Do you know someone who fell for a Nigerian scam?

1235»

Replies

• RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Not exactly.

However, my best friend's sister has a massage client from Nigeria. Supposedly he's very wealthy. She also works as a bartender, as does my BFF.

So the sister's car was acting up pretty badly a few months ago right before she was going on a long road trip and she and my BFF were out having drinks with this Nigerian guy and his friend and she was talking about her car and they actually bought her a new car. And apparently they have been trying to talk my friends into going to Nigeria to "bartend and do massage therapy."

And they actually believe these men are just nice guys trying to do nice things because they like my friend and her sister.

SMH

My BFF has a near-genius IQ, too.
    They bought her a car and she was able to not get scammed? thats why i got from reading it…thats awesome…i mean its not but if one is scamming a person then at least they some of their own medicine...
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member

Sadly it is probably the older generation that doesn't understand as well.

My grandmother passed away last year, two months before her 98th birthday. I remember when these scams were starting she must have been in her 80s and she was talking one day about how stupid people had to be to fall for them. My gram was no dummy. :-)
    My gramma and a future me…….
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Not exactly.

However, my best friend's sister has a massage client from Nigeria. Supposedly he's very wealthy. She also works as a bartender, as does my BFF.

So the sister's car was acting up pretty badly a few months ago right before she was going on a long road trip and she and my BFF were out having drinks with this Nigerian guy and his friend and she was talking about her car and they actually bought her a new car. And apparently they have been trying to talk my friends into going to Nigeria to "bartend and do massage therapy."

And they actually believe these men are just nice guys trying to do nice things because they like my friend and her sister.

SMH

My BFF has a near-genius IQ, too.
    They bought her a car and she was able to not get scammed? thats why i got from reading it…thats awesome…i mean its not but if one is scamming a person then at least they some of their own medicine...
    It isn't about getting scammed. It's that they actually believe these people have genuine, selfless motives and that can lead to some bad stuff down the road.

I don't think these guys are trying to scam them in the ways described in this thread. I think they have a lot more to lose than money in this case and even if these people don't do anything, they're clearly easy marks. They aren't suspicious at all about motivation.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I've always wanted to answer these emails and string people along but I'm afraid to.

I did it. I was bored at work.

Did anything interesting happen?

Not really. I tried selling him Shakeology but he wasn't having none of that ish and blocked me.
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    I had someone call me a few weeks ago and said that I got a government grant for $9,000. All I had to do was give them my bank account number.
    If I gave these people my account number they would be incredibly disappointed.

I wonder if scammers have seen an account so pathetic that they gave them money instead....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I had someone call me a few weeks ago and said that I got a government grant for $9,000. All I had to do was give them my bank account number.
    If I gave these people my account number they would be incredibly disappointed.

I wonder if scammers have seen an account so pathetic that they gave them money instead....

Hmmm. I could try it. lol