fast food - let's try this again

13»

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Good rule of thumb I heard: "If it comes in a paperbag through the window of your car, it's not food". :)

Thank god, Starbucks doesn't come in a bag :laugh:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    seriously only McDonalds could screw up a perfectly healthy prepackage item like an egg! I can't understand why there are so many added ingredients.

Not just McDonald's, you can buy things just like it at the grocery store...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    McDonalds pours their eggs out of a container which is why they need so many additives and preservatives. Egg Beaters have a lot of additives and preservatives, too:

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/08/19/egg-beaters-and-cholesterol-confusion/

Egg beaters contain 20 ingredients:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

I totally agree that there really isn't much at McDonalds that's good for you. But there's not much in any pre-packaged foods that is good for you.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Good rule of thumb I heard: "If it comes in a paperbag through the window of your car, it's not food". :)

Thank god, Starbucks doesn't come in a bag :laugh:

amen!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    :tongue: MMmmmm Cake....
  • jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Why does it need so many ingredients?
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 526 Member
    McDonald's uses an "egg mix" for all of the scrambled and "folded" eggs. The egg mcmuffin variety eggs are real eggs that they actually crack open. LOL

An plain egg and cheese on an english muffin (the real egg) is the only thing I EVER get there with the exception of the oatmeal as an occasional treat.

I managed a McDonalds for many years in my younger days.....I know what to eat and what not to from there! LOL
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I dont understand the point of this thread? Okay no nothing at McDonalds or any other non home place is going to be real healthy.. But you know most of what Americans cook at home isn't healthy either. However, those eggs have a lot of protein, which is great for your muscles and are about the same calories as 2 real eggs and way better for you then a BIG MAC or a sausage biscuit or whatever else you're thinking of getting from there. Not jumping on you for posting.. Not sure what point you were trying to get across eithe though.
    As far as pronouncing what's in them. Can you pronounce everything in the pasta, or the cereal, or protein shake, or the anything not able to be grown?

Hmm pasta let's see, here's what's in the Barilla plus pasta: semolina, lentils, chickpeas, flaxseed, barley, spelt, oats, egg whites, oat fiber, durum flour, niacin, iron, thiamine, ribolavin, folic acid. Pretty simple not super healthy by a long shot, but also not loaded with unnatural things.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    I haven't eaten at a McDonald's since childhood (I am a vegetarian, we really can't trust anything there, people may actually be right about the water) but that photo would be enough to turn me off their food. That was all I got from the link, but I don't need convincing there isn't any food in their food.

I honestly don't get the appeal. No judgement, I have cravings for stuff that is unhealthy, too, and I understand the attraction of food that we know full well is bad for us (like a huge hunk of crusty rustic bread smeared with some type of fatty-creamy imported cheese and roasted fig-rosemary jam and a big glass of wine...then a huge plate of pasta...then maybe dessert...then more wine). I just think that 99% of fast food places serve *kitten* nasty food that doesn't even look or taste very good.

I walk in between a Jack in the Box and a McDonald's to get to the hiking trail where I exercise my dog and the smell is unbelievable, not to mention the piles of litter everywhere. Even the photos they have posted of their menu items look unappetizing. My partner isn't vegetarian and he gets fast food every once in a while and then complains about it being gross, soggy or cold and then tells me we make better burgers at home for less than half the price! (note: this always leads to me having to make burgers and oven fries within a few days because, "Please baby, that burger didn't get rid of my craving!")

Please don't jump down my throat if you think fast food is yummy. I am not saying you are a bad person or have crappy taste in food, I am just saying that I don't get it. I like stuff other people think sucks or is nasty (like Kimchi, extra stinky and spicy) and try not to judge other people for what they think tastes good.

Even if they are wrong. (Joking!)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Stupid double posting MFP.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    McDonalds has THE BEST diet coke in da world.

that is all.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    The ONLY thing I get at this place is sliced apples and water
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    It frightens me that I used to eat at places like that.

Now just the look of that so called food turns my stomach.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    I haven't eaten at a McDonald's since childhood (I am a vegetarian, we really can't trust anything there, people may actually be right about the water) but that photo would be enough to turn me off their food. That was all I got from the link, but I don't need convincing there isn't any food in their food.

I honestly don't get the appeal. No judgement, I have cravings for stuff that is unhealthy, too, and I understand the attraction of food that we know full well is bad for us (like a huge hunk of crusty rustic bread smeared with some type of fatty-creamy imported cheese and roasted fig-rosemary jam and a big glass of wine...then a huge plate of pasta...then maybe dessert...then more wine). I just think that 99% of fast food places serve *kitten* nasty food that doesn't even look or taste very good.

I walk in between a Jack in the Box and a McDonald's to get to the hiking trail where I exercise my dog and the smell is unbelievable, not to mention the piles of litter everywhere. Even the photos they have posted of their menu items look unappetizing. My partner isn't vegetarian and he gets fast food every once in a while and then complains about it being gross, soggy or cold and then tells me we make better burgers at home for less than half the price! (note: this always leads to me having to make burgers and oven fries within a few days because, "Please baby, that burger didn't get rid of my craving!")

Please don't jump down my throat if you think fast food is yummy. I am not saying you are a bad person or have crappy taste in food, I am just saying that I don't get it. I like stuff other people think sucks or is nasty (like Kimchi, extra stinky and spicy) and try not to judge other people for what they think tastes good.

Even if they are wrong. (Joking!)

You made me hungry with all that bread and cheese and wine talk, Jenny!!

I completely agree though - it certainly does not taste better than anything you can make at home. The last time I was at a McDonald's (I haven't gone by choice in -years-, but I was on a roadtrip and the rest of the car wanted to stop), I got a grilled chicken with no sauce and pulled it off the bun to eat, and it still tasted greasy!

I don't see the convenience excuse either - it takes me 10 minutes on Sunday to cut up all my veggies and put 5 salads into tupperware for my week's lunches.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    You have replace the %20 with a space to get the link to work.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I don't think there is anything at McDonalds that is healthy....except maybe water :smile:

They probably put beef fat in the water, too!! LOL

Mmmmm beef fat. I wish they went back to using beef tallow for frying stuff again instead of stupid vegetable based oils, but since people seemed to think that was somehow less healthy, we get hydrogenated oils.

Hear, hear!
This discussion has been closed.