Lots2Lose & over 40 (CLOSED GROUP)

Replies

• LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Hi all, hope you have had a good Tuesday!

MJ - Do you all eat more earlier or later? Any suggestion on how best to distribute my calories throughout the day?

thyroid meds an hour before food

Thanks for your best wishes. Re your calories issue: I think listen to your body is the answer. Lots of debate on this site as you know. I have 1200 calories target per day and when I work out I can see I am allowed these and eat the back if I feel I want to and don’t if I don’t. I have mixed feelings on this and will certainly stop ‘eating back’ if I feel I am stuck. I try to eat my main calories at lunch and in the early pm because this is when I am preparing to go to the gym at around 6 or 7pm and I don’t want to eat anything when I finish there around 9/9.30pm. If I do want something I tend to have a bowl of cereal at around 100-200 calories to finish the day. However I am in it for the long haul so don’t want to push my body so that I am exercising so much and not catching up energy wise.

Jo – thanks for the good wishes. Well done on your trip to ASK that is a great change you have made. Good luck with the weigh in, I await your news!

Charmaine – hope you had a good night with your friends

Mollie – thanks for your good wishes. It seems a good idea to consider looking at your calorie limit if you are not finding any results set at that. Love what you said to the gym guy who was trying to give you advice, lol!

Claudia – thanks for sharing the recipe

Sue – hope bed did the trick and you feel rested x Thanks for you thoughts.

Gabby – Hope the pedomitor works well for you!

Cathy – Agree with you, I use my exercise calories as a buffer, if I feel a little hungry I eat some or all back, if I don’t feel hungry I don’t fret it.

Malias – Fantastic job on the 4.2lbs!!!! Wow! Good luck with the water drinking!

Katzpawz – That pesky inner voice! Yes, it is awful itsn’t it, no matter how well we are doing something in us says you should be doing more or you will never do it. It is a fight and I wish you well with your new challenge. Sunday, that long walk, shows just what you can do. What a change from a little while ago.

Shelly – you have been doing such a phenomenal job on the exercise, I am always impressed by your reports of how much you have done. Your working with your personal trainer. You are a great motivator! I agree re not beating yourself up when we deviate from our eating plan BUT I have excluded foods from my eating plan because they are ‘bad’ for me, they hurt me, affect me in ways I don’t’ want to feel. There is a lot of research about low carb eating and providing a person doesn’t do it for 3 months (as I did) and loose 3 stone (as I did) but then get tired of it and start eating a variety again (as I did) then it will be okay. I put 4stone back on, grrrr! (a couple of years ago). I know low carb, strictly, isn’t for me. However I suspect that as I approach my target I will find it harder and harder to loose weight and I might then consider loosing or strictly restricting some of the high carb foods.

Themommie – Good luck with the gym challenge!
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 343 Member
    Hi everybody,
    Off to dinner with my two bestest friends for chicken wings and beer.

Sounds delish!!1 Hope you enjoyed it!!!
    [/qThank you. Yes I very much enjoyed it, but now I'm feeling guilty, guilty, guilty!!!uote]
  • ShellyBrew
    ShellyBrew Posts: 823
    Are you sitting in the land of make-believe, waiting for a handsome prince to rescue you from your problems? Are you wanting to be freed from the castle tower, but don't know how to get out without a fairy godmother or a night in shining armor?

Does this mean he is not coming ??:sad:
    [/quote]

I am rolling on the floor laughing :laugh: Karen....we all need our "happy place" and this sounds like a wonderful one :love:
  • ShellyBrew
    ShellyBrew Posts: 823
    Yes my “4 letter word” is truly 6 letters :laugh:

“diet” another evil word; I like Joanna’s informed choices!

In fact I agree with everyone’s pet peeves :huh:

Joanna…just sent you a friend request on FB;

Sue I can’t find you but can friend you once Joanna accepts or you can look me up under Shelly Brewster

You go Mollie…put that boy in his place

L…I do workout a lot and push myself but the weight is still coming off slowly but I won’t give up. Maybe I should be “eliminating” some foods :blushing: . I know some have to control/eliminate foods for health and other reasons, I just hate to see people feel guilty for a little slip; that is all I meant. I don’t have the will power some times to avoid my “trigger” foods but I have learned to control the amount.

We all have to find what works for us and I know this amazing group can do it with each others support!!!!!

