30 Day Shred Challenge 9/1--First day!!!

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Does anyone use a heart rate monitor while shredding? I'm just curious as to how many calories (on average) I am burning. I have been logging it as "circuit training, general" and it says for 20 minutes I burn 160 cals. Thanks and good job to everyone-This is a hard workout:smile:

I usually get a reading of around 160-170 for the 20 minutes but last time I used 10lb weights, and when Jillian is explaing the next move, I add jumping jacks or skip ropes, and I burned just over 200 last time!!! I'm going to really push myself and see how much I can burn.

I find that the crunches really cause the heart rate to go down - like below 100 - I guess that is part of what increases our cario endurance and recovery? But it really slows down the calorie burn!
    :flowerforyou:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    So I was back at it this morning, taking last night off just made me more hungry to work out wilth Jillian today!

Great work everyone!:drinker:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I guess I am resting today or just do some sort of cardio later on. Happy Saturday!! :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Level two didn't seem to hurt me as much as Level one did. Is it because I'm in better shape? Or just too weak to do the moves properly? I dunno. Some of the stuff hurts my back, and I don't know if I'm keeping my "plank" or whatever she calls it straight enough to work the right places. Think I should stick to level one a while longer? Curious as to your thoughts one and all.
  • emikarls
    Level two didn't seem to hurt me as much as Level one did. Is it because I'm in better shape? Or just too weak to do the moves properly? I dunno. Some of the stuff hurts my back, and I don't know if I'm keeping my "plank" or whatever she calls it straight enough to work the right places. Think I should stick to level one a while longer? Curious as to your thoughts one and all.

There are moves on Level 1 that I find much harder to do then L2 moves. I tried L2 but I felt like i wanted to perfect my form on L1 before I moved on. I wanted to follow Natalie more too. Now, I think I may have more weight to lose than the people doing 2 levels at a time, and already rocking L2 or L3, I am super jealous, but I know I have to move at my own pace. And I will get there soon enough.

If I were you, I would keep on with L2, if you could do it - by all means ROCK ON! I hope to move up there in a few more days. You are getting stronger and your endurance is better and you are already a super woman raising 9 kids, you can kick butt on L2!!!!!

GOOD LUCK:flowerforyou:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    A few of you mentioned taking a day off. I do! Today is the day. I take one day off a week and today I walked 7 miles around the golf course. Just need to take a break once in a while. I find when I do this, and I shred the next day, I have more energy. Good for the mind and body. Happy shredding all!
  • allisgood
    allisgood Posts: 45 Member
    Shredded everyday but decided to do an hour of yoga today....boy did that feel great...needed to stretch out my muscles......aaahhhhh......

Tomorrow Shred level 2 and an hour run.....I am noticing changes!!!

Good luck all....thanks for logging in... I love reading the comments from everyone.
    Peace.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    OK, I did level 1 again today. I have taken one day off so far - I plan to do the routine 5-6 times a week. MAYBE tomorrow I will try to move on level 2 - I felt pretty good with level 1 today. The only moves that are really tough for me are the shoulder raises at the end. And, since I am doing the pushup challenge also, I am not doing all the pushups in the workout. If it is a day I am already doing (regular plank-style) pushups, then I will go ahead and do them on my knees during Shred. But if it is a rest day, I am just holding plank position or alternating lifting one leg then the other while in plank.

I have worn my HRM a couple of times - I am burning 150-170 calories during the level 1 workout, which is actually almost 27 minutes (I am 5'7" and about 164lbs).

Good luck everyone!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Happy Sunday!!! I did levels 1 and 3 today. It was my first time doing level 3. It is tough, a lot of plyometrics, it was fun though....I like a challenge. Now I am off to Sea World with my son!!! Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Hi Ladies...

TOM hit me hard today :ohwell: - I'm taking the day off from all exercise!!! (except chasing the kids and our daily walk of course).

I'll be back in action tomorrow - yay to all of you ladies who are working so hard!!!!
  • Just checking in... It's been a very busy few days, and I haven't shredded since Thursday. Getting back on track and I'm doing Level 1 today. :)
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Just checking in... It's been a very busy few days, and I haven't shredded since Thursday. Getting back on track and I'm doing Level 1 today. :)

I am back...finally.... and also haven't SHREDDED since Thurs...the place I stayed in Destin didn't have a DVD player!

