Oatmeal - How long does it take to get used to it???

Replies

• mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    I'm not quite sure how long it would take to get used to it... some people just don't like some things, but I can share how I like my oatmeal.

I love playing around with ingredients but the base for my oatmeal is always:
    -1/3 cup rolled oats
    - 1/3 cup 1% milk (or skim)
    - 1/3 cup water
    - 1 medium banana (adds the perfect amount of sweetness and a slight banana flavor)

Then when the basic oatmeal is cooked, I add a splash of vanilla extract, and mix in whatever sounds good to me... sometimes it's strawberries and blueberries, sometimes it's dried apples and cinnamon, sometimes strawberries and pomegranate, and sometimes i'll just mix in a tablespoon of peanut butter and top it with some semisweet chocolate chips for a peanut butter cup flavored oatmeal.... the possibilities are endless!!! (i've even tried recipes like carrot cake oatmeal or pumpkin pie oatmeal). Feel free to experiment with things that excite you!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Go to the Quaker Oatmeal website and it has recipes on there you can try. I love a half of a cut up banana in mine with a packet or two of Stevia.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    I love steel cut oats and Coach's Oats (we get the huge bag from Costco).

I always add banana, walnuts, honey, sweetened almond milk, and/or blueberries to mine. I'm not looking for low-cal in the morning. I'm looking for a ton of energy for the day!
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    I'm not the biggest fan of oatmeal. But I def like it better when its made w/ milk. And I perfer it to have strawberrys in it, maybe a few nuts or raisins. But you guys have some good ideas I'd like to try....
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Oatmeal, in my opinion, is disgusting. Just find something else to eat.

ditto, just go with fiber one cereal
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I add a 1/2 frozen blueberries, 1 t of ground flaxseed and 1 T of sweetened coconut flakes.
    If you put flaxseed in it, make sure you put it in when the oatmeal is DONE cooking. Otherwise you could get a really jell-o-like texture... And if you thought oatmeal was nasty... :laugh:
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    It's not just "that it's not as healthy." It's clearly unhealthy, as it is precooked and has a much higher glycemic level than regular (or steel-cut) oatmeal. It digests so quickly, the body treats it like a sugar. And, it has a lot of ADDED sugar. It may seem low-calorie, but it's as unhealthy as a kid's sugary breakfast cereal. Instant oatmeal is about as far away from an oat as bleached white cake flour is to a wheatberry. And then, most people cook it in the microwave, and there's always controversy about nutritional damage from that. (?I don't know?)
    Regular oatmeal *which you can get much cheaper if you buy in bulk*(plus environmentally better since you don't use the packaging) also cooks up quickly in the microwave. But if you have time, the best is steel-cut oats. If you soak them in the pot overnight, you can cook it up as quick as rice in the morning, or just cook it overnight in a crockpot!
    Then add your own blueberries (I use frozen most of the time), flaxseed, whatever, and choose your own form of sweetener.
  • ADD A TABLESPOON OF LOW CAL UNSALTED PEANUT BUTTER

the fat in peanut butter is actually great for you :) anddd if you keep the peanut butter cold and don't melt it too much it will taste like ice cream chunks in the sea of tasteless oatmeal hhaha hope that helped :)
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Another way to include oats in your diet without tasting them is to blend a 1/4 cup into your smoothie.
    My recipe:
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk: 35 cal
    1/4 cup rolled or regular oats: 75 cal
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries: 40 cal
    1 scoop vanilla EAS 100% whey protein powder: 130
    1 tbsp Hershey's dark unsweetened cocoa powder: 10 cal
    -Blend until smooth. 290 calories total.
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    I mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein, vanilla ice cream flavor is my favorite) into the oatmeal and mix in either fresh cut apples and cinnamon, or bananas, raisins and walnuts, or lite maple syrup, or pb, etc. I think it tastes yummy and the protein and the fruit make oatmeal a super food. http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/abs-diet-weekly-meal-plan-recipes
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    I love all the great suggested add-in's for oatmeal ......