Almost 11pm...night all :yawn:
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    I am really upset. I weighed myself today, and Im up 3 pounds!!! How can that be? I mean, I get that I went over a few days, and I only walked 3 days last week, but 3 pounds? I feel like I should of just treated myself to chocolate cake or something! Its not my weigh day, its tomorrow, but I was curious, because I wasnt 'feeling' like I had lost any. Im discouraged! Bad. Its so frustrating when I feel that Ive done everything right, but still cant lose!:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    I am really upset. I weighed myself today, and Im up 3 pounds!!! How can that be? I mean, I get that I went over a few days, and I only walked 3 days last week, but 3 pounds? I feel like I should of just treated myself to chocolate cake or something! Its not my weigh day, its tomorrow, but I was curious, because I wasnt 'feeling' like I had lost any. Im discouraged! Bad. Its so frustrating when I feel that Ive done everything right, but still cant lose!:flowerforyou:

Hello Gabby,
    I know it is a small consilation but it could be anyting. It can be sodium, early TOM symtoms, etc. My personal motto is as long as I know I am eating right I am content. I have been yo-yoing all month. You have to find what works for your body over time. Like I was stating earlier I know I really need to lower my calories from what MFP says I can eat which is 1900. That worked in the beginning but is not working now so for April I am going to try something different.

Just be patient with yourself and your body. When we make changes it surely rebels.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    You know what I thought about today also. I have not been taking my normal vitiamins that I take religiously for about 4 weeks. I wonder if this is a factor. Anyhoos, I am so tired and off to bed I go.

Sweet dreams everyone!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: PLEASE READ. THANKS.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Hello all,

In order to take pressure off of us I decided not to make a column on the chart for goals. I may add later if I see most of us made goals. It is easy to tack on at the end. For now I just want to see how it goes and just track and not worry about weight goals. For me really I will be happy to just average 1 pound a week or not gain any weight.

For those of you willing to give it a try please remember at any time you decide you no longer want to be listed on the list, just let me know and remove your name promptly. The same applies for those deciding not to be on the list. If it goes OK for April and I do it again in May and you decide not so bad and want to try it just let me know and I will add you to the list in May. I will try to get the chart up by 3 pm CST the following Fridays.

Please use below format if you would like to. I will be using it for me. and since we will be posting them on Wednesday's we will know which date to go back and look for it on. Even if Wed is not the weigh in day you are using please keep the date the same so I will know where to plug it in on the chart. The date on the chart will be Wednesdays even if your weigh in day is not Wed. I have been able to keep up with the thread pretty closely so even if you post on other days I will see it.

Screen name: Mollie1037
    Goal for April 27:
    March 30th (starting weight):
    April 6th:
    April 13th:
    April 20th:
    April 27th:

Good night a 2nd time!
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 343 Member
    Hi, everyone,
    I finally made it on here today. Well, actually it's after midnight. Don't know why I'm still up, but just not tired yet so I came on here to see how all of you did today. Just finished reading all of the poists. You all were talking about a few different things today. First off, I was told I used a bad word, "guilty". I agree but sometimes I just can't help feeling this way. It must be that nasty little voice you have all been talking about. That little devil needs to leave me (all of us) alone!
    Mollie - I loved your story about the guy at the gym!
    Karen - I kjnow what you mean, I hate when people who know you are trying to lose weight say things like, "shoold you be eating that?". That's why now I only tell a very chosen few when I'm trying to lose weight. I justy don't need the unwanted advice. I know they are just trying to help, but it's hard taking advice from someone who weighs 100lbs soaking wet! At least in this group we all iknow what it's like.l
    Claudia - wow, what dedication, planning to exercise whi8le on vacation! Way to go girl!
    Sue - it is true what you say about "fat free" or "lite", for everything they take out they put somethi8ng else in. I do confess though, I do buy some of these products.
    Mollie - Did you find out about the spinache and other foods? I am curious because I am also hypothyroid and take El Troxin daily.
    Also, what is the 30 day shred? I keep reading it on here. Is it an exercise tape?
    Now for my Tuesday Test: I'm going to get back on track with making healthy food choices and I am going to start drinking more water this week. I'm also going to work on that pesky little voice! Remember n the cartoons they would show a little devil on the guys one shoulder and a little angel on the other shoulder, well from now on I'm only listening to the little angel!
    Well, it's off to bed for me, so I'll talk to you all in ther morning.
    Charmaine
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member

Also, what is the 30 day shred? I keep reading it on here. Is it an exercise tape?

