decoding the microwave popcorn label

2»

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    If anyone is making popcorn at home, I recommend a Wabash stovetop popper. I add a tsp or two of olive oil, coconut oil, or butter and then 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of unpopped kernels, and then season when done. Then you know exactly how much you're getting, and no strange additives, and I've never had it burn. It's really good from the stove!
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    I was confused about the labelling for a while, too. I don't know why they put the unpopped values on the bag. If you want corn kernels for grinding you wouldn't buy microwave popcorn to do it with. So sometime back I did a bit of research on the internet.

Unpopped corn has a much higher energy content and when it is heated a lot of that energy is released to make it go "pop!" Hence popped corn has a lower kilojoule/calorie value. So take 3 tablespoons of unpopped corn in one bowl and 3 cups popped in another. 3 tablespoons produces 3 cups approx - it's the same amount in both bowls, but in different forms. The unpopped has more than double (possibly triple...without running to check in the pantry) the calories of its 3 cups popped counterpart.

I hope that helps and not confuses more. :ohwell:

My advice - ignore the unpopped values.

The brand I use (Family Time) says there are 3 cups in 1 serving and 2 servings per bag. It's not too hard to work out calories and carbs from there. If the brand you are using does not specify quantities ... perhaps change brands???????

Most of all; enjoy your popcorn. :happy:
  • SuzyQ390
    SuzyQ390 Posts: 13
    I'm sitting here trying to figure it out also. I believe I will take the advice of others and only by the 100 calorie BAGS from now on!! LOL!! It will make eating popcorn so much more enjoyable...... ;)
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    I love movie theater popcorn. Good lord...! But I know it has TONS of calories with all that delicious butter. :sad:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    If it's regular it's about 500 cals per bag. If it's lite it's "only" 300 cals per bag.

Get an air popper. These bags are not worth it.
  • gothchiq
    And the reason it's hard to decipher is because they're required by law to put the info on there, but they still don't want us knowing that what they tout as a healthy snack is in fact jam packed with fattening grease and calories. So they present the information in as obfuscating a way as possible in order to make the most sales by, essentially, tricking people.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    17204-c220d7d34c0a652ba5d10780da9d2b51.jpg
  • gothchiq
    Necromancy for the win.
  • mmariev14
    mmariev14 Posts: 10 Member
    This thread is old, but still so relevant! I buy the same popcorn the OP buys, kroger fat free, and cannot figure it out. And as someone else said, I do think the servings per bag/ box/ amount In a serving don't all add up. It shouldn't be this hard. I just want popcorn :/
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    IT LIVES!!!!
    Zombie_3_Walking.gif

Doesn't it say how many grams is in a serving? so.. 36g of whole kernels would still be the same as 36g of popped popcorn?? Not by volume of course, but by weight. So if you dump your bag into a bowl and weigh it, shouldn't you know how many servings you are consuming??