Blog on Short and Long term underfeeding

2»

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Bump to read tomorrow.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    new post added. On the Psychological aspects of obesity.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Bump :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    bump
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Awesome info as always SHBoss. I'll never understand why people struggle with eating 1200-1500 calories a day, short of having an eating disorder. If you are currently overweight, obese, etc, you have had no problem eating well past that amount in the past - nothing has changed. Diet is about moderation, not a knee-jerk reaction to your current state. Cutting additional calories has no effect on accelerated fat loss (quite the opposite), so it's always so odd to see people cut cut cut because they want some instant fix to being overweight.
  • bump!
  • SHBoss1673
    Awesome info as always SHBoss. I'll never understand why people struggle with eating 1200-1500 calories a day, short of having an eating disorder. If you are currently overweight, obese, etc, you have had no problem eating well past that amount in the past - nothing has changed. Diet is about moderation, not a knee-jerk reaction to your current state. Cutting additional calories has no effect on accelerated fat loss (quite the opposite), so it's always so odd to see people cut cut cut because they want some instant fix to being overweight.

before I was at maintenance, I would struggle sometimes. Granted my calories were 2200 and not 1500, but I'm a big guy so... when I added 400 calories of exercise that would bring me to 2600, and I had a hard time for a while justifying that in my brain. I got there, but I can understand why people can balk at eating them, I would hope though, that we post enough meaningful and factual information to override these irrational fears.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member

I think for a lot of people, the problem is in where the food was coming from. It's pretty easy to get to 2500 cals on junk - it's not that much volume, especially if a lot comes from soda or empty cals. And if it's a lot of sugar, that can make you hungrier and not feel full for long - so it's easy to eat again soon. But once you change the source of the cals to nutrient dense foods, it takes a lot more volume to get to the same amount of cals. And the nutrient dense foods make you feel full longer, so you don't get hungry as quickly.

And, the media/advertising/diet companies have screwed up the public thinking on weight loss. We've been told for years that quick fixes work (especially if there's a product to buy) and that it's desirable to lose weight quickly (Biggest Loser). So people who have little diet/fitness knowledge believe what they see/hear. It's hard to change that paradigm after so long.
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Completely agree. I just wish people would realize, especially with a tool like this, that you don't need to eat "diet" food to "diet!" If you can't reach your calories with all the low-fat stuff you're eating just swap some of the food around, that's the beauty of this tool :smile:. You don't have to eat more to get more calories, you just have to eat different.

One great tip that I know lifters use is to mix something like olive oil into their whey protein shakes. One or two tablespoons of olive oil to a whey shake doesn't really change the taste and easily adds 120-240 calories (in addition to whey's ~120), which for most people would counter those workout losses while providing lots of valuable protein and healthy fats.
This discussion has been closed.