Charmaine

Hi Charmaine, 30 day shread is a dvd by Jillian Michaels, the trainer from the biggest loser. It has 3 levels and each workout is only 20 minutes, with 3 parts, so its like circuit training. I started on Thursday, so today is day 5 on level 1 for me and its not getting any easier! Ive heard you can find it at Target or Walmart for about $10.
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Monday Check In

I had a diet soda last week because the restaurant had nothing but tap water - I don't drink tap water! It was the first diet soda I've had in 2 months. It tasted ok but nothing I couldn't live without. I immediately went back to my water. I still don't care for water but I know that it's healthy so I keep after it. I think it's kinda funny that I've turned into a "water snob" & won't drink tap water. It just tastes so nasty! :sick:

I've been calories cycling for the last week & am up 1.5 lbs. I don't think it's supposed to work like that & I don't like seeing the scale go up. I'm going to give it another week just to see if it will work out for me. If not, I'll not be climbing back on that bicycle! :laugh:

@Mollie - I do change my ticker up or down on my weigh-in day. If I don't change it, then I feel like I'm cheating. I feel that it is important for me to see exactly what's going on to keep me honest.

:heart: Christy

LOL. .......oh Christy, your post made me chuckle when I read the part about you being a water snob. Goodness! I thought I was the only one who is a water snob. Where I live, we have a community well that our water comes from. It provides well water to only 75 families. And it is really good tasting water. But if I go away from home, I either take my own water with me or I buy bottled water. But if you stop & think about all the contaminants in city water.....it's scarey. So I say it's ok to be a water snob.

Also .....sorry the calorie cycling isn't going well. I nnever have quite understood how that's supposed to work. Keep up the good work....you're doing great.
    Cassie
  • cassieinor
    Hey Everyone.......Sorry I've been a little out of the loop lately with keeping up with all of you here. I have been reading and sending a few posts.....I'm kind of a day late and a dollar short....
    So the last few days have been rather depressing....three days of snow....off & on all day ....enough snow and wind to keep me from going outside, but it was pretty much melting right away. And we've had rain off & on most of the day today. IKve heard of people getting depressed because of not enough sunshine....but I never though I might be one of those people. Although I think I'm kinda feeling that way lately. We seriously have had only about one half day of sunshine in the last week. I am soooo ready for Spring to get here.

So anyway I'm still here hanging in there. Don't have a whole lot to tell about tonite. So I'm gonna try to get caught up with everyone here.

MJ......Thanks for checking on me .....I appreciate the nice note. ;-)

Take care all. I may be behind but I'm still rooting for each of you......
    Cassie
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    My new scale arrived yesterday afternoon. That's the good news. The bad news is, as I feared, my old scale was not accurate. It seems that, even when I recorded the heavier weight reading, it was still a few kilograms/pounds light. So, I've updated my ticker to reflect the weight from the new scale this morning. Also, since I now live in the UK, and the new scale was bought here, I've changed my data to show in kilograms. I've resisted making this change, but it's part of living here!

I'm a bit disappointed that I had not lost as much as I thought I had. I'll just put on those smaller jeans from my closet that I can now wear and move forward.

Now that I have a more accurate scale, I hope to see it moving downward!!

Cheers,
    katzpawz
  • cassieinor
    MJ.......I try to keep my breakfast & lunch calorie real low, because I know that dinner always seems to be higher in calories even in small portions. Also I'm one of those folks that if I go too lite with dinner calories, I know I'll belooking for some kind of snack before bed time. So you see my delimma. I also change my calorie allowance right after I started on MFP. MFP had my calories set at 1960 cals per day. I just felt like it was just too many cals. So I dropped the number down to 1600 per day. And If I stay within my 1600 cals, I lose weight. Problem is I'm not the only good cook or shoppper in my house. And most of the time I'm making good choices....but sometimes not. The big thing si that I'm not quitting this time. Good days, bad days, depression or whatever. I'm gonna keep working at it.
    Also I just can't imagine why anyone would want to eat back their exercise calories. I understand what is being said on this subject....but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't know if any of this helped ya. But keep on working at it. We'll get there.
    B-)
    Cassie
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    I really hope you get some sunshine soon Cassie, I totally understand about it lifting your spirit. We have rain here today after days of sunshine and I'm already bleugghh about it!
    Kelly, my old scales had me at 28lb lighter! Talk about being mislead, when I had my pre op then a month ago I was totally shocked!! My new ones weigh in kg or stones. I don't get kg still... I think a lot if people here still cling to lbs and stones.
    Well good news and bad this morning, the scales said 18 stone 12, which is 264 pounds , which is the same as last week! I can only hope that losing 14 pounds so quick made my body say hey ...not so fast lady. I'm quite often quite a bit under my 1350 calorie allowance, maybe I shouldn't be. Who knows, I'll tweak and see what works for me.
    Mollie I'm on my phone at mo but will do the necessary this evening for you to register the weight.
    Off to see my knee surgeon later, more looks down has nose as he says in an almost exasperated way that my weight really isn't helping my knee. Uggh yeah , you don't think anyone with a smidgen of intelligence wouldn't know that! Doesn't help that he is my age and whippet thin!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Happy Hump day everyone!