I did get a great room though...old florida style...right on the beach overlooking the lifeguard station. :laugh:

OK...OK...back to Jillian...you should have seen the lifeguards daily routine in the morning... an intense workout right on the beach and in the water. :smokin: :devil:

Did I tell you the outdoor shower they used was right below my balcony. :tongue: :noway:

This was completely by chance and out of the ordinary but still... great scenery ladies! :glasses:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

Mi
  • Does anyone use a heart rate monitor while shredding? I'm just curious as to how many calories (on average) I am burning. I have been logging it as "circuit training, general" and it says for 20 minutes I burn 160 cals. Thanks and good job to everyone-This is a hard workout:smile:

I usually get a reading of around 160-170 for the 20 minutes but last time I used 10lb weights, and when Jillian is explaing the next move, I add jumping jacks or skip ropes, and I burned just over 200 last time!!! I'm going to really push myself and see how much I can burn.

I find that the crunches really cause the heart rate to go down - like below 100 - I guess that is part of what increases our cario endurance and recovery? But it really slows down the calorie burn!
  • Does anyone use a heart rate monitor while shredding? I'm just curious as to how many calories (on average) I am burning. I have been logging it as "circuit training, general" and it says for 20 minutes I burn 160 cals. Thanks and good job to everyone-This is a hard workout:smile:

oops! Still trying to figure out all this. Anyhoo...10 pound weights!!?? I thought I could do fives and actually backed down to 3# each the second time I shredded. During those 3 seconds I thought my arms were going to fall off. I am REALLY impressed!:smile:
  • emikarls
    Alrighty, I just finished Shreding....the scale did not move this week for me:angry: OH well, I am going to keep on keeping on. I have not gone over my calories, so I know it is just one of those things.

Happy Shredding fellow shredders!
    :drinker:
  • Well I was shredding every other day for the first week. Today is a day of rest for me and now tomorrow I'm going to try shredding daily. My muscles don't feel as stiff after each workout now so I'm sure I can handle it. If this week goes well I'll be trying Level 2 next week!

Happy Shredding Everyone!

Shauna:flowerforyou:
  • momandwife
    momandwife Posts: 151 Member
    I Shredded everyday from the beginning ....... I tried Level 3 on Saturday. OooOOhhh Myyyy ...... needless to say ...... I took Sunday as a day of rest. My muscles are SORE!!!

Back in action on Monday!!

Happy Shredding!! :flowerforyou:
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Confession-I took a day off-kinda:ohwell: I started into level one-it was almost 9pm-to late in my book to exercise-and then the baby started crying-which im sure he will do for most of the night because he has a cold and can't breathe through his nose very well. So, I got through circuit one, then went to take care of my lil' guy and then just decided to can it! I had good intentions too. I wanted to do the shred 30 days straight, just to see what the results would be. I am really sore though. I took a hot hot bath to help out with that. I am shredding tomorrow though. I know that I haven't lost any LBs yet:mad: but that is to be expected when mother nature comes into play...I do feel like my shoulders are looking pretty tone, kinda bony almost-but in a good way. Also, i am feeling like level one is kinda easy. So i might move on to level 2 tomorrow, and then when i am sore go back to level one, kinda as my rest day. :happy:
  • So..I have done 7 days straight so far. I can see my body changing..but my scale HATES me!
    I did Level 1 today just to have something different. I have been doing Level 2. I am scared to try Level 3...I know it is going to hurt..LOL
    Everyone keep up the good work..and I can't wait to see pictures at the end of the month of all of the shredded bodies...or dead ones<--me.
  • I know that I am a week late into this challenge but I would like to join. I have 30 day shred and have had it for about 1 mth now. I have not even taken it out of its wrapping. Tomorrow morning. i will be trying it out for the first time. I will let everyone know how it goes!!!

I have been reading this post for about 2 or 3 days! Everyone is doing wonderful! I think I will measure as it sounds like the scale is not moving but everyone is toning up first!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: