Mcdonalds? Other fast food?

Options

Replies

• ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Anything I'd order from a FF joint, I could probably make it better at home.

But if time is the problem, either plan ahead with grab N go meals or if you DO go to a FF place, order your food "dry" meaning no condiments (oil, butter, sugary ketchup, mayo, etc) because they might LIST their Nutritional Facts for a certain portion, but we all know how lazy and sloppy and in a hurry FF workers are and they don't measure s**t! (I know this because as a teen & college student, I worked at Popeye's, Denny's, Subway, Hogi Yogi and Flying J).

Brush up on ingredients too, for example, if you go to Subway, order Spinach rather than iceberg lettuce, there's more nutritional "bang for your buck". Order Olives rather than having the worker sprinkle with Salt & Pepper, Olives give saltiness and satiating fat. Diced Jalapenos are better than sodium-ridden hot sauces, etc.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    If you're asking for those once in a while dinners out with friends, then just keep your day light and save up for the evening and eat whatever the hell you want that would fit your calorie budget.

If you're asking for convenience and nutrition, you basically want food that has at least a basic balance of micro and macronutrients. You could, for example do this at McDonald's :

Lunch or dinner:

- Apple slices instead of fries, this will provide you with some vitamin C and fiber. If you are dead-set on fries, get a small.Calories: 15-110

- Order a side salad for vitamins and fiber (and barely a dent into your calorie budget). Calories: 20

- Get one of these smaller burgers like a BBQ ranch so that it does not pack in 700 calories in a single sandwich but still provides you with protein.

You may want to opt for Filet-O-Fish if you're watching sodium. Some of the medium sandwiches like a double cheeseburger or a bacon mcdouble are still within acceptable range if you are an active person. These would give you more protein than the small ones. If you want the best of both worlds, the bigger size/higher protein and the lower calories go for premium grilled
    chicken classic (7 oz) , BLT (8 oz), or McWrap chicken sweet chili (10 oz).
    Calories: 350-450

- Drink diet soda. Calories: 10 max

Max calories for the whole meal: 600

Breakfast:
    - Go for a small fruit oatmeal for vitamins and soluble fiber. Calories: 100
    - Egg McMuffin or a sausage burrito for protein. Calories: 300
    - Drink plain coffee, no sugar if you can. If you can't, don't go heavy on it.
    Max calories for the whole meal: 500

Sweets: Sundaes, especially strawberry, won't break your calorie bank if you have saved for it at 280 calories.

Basically combine your fast foods in a way that gives you enough protein plus some fiber.

What Oatmeal WITH FRUIT at McDonald's is only 100 calories?!?!
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever fast food you want but I would stay away from McDonalds. Its not even food.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want at any place, just account for it in your calories and macros for the day.
    ^ This.

If you know you're getting it, make room with more exercise or fewer calories at other meals.

As a general rule, non-breaded over breaded and grilled over fried if you're just worried about calories.

You can get salads but usually if it's truly "fast food" they're not very good.

DOWNsize the fries....if you have them at all, get the small (unless, again, you're willing to "pay" for the giganto size with extra time in the gym or by shrinking your other meals..)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

What Oatmeal WITH FRUIT at McDonald's is only 100 calories?!?!

Not the huge 10 oz one (that's near 300.. still respectably low for the size), but the small 3 oz one. It has maple flavor too!
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    Anything I'd order from a FF joint, I could probably make it better at home.

But if time is the problem, either plan ahead with grab N go meals or if you DO go to a FF place, order your food "dry" meaning no condiments (oil, butter, sugary ketchup, mayo, etc) because they might LIST their Nutritional Facts for a certain portion, but we all know how lazy and sloppy and in a hurry FF workers are and they don't measure s**t! (I know this because as a teen & college student, I worked at Popeye's, Denny's, Subway, Hogi Yogi and Flying J).

Brush up on ingredients too, for example, if you go to Subway, order Spinach rather than iceberg lettuce, there's more nutritional "bang for your buck". Order Olives rather than having the worker sprinkle with Salt & Pepper, Olives give saltiness and satiating fat. Diced Jalapenos are better than sodium-ridden hot sauces, etc.
    Pretty good advice here.

As a general rule, I've subbed fresh spinach for lettuce in ANY sandwich I get..because by the time you add the meat, whatever sauces on there...I'm not "tasting" the lettuce it's just there for texture..to give it crunch. Spinach does that too..with the bonus of adding lots of fiber and nutrients.

And condiments add tons of calories to most fast food burgers...
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Kids Meals. They heave all the things that I want in a normal portion size. I can enjoy a burger, fries and a diet coke for less than 550 calories.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    The water is about all you can really eat. Mcdonald's has apple fries that might be ok. But eating like you have is why you are where you're at now.
    Fast food is noting but a chemical **** storm.
    :huh:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If it's just calories you're worried about and not overall 'health' (because at McDonald's, I can't really think of anything that's healthy overall).. the chicken sandwiches tend to be lighter than the burgers. Be careful with salads. Some of them are worse offenders in both calories and health than the sandwiches. The yogurt parfait that McDonald's offers is tasty, and I believe only runs you a dollar. The spicy chicken sandwich is pretty good and 'light' compared to the burgers. Their oatmeal is just okay. But nothing spectacular.