@Charmaine,
    No I have not heard back from the nutritionist on the spinach. I received some information on it but nothing conclusive. I am just going to be on the safe side and eat raw spinach no more than 4 times a week. The other items I do not eat that much of anyways for it to be a factor if true. I have seen enough to try to be safe. You know there is so much info out that even the experts are true. I have always heard spinach is good for fitting cancer so who knows anything for sure.

@Katz,
    If your scale showed you weighing less that means your starting weight was flawed also and that whatever pounds you had lost were probably true since you can see the difference. That is why they always say use the same scale. Hang in there.

Screen name: Mollie1037
    March 30th (starting weight): 358
    April 6th:
    April 13th:
    April 20th:
    April 27th:

My goal this month is to get back to ticker weight of 348.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member

Sue I can’t find you but can friend you once Joanna accepts or you can look me up under Shelly Brewster

I must really have myself locked down on FB! LOL. I sent a FB request to you Shelly! :)
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    I've made a decision about tracking my weight. I looked back at my numbers in my doctor's record from a year ago. I see him again on Tuesday, so I'll get another weight then. I'm going to use the weight from one year ago as my starting weight. It was within the amount that my old scales were off (almost 10 pounds). Taking my weight today from my new scales, puts my weight loss where it should be based on how many clothes sizes I've gone down.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my moaning about this. It's just so frustrating to be working so hard and not see the results where I expect them (on the scales).

This also teaches me that I need to work on not being so attached to the number on the scales, and more on how I'm doing everyday. Also, going down a few sizes in clothes is nothing to sneeze at. I've set a reminder on my calendar so I can take my measurements again on April 1. I plan to continue tracking my measurements on the 1st and 15th of each month.

Cheers,
    katzpawz
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Wednesday weigh in: I lost 1.2lbs this week so it looks like it has finally started moving in the right direction again:bigsmile:

Screen name: akaDumbo
    March 30th (starting weight): 243.8
    April 6th:
    April 13th:
    April 20th:
    April 27th:

My goal this month is 10 lb but I wont worry if I don't reach it so long as my finish weight is less than my starting weight
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Hello all!
    Oh my, you all have been BUSY on here :laugh: I just got caught up with all the posts since this time yesterday. Boo Hiss at the knee surgeon looking down his nose! I have to tell you that I LOVE my doctor and wish you could all have one like him. He has never told me I need to lose weight (gives me credit for being smart enough to figure that out) aside from saying we could ALL stand to eat healthier and get more exercise. He was so encouraging when I went to see him last week and saw that I had lost. Doc asked me how I had lost so much (I later realized he was checking to make sure I wasn't doing something unhealthy) so I told him, "You know, someone really ought to let you doctors in on a secret. If you eat healthier and even exercise sometimes...you will lose weight." He let out a belly laugh and said, you know, I have heard that rumor before but have never been able to get anyone to actually do it so I'm glad to know it wasn't just a rumor.

Katz, Mollie makes a good point that you have still lost the same amount of weight even if you scale was flawed. Those smaller jeans you are able to wear are the proof!

I need some advice from you all. My husband has been exercising and trying to "watch" what he eats but hasn't committed to tracking his calories saying he already has to track carbs (type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump). Keep in mind he is 73 and slightly (ha, ha) set in his ways. Yesterday he decided he would track his calories but he isn't measuring and we all know our eyeballing isn't always accurate. For example, he was eating peanut butter and apples. I asked him if he wanted me to measure out the peanut butter and he said no I will just take the jar :noway: then estimated 2 Tbsp. My question is, should I "push" him to measure and weigh his food or just let it go? I know I don't appreciate his unsolicited advice and so far have tried to stay out of it unless he asks. Like he will say can I have butter on that and I will tell him he can have whatever he wants as long as he is willing to use the calories. How would you all handle it?

I see now that my post has been all about me!! Sorry about that ladies. I really have read your posts and enjoy reading them but now can't remember who said what :sad: I really need to take notes as I read!!

I hope that those with thyroid issues find out that spinach is not bad for you because it is SO YUMMY!! My four-letter word is "can't". Whether it is what we can't eat...can't accomplish...or can't do. We CAN do it and we WILL.

Have a great day!!!
    Cathy
This discussion has been closed.