The Price of Health?

Options
A few people here have talked about this before so I would like to really get a conversation going to figure something out.

Does it cost more to eat healthy or not?

To buy SOME items yes it is far more pricey, or cheaper. But overall I haven't seen my budget change at all just to make a few changes to be healthy. Eating speciality items either super diet foods or fast food are going to be pricey, but those are extremes either way. So.....

::DISCUSS!::

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    A few people here have talked about this before so I would like to really get a conversation going to figure something out.

Does it cost more to eat healthy or not?

To buy SOME items yes it is far more pricey, or cheaper. But overall I haven't seen my budget change at all just to make a few changes to be healthy. Eating speciality items either super diet foods or fast food are going to be pricey, but those are extremes either way. So.....

::DISCUSS!::
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes actually I have noticed a difference. Healthy food is more expensive.

I noticed my grocery bill has went up about 15 - 20 a week from what it used to be (we're a family of 5 full time.. family of 6 sometimes).
  • FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I really haven't seen a difference. We no longer buy unhealthy shacks like chips and cookies and premade meal items (or at least very rarely) and those are often expensive. (For example chips can be almost $4 for a big bag while right now a cantelope costs $1.29.) Also it depends on what exactly you buy for health food. We don't buy any of those 100 calorie snack packs or anything other convenience foods like that so I haven't really seen an increase in cost due to eating healthier. Overall I would say that eating healthy does not cost more and if it does it costs only a little bit more.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you on this too. Some items may be more pricey than others. I haven't noticed a great change in my budget as far as the cost becoming a problem, if anything I've noticed that I am able to save little. Buying fresh fruits (a weeks worth) verses buying already cut and packed and added sugar and or syrup cost just about the same.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think for me, the price increase is from the healthier meats, lean cuts are priced higher (those meanies!)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    It costs a lot more.

My college diet (aka BROKE diet) consisted of ramen noodles, soups, spaghettis, frozen pizzas, fish sticks, mac n cheese, etc. All cheap foods, all extremely unhealthy. I don't ever remember having fresh fruit in the house. I occasionally would have salad makings, but usually not. For that matter, cheap fast food was a staple in my diet as well. Dollar menus are extremely unhealthy but they fit the budget.

Now, with healthier meals, fresh fruits and veggies, leaner meats, low fat and low cal snacks, our grocery bill has gone up (even excluding inflation).

In the end, it's worth the trade off.
    I pay for my gym membership, why wouldn't I pay more for healthier food?

Also, I know I could grow my own veggies, or I could make it to the Farmer's Market or roadside stands, but that takes time I don't have. Instead, I pay more for the convenience of those foods at the grocery store. It's a trade off I'm willing to make.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    It's not too much more expensive but when I had my son on the GFCF diet my bill went from 100 to 300 it was crazy!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hmm, when it comes to certain things, they are more expensive but it's all about where you buy them.
    Morningstar Farm products for example area always a good $1.00 cheaper at like Target or Walmart. I just try to look at each thing and figure how much it is per meal and figure if it's worth it or not.

Also, I tend to buy what is on sale, so for things like light ice cream or a frozen meal (i don't eat them often, but they are good to have around), I will get what is on sale that week and you often save A LOT doing it that way. Same with yogurt, etc. I will buy what is on sale. I buy a lot of frozen veggies too and again get what is on sale. If you do it that way, you won't see much of a difference.

The only items I sort of take it easy on and don't buy ALL the time are the Amy's products which I rarely see on sale. I love a few of her dishes (the Mexican Tamale Pie and the Santa Fe Enchildada Bowl) but I don't see spending that kind of money ALL the time.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Like almost everything in life, there's a trade-off here.

Before I changed my diet, I was taking about $300. worth of prescription meds a month. Now I take none.

I think if you're willing to invest more time, you can save money. That means farmer's markets, buying what's in season and cooking your own food. I'll always make an extra serving or two when I cook and freeze it. (Tah-dah. . .my own convenience food for later). I do find that eating better involves a lot more thought and planning than grabbing what's easily available.

What it comes down to, in my book, is there's no price you can put on quality of life. :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Hey there! Thanks for the input so far! Very interesting! :smile:

So what was being eaten before and now to make the difference?

I do know if I ate at one extreme or another it would be either way too pricey. Going all organic, soy, tofu products yes it would be more expensive. Someone who is eating out all the time, fried boxed pre-made foods would be very pricey as well.

