diet pills...

2»

Replies

• destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    I will never take diet pills, Years ago my aunt took some and she lost a ton of weight, she looked great till the side effects started showing and she suffered a very long slow death as her whole body slowly shut down. Watching her die really proved that pills are not the way. They may sound safe now but you wont know till a couple years down the road when people start showing the long term effects.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Okay, so I'm not going to take it, right now. I'm gonna try another 6 months of doing what I've been doing. I did change my calorie intake, and am going to try to lose more than I initially planned on. I don't really want to pop a pill to lose weight, I"m not a pill popper in the first place, and I don't want my girls to watch and learn that it's okay to pop pills.

Thanks again everyone for the support, I'll keep you posted for my progress.

Try hiring a trainer at the gym, pills that work will cost you the same or more, they can help you come up with what will work for you.
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    [/quote]

OMG !!!!!! :noway: I was taking Slim Quick. I had headaches soooo bad that I could cry. I haven't had one since I stop taking it and I'm sure when I was taking it that my blood pressure was all crazy. I'm just going to try and do this with healthy eating and exercise.:smile:

Pam
    [/quote]

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me having "crazy" side effects from this:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    We've had this discussion on this site many many times. I have done lots and lots of research, I have yet to find a "diet" pill that comes without severe side effects and/or doesn't make it difficult after you stop to keep it off. Diet pills just don't work, some help a little (FYI, check out most pills, like Alli or Dexatrim...etc they all say in the fine print that you need to take them with a healthy diet and exercise for them to work). The average, according to a study posted a few months back on the New England Journal of Medicine (I have it somewhere, I already posted it on here once, you can search on it if you like), said the average weight loss while using diet pills was 6 lbs per year more then without while eating a balanced, healthy diet and exercising. For 6 lbs a year, I'll skip the pills thanks. It's not worth the potentially severe health risks. I mean, I'd rather just work a little extra hard 1 day a week to get that 6 lbs a year off. 52 weeks X 400 calories extra a week = about 21000 calories a year or just over 6 lbs. so if you work for an extra 45 minutes on the tred mill at about 65% Max heart rate or run or swim or eliptical... you get the same results as a diet pill, plus you tone more, and you don't put chemicals in your body and you don't have "oily discharge and frequent bowel movements"! Uh thanks but no thanks.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    My 2 cents...

I know too many people who start these with the following outcome:

- take diet pills, lose weight for whatever occasion and it all comes back after the event

- take diet pills end up sick and even worse off health wise

- take diet pills end up going nutting in the head with out of control eating and end up not taking them spending wasteful money on something they can't use

- take diet pills no change

- take diet pills per doctor, never change the patterns and food habits, lose a few pounds and precious time which could be spent working out with a nice walk each day, and changing a few eating habits

If they work for you great, but everything I do happens to come back to this...

My perfectly healthy happy smart husband got cancer without smoking, or doing anything wrong. Why add anything extra to my body that can up my chances of anything if a healthy guy can get sick that easily?

It might be slower, but post here, log, drink water, and go for a good stroll each day. You can so do this girlie! Just use the support and ideas here! :flowerforyou:
  • It took me about 16 years to realize that diet pills were not the permanent solution to my love affair with food. When I was 21, I did Jenny Craig, and I lost a lot of weight, I just didn't take the time to learn how to maintain that. I had my first child at 23 and probably about 6 months later was prescribed phen/fen. That was my miracle (so I thought). Once the combo was nixed by the FDA, I was given just the phentermine after I'd gained some weight back. Off and on over the years I'd taken it when the weight would creep back on. In the past year, I've bought slim-fast, slim quick hoodia, some green tea supplements, nv, alli....oh yeah and a doctor gave me meridia.....sheesh! (and on all of it i kept losing and gaining the same 3-5 pounds)
    6 weeks ago I had my gall bladder taken out after being sick for 3 months. While I was laying in my hospital bed I decided that I was DONE with all the quick fixes and gimmicks, and mostly I am DONE feeding my body like crap. A week ago I was searching the internet for a free diet journal. MFP was the second site I checked out and I loved it! It has just reaffirmed for me that I don't need the drugs to lose the weight. All I have to do is use the diaries, do my exercise, and drink my water, and then I am using the most powerful weight loss tool of them all...myself!! Hang in there girl, I know we can do it! :wink: