Calories Not Accurate on HRM?

124»

Replies

• ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    It's my understanding that a treadmill will use a simple physics formula of Work= mass x distance to calculate your caloric burn. If you do a mile on the treadmill, you should get around the same caloric burn as a mile on the street(as long as that mile is level). You might try an experiment, where you try it out to compare. If nothing else you could do 4 laps around the track at your local high school with your HRM, and at the same pace do a mile on the treadmill. See how close they are to each other.

This has been driving me crazy so I actually went on another run last night with the stroller to see what it said. I used the app, "run keeper" on my iphone to track mileage. It said I ran 2.81 miles in 29 minutes and burned 200 something cals. My HRM said I burned 340 cals. That would be running at 5.7 mph, which is definitely not correct. My run earlier that day was 2 miles and I ran that in 30 minutes also. I was running at 4.2 mph. My average heart rate was 166 both runs. I'm gonna drive around my route on my way to the gym and see what the mileage really is, cause there's no way I was running 5.7 mph with a stroller and 30 pound kid in it!
This discussion has been closed.