Wendy's has some pretty tasty salads. While a salad made at home would likely be healthier, theirs are worth enjoying sometimes. I like the apple one. I can't remember exactly what it's called.

Panera has a pretty big menu, with some 'healthier' and lighter options. I'm a big fan of their med veggie sandwich. Their strawberry poppyseed salad is really good, too.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Kids Meals. They heave all the things that I want in a normal portion size. I can enjoy a burger, fries and a diet coke for less than 550 calories.

Didn't think of that. But yes, this is true for pretty much any FF place. McDonald's, Panera, Burger King, etc
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    havent read all the responses yet, so heed that when ya read this.

I like to get a grilled chicken sandwhich, no mayo/cheese at almost every fast food place. I get unsweetend tea to drink, usually no side.

Special cases-

Subway- 6 inch veggie delight no cheese, with an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Wendy's-plain baked potato and a small chili.

BK- Veggie burger (cuz they really taste nice! Anyone know who makes the patty there?) no mayo.

Taco bell- bean burrito fresco style, OR a taco and small order of beans on the side.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options

BK- Veggie burger (cuz they really taste nice! Anyone know who makes the patty there?) no mayo.

Morningstar Farms
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Fast food really just isn't healthy. period. But if I have no choice I usually order a wrap or a salad, but make sure it's grilled chicken!

huh?

they have protein, fat, and carbs.
    all thing my body needs.

i'm not sure i understand your assessment.

My body needs McD's, too, sometimes :laugh: :wink: I eat fast food 1-3 times a week (sometimes it's "one of those weeks"). McDoubles have lotsa protein, and only 380 or so calories. I can easily fit one (or two on a high activity day) into my macros. There's even room for a small fry most of the time.

Yummy! The internet and nutrition menus from your favorite place are your friends. You may be pleasantly surprised that it's not just salads you can fit into your day. Lots of "regular" items can make up a meal for a modest number of calories. And PS--I, like many others, don't find salad filling at all. The high protein items (burgers, chicken sandwiches, chili, etc.) usually satisfy my hunger better than lettuce (I DO like salad, just "boring" to me to eat that at Wendy's or wherever).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Big mac and fries. If you're going to go, then eat. Who goes to a burger joint, for a salad??? Just track your calories. Actually, I'd try Burger King myself-whopper= yum!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I like Wendy's chili with cheese and onions and a side salad. It's like 500 total or soemthing around there anyway.
  • kittenkathleen
    Options
    I like to stay away from McDonald's, but fast food places I usually eat at are Wendy's, Chick-fil-a, and Taco Bell.

Wendy's: The chilli is very good and filling, but what I usually get is a grilled chicken patty, with either a small fry or a baked potato with one cup of butter, it really depends on what I feel like eating. I also like to get a 6 count of the spicy (or the regular) chicken nuggets with a medium fry.

Chick-fil-a: GRILLED NUGGETS! omg they are so good! And I usually get fries and/or a side of fruit with them. I would eat there more often if it was a little closer to my house. Their grilled chicken sandwich is good, too, but I usually don't eat buns anyway so the grilled nuggets are just basically the same thing as me getting the sandwich haha

Taco Bell: Alright,I would say this is probably one of the best fast food places to eat at, if you know what to order. Get anything fresco. When you order an item fresco, they take off the cheese, sour cream, and any creamy sauce, and replace that with fresh pico de gallo. I suggest ordering the chicken soft tacos fresco style. But, ask for the grilled chicken instead of the shredded chicken, because it is much more filling than the shredded. Also, the shredded chicken burritos fresco style are very good, and you might want to ask for the grilled chicken on that one as well. All it is, is rice, chicken, and the pico, which is much better (in my opinion) than the chicken burrito supreme (which has refried beans- yuck) and cheaper as well. And I've never tried it, but the Cantina Bowls are supposed to very good and they are filled with protein. Basically, you can get anything fresco and it will be better than all the cheese and sour cream most of the items have, and it won't cost you any extra.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I avoid fast food like the plague. I know if I were to go into McDonald's I'd order a large Big Mac meal with a strawberry shake because it's delicious, and that's not going to help my weight loss.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Morningstar Farms

Thanks!
  • rasp0000
    rasp0000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excuse me if this is a repost, I haven't read the entire thread.. but if you MUST have fast food use this site, it'll help you find something that'll fit your macros and try to keep those calories down. ;)

http://www.fastfoodprotein.com/search?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I get kids' meals when I have to eat fast food. It's plenty of food for me considering how greasy it invariably is and most kids' meals are 400-500 calories, which is generally where I like my meals to be anyway.

My fiance gets three bacon cheeseburgers and two packs of chicken nuggets because he needs the calories. The Wendy's cashiers always seem to get a kick out of the two of us together with that order.