(Dollar figures rounded to nearest dollar)

One meal for four at McWhatever:
    - - - - - Burger meal $5 each X 2 adults $10
    - - - - - Happy Meals $4 each X 2 kids = $8
    $18

Or

Fried frozen food for two meals family of four:
    - - - - - box of Banquet chicken $6
    - - - - - frozen french fries $6
    - - - - - frozen veggies $5
    - - - - - gallon of milk $4
    $21

Or here are a few things we eat:

Two meals worth of food for our family of four:
    - - - - - frozen chicken breasts for $7
    - - - - - rolls $2
    - - - - - lettuce & tomato for salad $3
    - - - - - salad spritzer dressing $2
    - - - - - gallon of 2% milk $4
    $18

Or

Sushi ingredients for family of four two meals:
    - - - - - frozen bag of crab meat $4
    - - - - - rice $3
    - - - - - seaweed $2
    - - - - - avocado $3
    - - - - - cucumber $2
    $18

Or

Spaghetti for two meals family of four:
    - - - - - turkey ground $4
    - - - - - spaghetti noodles $3
    - - - - - sauce for spaghetti either home made or pre-made $4
    - - - - - fresh broccoli $3
    $18
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    I'll always make an extra serving or two when I cook and freeze it. (Tah-dah. . .my own convenience food for later). I do find that eating better involves a lot more thought and planning than grabbing what's easily available.

That is kind of what I am thinking. My grocery bill always goes up when I don't plan. I feel like special treats healthy or not, are always pricier.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    It's not too much more expensive but when I had my son on the GFCF diet my bill went from 100 to 300 it was crazy!!

Hey there!!! What is the GFCF diet?
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Yes it costs more. All organic fruits and vegetables, non-genetically modified, non-hormone, non-government subsidized, etc. etc. does cost more.

When I was single buying all my groceries the highest quality I could find - with a large variety of foods, I was paying upward of $800 a month in groceries. That included about $30-80 a week at the farmers market. I was in the best shape and healthiest of my life, cooking everything from scratch from high quality specialty ingredients. We just plain can't afford that right now.

Ed to add: There are certain things that I always buy organic and certain things that I buy ordinary brands. We don't use prepackaged and we don't eat out. Now we spend about $350 a month on groceries for a family of four. I am wheat / gluten / egg and dairy free. My son is dairy free. Soy yogurt rarely costs less than $1 per yogurt cup. Specialty flours usually come in small packages and costs more per pound than wheat flour.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Like almost everything in life, there's a trade-off here.

Before I changed my diet, I was taking about $300. worth of prescription meds a month. Now I take none.

AMEN TO THAT!! I was around $250 a month in copays on meds. Now, just the birth control meds monthly, by choice.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oh it's definitely more expensive, not only because the food is costlier, but also because when you don't buy processed crap, you have to buy it every week or it goes bad. But I'm very ok with paying more for healthy food.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my weekly bills have gone down, but per month it is up, because the food spoils when its fresh, so I have to buy each week. Where as before I could by bulk frozen/processed foods and keep them on hand for a few weeks.

Overall fruits and veggies are less costly than the other snacks that I used to eat.
    And cutting out soda and sweetened "juices" and teas has cut back on a lot.

Buying cuts of meat is probably where the biggest cost comes in.
    Bu I tend to buy the larger sizes at the market (2lb, 5lb) and individually wrap sections for later.
    Buying in bulk is cheaper when you can freeze things like chicken and beef.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

tell me about it girl!!! sigh....we are still not there all the way w/ Nick...but are still trying all kinds of new gf foods now...pricey pricey pricey! ah well its worth it right?!

hugs!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my weekly bills have gone down, but per month it is up, because the food spoils when its fresh, so I have to buy each week. Where as before I could by bulk frozen/processed foods and keep them on hand for a few weeks.

Overall fruits and veggies are less costly than the other snacks that I used to eat.
    And cutting out soda and sweetened "juices" and teas has cut back on a lot.

Buying cuts of meat is probably where the biggest cost comes in.
    Bu I tend to buy the larger sizes at the market (2lb, 5lb) and individually wrap sections for later.
    Buying in bulk is cheaper when you can freeze things like chicken and beef.

I do the same thing w/ the meats...its much more cost friendly....also I look for or wait for sales on say boneless chicken breasts and freeze them up in meal size packs its a huge difference between 1.99 a lb and 3.99 a lb:noway:

fresh veggies I try to buy about once a week too....and sometimes will buy frozen broccoli spears just for a pinch or frozen stir fry veggies just in case I run out before shopping...and those are relatively cheap too and last.

hugs and best of luck everyone!
    Ali :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    For me it's about the same. Yes I buy more produce but I stopped buying other crap which helps balance things out.
    I just wish my fav yogurt wasn't so expensive (bio best)!! I go through 2 tubs a week and they are almost $4 each!!! Now that's mad!! I've started using the a cheaper kind ($2.99) but it just doesn't taste the same!! Ugh!

Oh well! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    I was worried that others would think I was being silly when I posted on this topic. So thank you for sharing how it is going for you so far. It almost seems like there are many "levels" of eating??? I kind of saw more than just three...but interesting..

Quick junk munch - usually opting for quick food solutions, going out to eat and prepackaged foods

Middle of the road - few treats, cooking at home

Healthy nuts - using fresh, organic, all natural ingredients