Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Less prepared foods

DreambuilderDreambuilder Posts: 6Member Posts: 6Member
I have a hard time finding "normal" foods that aren't pre-packaged on the lists. There seems to be an abundance of them and few items that we would make from scratch. Also the alcohol section is very limited. Where would I find the calories for a liquer?

I realize that you can't list all foods, but when I make all my own soups, its a realy challenge to find what to list them under. ANyone got any suggestions?

On the positive side of this, tracking everything that goes in my mouth sure has made me aware of how much I was eating and where the high fat and calories are hidden. I am gradually seeing the scales slowly coming down. When they reach 150, you'll be hearing a huge YAHOOOO!! My goal is 140 which I haven't seen in ages. But more than that my long term goal is to be physically and financially in good shape by Jan.09.

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips and motivation.
Barb

Replies

• DreambuilderDreambuilder Posts: 6Member Posts: 6Member
    I have a hard time finding "normal" foods that aren't pre-packaged on the lists. There seems to be an abundance of them and few items that we would make from scratch. Also the alcohol section is very limited. Where would I find the calories for a liquer?

I realize that you can't list all foods, but when I make all my own soups, its a realy challenge to find what to list them under. ANyone got any suggestions?

On the positive side of this, tracking everything that goes in my mouth sure has made me aware of how much I was eating and where the high fat and calories are hidden. I am gradually seeing the scales slowly coming down. When they reach 150, you'll be hearing a huge YAHOOOO!! My goal is 140 which I haven't seen in ages. But more than that my long term goal is to be physically and financially in good shape by Jan.09.

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips and motivation.
    Barb
  • cediyamcediyam Posts: 183Member Member Posts: 183Member Member
    When I make my own meals from scratch, I normally write down how much of everything I used. And then when it is all done I just dish it out in 1 or 2-cup containers. That way I can divide up everything. For instance if I make soup and I used 4 cups of mixed veggies, and I end up with 4 2-cup servings of soup I'd say I had 1 cup of veggies per serving. This works for me because I make a lot of African dishes and it is really hard to find info online or anywhere else. I hope this helps.
  • RazbooRazboo Posts: 439Member Member Posts: 439Member Member
    What cediyam says is about the only way I can think to figure out scratch made stuff. I think it would be great to list and share it under "Homemade" as the "manufacturer" in the database. Sometimes I have no way of being exact about something so I'll look up something close.

If I had homemade soup at Mom's, maybe I'd come back and look up your version as a close faxsimile that would help keep me on track. :smile: Fer instance, I've entered donairs in the database even though every donair is going to be different. At least it more or less gets me in the ballpark.

One site I find great for looking up nutritional values is www.calorieking.com
  • yenn2yenn2 Posts: 25Member Posts: 25Member
    This may be more than you want to do, but I have a cookbook program (MasterChef) that I store all my recipes in on my computer that spits out nutritional data on everything I make. I just add foods to the myfitnesspal.com database as I go, but I only hit the "allow other myfitnesspal.com users to use this" if it's something pretty standard.
  • Fab140Fab140 Posts: 1,976Member Member Posts: 1,976Member Member
    I use Google to find the calories for my favorite spirits and foods.:drinker: I use it to find the number of calories burned during multiple activites as well! One of the best sites is Caloriecounter.com.

Good luck!
  • donnag524donnag524 Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    Try this web site. I have used it often to calculate my recipe totals and then just enter them here under my foods. It has worked pretty well for me so far.:smile:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • mshunkmshunk Posts: 21Member Member Posts: 21Member Member
    The Biggest Loser Calorie Counter book is great too.
  • DreambuilderDreambuilder Posts: 6Member Posts: 6Member
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I'll let you know what works for me. Guess the secret to any of this is not to become too paranoid about any of it or we'll get discouraged and give up. In our house, we eat as healthy as we know how, so now we're just more careful and its working.

My tip is to not even have junk food in the house so you're not tempted. Snacks around here are nuts, rice crackers, popcorn and fruit. No more eating half a bag of potatoe chips while watching TV...thats a breakthrough for me cuz I love chips.
    Barb