Dieting and depression?

2»

Replies

• ophelian
    ophelian Posts: 32 Member
    magdalune: Ahhh, the gift and the curse of MFP! I have to say that it does freak me out to see "You've earned 900 calories from working out" with a new goal of 3,000+! In my mind I'm thinking "Nooo how can I lose weight if I eat 3,000 calories?! But I'll try and learn to trust the system. Maybe its just that I'm not eating enough after all.

beep: Thank you very much for your information regarding carbs. I suspect that might be the root of my mood issues. I'll be amping the amount of peanut butter and almonds my life (which is great, because I love them) and more whole wheat in hopes of getting things back in line. Thanks again!

banks1850: I agree, excercise is a cure-all for lots of life's maladies. I've been working out 60-90 minutes a day/4-5 days a week for almost a year now and have felt great, up, and better than ever. G That's why I was so surprised to see my mood drop after starting MFP (hence inspiring the post.) I tried to squeeze in additional workout time in hopes of feeling better but it wound up pushing me a bit too far beyond my limit and made me feel worse. Thank you for the tip!

Again, thanks to all! I've received a lot of food for thought. Pun sort of intended.
  • ophelian
    ophelian Posts: 32 Member
    Update:

I thought I would just let everyone know that the advice shared here proved quite valuable. I did a little research on carbs and made sure to get some into my diet today and have felt a lot better as a result. I think I'm also settling into a routine with MFP and that's helped me to feel less defeated overall. Seeing the scale go down a smidge this morning certainly didn't hurt either.

Again, thanks to all. :)
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Yeah, I love success!!! That's what MFP is all about.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Not a doctor but I think that sometimes we feel like crud when we change our daily routines (particularly food routines) as it's our body's way of complaining! People usually don't respond too positively to change and I think our bodies are the same way. I felt pretty bad my first couple weeks--tired, discouraged, wondering if I was going to fail at this attempt like I had the other 999 times I've tried to lose weight. Almost give up before the beginning of week 3 and said "screw it--who wants to live to 100 anyway!"

THEN, I had a slap of reality and realized while I might not wish to live to 100, I would like to live to, say, 60 or 70 or maybe even 90! And that the way I was going, I'd be lucky to make it to 60. SOOOOO, stuck with it so far.

I think you'll find MFP helps by helping us track things. For me, (now I'm anal about tracking things though), I love being able to see what I'm eating, track my losses, and see how better my fitness levels are getting as time goes by. I like to set goals for myself---cut back to only so much sodium per day, only so many carbs, only so much fat, burn up so many extra calories, etc.--and MFP has been invaluable for me in this area!

Hang in there! And remember, we're all in this together. There's someone here all the time to talk to when you're feeling a little down! :flowerforyou: