sugar and do less to actually satisfy the craving, so he'd probably just end up eating more of it.

If you have Trader Joe's, they have these tins of dark chocolate wedges than are 70% cacao and really yummy. A serving is two wedges, 70 calories and 4.5 grams fat. I keep them in my fridge and pull them out whenever I have a craving. The tins are also really great to use for storing homemade spice mixes once the chocolate is gone.