My personal favorite ....

I like my Oats thicker done with water ( I know I am the strange one) with some maple, dried apples, cranberries and raisins. (I have given up the butter since making my life change ..... :o( .................. )
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter (100 calories) and 2 tablespoons of light hershey syrup (45 calories) on your oatmeal (150 calories) will make it taste like a chocolate, oatmeal, peanut butter cookie and it's only 300 calories:love:

Forgot to mention that I use steel cut "groats", it's waaaay better than the instant stuff!

this is how i eat mine i will even add half of a banana and it is YUMMY!!!!!
  • What I do every morning is I take 30g of oatmeal, with milk and sugar. I really started liking it !
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Quick or instant rolled oats are too gummy for me, but I love steel cut (or Scottish or pinhead) oats. It's inexpensive in the bulk food section, and can be cooked on the stovetop or in a slow cooker overnight. Alton Brown has a couple of recipes for it on the Food Network site. It's nutty and flavorful with a lower glycemic index and more complete nutrition. Great with a touch of honey, brown sugar, or agave (or stevia if you like that), vanilla, and some fresh or thawed frozen fruit. I make a bigger batch and keep it in the fridge for a few days worth of whole grain breakfasts.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    ADD A TABLESPOON OF LOW CAL UNSALTED PEANUT BUTTER

the fat in peanut butter is actually great for you :) anddd if you keep the peanut butter cold and don't melt it too much it will taste like ice cream chunks in the sea of tasteless oatmeal hhaha hope that helped :)
    Try and get organic peanut butter because of pesticides (which are really high in peanut crops).
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    For me - never. I hate the stuff. I used to eat the super-loaded-with-sugar type long, long ago. I still can't eat the real thing.

However, I do like the bran hot cereal Hodgkin Mills puts out. The texture's different, 's all I can figure.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    I too used to hate oatmeal. Alton Brown to the rescue, as I first got to liking my oats a year ago as steel-cut "Irish" oats. Now I'm okay with plain whole oats too.
    Best thing I ever did for preparation is I got a Cuisinart Rice Cooker. A couple scoops of oats, 3 cups of water, and then any of the other previous 'goodies' thrown into the cooker in the morning. Hit the 'ON' button and then get the dog's leash and we go for a brisk 1 mile / 20 minute walk. When we come in the door Breakfast is ready!

The cooker came with suggestions for both steel-cut and whole oats.
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    It took me a couple of weeks of eating oatmeal every day to get used to it and crave it. Now I get the HUGE container of raw oats and here's a few ideas of how I have my oatmeal - some of them aren't terribly healthy, but they're ideas! LOL I do make it w/ 1/2 cup of almond or low fat milk and sweeten w/ either brown sugar or sweet & low/splenda/whatever is handy. You could also sweeten w/ agave syrup - i think that would be tasty.

Anyhow, here are a few ideas for add-ins....

1. 2 tablespoons of peanut (or almond) butter & banana (SUPER yum!)

2. 1/8 cup of dark choc chips & 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (another fave!)

3. 1/2 cup of pumpkin purree & 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (YUM!!!)

4. 1/2 cup of blueberry compote (homemade) - maybe some greek yogurt mixed in there - just depends!

5. Strawberries & greek yogurt

You can also check hungry girl, she always has great ideas for oatmeal....

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/876

I absolutely LOVE oatmeal!! :love:

I am definitely going to try some of these variations!!
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    I make mine with water but I add a tablespoon of sugar free apricot preserves, cinnamon and a packet of stuvia. Or mix it with any sugar free preserves. Makes it sweet and filling, without added sugar. Yummie!!
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    With all this oatmeal discussion I made savory oatmeal for dinner!
    1/2 cup oats
    3/4 cup water
    1 tsp spinach/herb seasoning
    3/4 oz goat cheese
    1/4 cup peas
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    2 diced peppadew peppers

SO good! :d
This discussion has been closed.