2 years of maintenance - 130+ pounds lost

Replies

• tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    "Don't do anything to lose weight that you don't want to do forever." Wise words to live by. Congrats to you on your success!!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    You are amazing and should be very proud of yourself. Everything you said makes sense and thank you for taking the time to write it all down and share with others needing inspiration and hope that change is possible!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    tottie_07 wrote: »
    "Don't do anything to lose weight that you don't want to do forever." Wise words to live by. Congrats to you on your success!!

Totally struck a nerve with me too.
    Call it a A-HA moment :)
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    "My advice to you is to start living like the person you want to be and let the rest fall into place.

In other words, don't do anything to lose weight that you don't want to do forever. I'm not here to cast judgment on low carb, low fat, Paleo, etc - fine. If it works for you, that's fantastic.

But you don't need to go on a macronutrient-banning fad diet in order to lose weight. I'm living proof. The way I ate and exercised was so sustainable that I wasn't excited to "go off my diet" once I reached goal weight. There was nothing to go off of, and the weight loss phase was not miserable. I ate plenty, moved the right amount, and felt so amazing I didn't want to go back to my old ways. All I did was eat a little more to erase my deficit.

And that's it. The transition to maintenance was seamless. And frankly, I found it pretty easy.

It's okay to like food.

I see it here a lot. The idea that only weak people need a "cheat" day and that food is fuel and nothing more and that we need to break our emotional connection to it in order to lose weight."

THAT and love yourself at any size. Excellent read, the best I have found in MFP so far. And well explained why this is it. I have to say it does click in different people differently, and that is ok, figuring out by yourself , not Oprah, not weight watchers, nobody, but yourself, what works sustainable for the rest of your life.

Thanks Shannon. You still around?
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    Thank you for sharing!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    Thanks Shannon. You still around?

Yep! Not quite as active here, but working very hard to maintain my habits after a work transition!
  • AuntieGinge
    AuntieGinge Posts: 50 Member
    This is my favourite success story, I will be referring back to it regularly!
    Well done, I look forward to reading through the links x
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Hi, you may not know this, but you wrote this for me! Thank-you!
  • cmteach4
    cmteach4 Posts: 226 Member
    Terrific writing and great insights! I have been trying to do just what you talked about! So far so good -- I have lost 68 pounds in 1 year and 8 mos. so it has been slow and comfortable. I have about 6 pounds left for my doctor's goal and plan on just adding back some calories for maintenance and continuing on as I have been. I am so much more active and able to move so much better and am stronger now at 64 than I have been in decades! Congratulations to you and thanks for putting into words what I am hoping to achieve for my habits and healthy lifestyle! You are amazing and inspiring!
  • aud82
    aud82 Posts: 30 Member
    Amazing!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    JenCOPD wrote: »
    Hi, you may not know this, but you wrote this for me! Thank-you!

I am happy to know this now :)
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 205 Member
    You're a great writer!
  • Courtney4805
    Courtney4805 Posts: 71 Member
    Really glad I stumbled onto your post. Thank you.
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Amazing post, thank you so so much
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Another bump--for a great post!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Thanks for bumping this. What a fabulous post/article. So beautifully written, I could hear you as I read it. I too lived in Minnesota (loved it). Now in Cambridge, England - bit different outside but the same issues inside. I spent years thinking I couldn't eat this, that or the other. I now have a much better relationship with food, eating truffles last night but logging them and still under my goal due to exercise. I exercise for three reasons; first is for mental well being, second is for the joy of being able to move under my own steam and feel free and the third is so that I can eat something delicious without feeling I have to deprive myself! Please add me as a friend
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    This post should be required reading for every new MFP member. <3
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    This post should be required reading for every new MFP member. <3

Agreed. This is one of the first posts I read when I first joined and it was really so motiviational. It made everything so clear and it was a joy to read.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Thank you so much for posting. Self love now, wow..so important. <3
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Congrats on your loss- you deserve all the best - great tips here for many ppl to read, adapt and use!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!