What do you do about the naysayers?

2»

Replies

• My immediate response?.....don't tell them:tongue:

Somehow, I don't think my mom would like to hear that she needs to mind her own business! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did say that....just said don't have to let people know your watching your weight:tongue:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Tamara, been meaning to tell you that I love your dog! How old is it?
  • andlofly
    andlofly Posts: 62 Member
    I hate that BMI rating but only about half as much as I hate the healthy weight range chart. I'm 42 and only 5'1". I'm not big boned. In fact, I would consider myself to be small framed. My goal weight is 130. I'm just over 140 and already feeling pretty good.

I think there are better measures than BMI (and weight for that matter). What about healthy blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose levels... how about the fact that I walk four miles in just about one hour... and I can keep up in my aerobics classes without loosing my breath (FINALLY!!)... I don't want to get so focused on a BMI or a weight that I know is not realistic for me. I know that if I were to try to maintain a weight of 120 or less I would be hungry, grumpy, and unpleasant to be around!!

I think that each of us need to find a goal weight WE are comfortable with. As long as you are healthy and feeling good... let them say what they want to say... you know what's right and true!! No need to start questioning your judgement about what is right for you. Nobody knows how you feel (or look under those jeans) better than you do.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Wow. Sorry to hear people are trying to undermine you.

Statistics tell us that fully 2/3 of Americans are overweight!! Maybe overweight has become the "norm" so people are uncomfortable when you try to improve your health. They can see just by looking at you what they should be doing themselves and it's upsets them subconsciously.

I am constantly getting told that I'm weird. I'm vain. I'm obsessed and have an eating disorder. (honestly I'm not) And when people bring in fried treats and cakes, and I politely decline, they see it as insult, even if I don't say anything more than a sweet "no thanks".

That's why I like MFP. Here you can talk to others who do want to be healthier than "the norm". And I wish you success!!!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi

It's so weird when you loose weight.....completely different than id you were naturally a certain weight
    I started here at 157 (5'7) and am now 128-129
    I walk everyday and do yoga...eat well and feel healthy
    Just today we had family over and all I heard was that I was TOO thin and I shouldn't loose anymore (I don't plan to)
    I think if I was always naturally 128-129 no one would have anything to say

WEIRD!
    Kim
  • My immediate response?.....don't tell them:tongue:

Somehow, I don't think my mom would like to hear that she needs to mind her own business! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've done it, in a respectful way... we differ on many things and sometimes she wants to force her way of doing things on me. If you are on a healthy track and taking care of your own body then it is part of taking care of yourself and owning your own health to have some boundaries. It can be done gently, or with humor, or just by skillfully moving the conversation in another direction.
  • Healthy range for that height is 94.7 (:noway: ) to 128.

Isn't that the craziest thing ever??? 95 pounds! WTF, seriously!

I weighed more than that when I was 5 I think! And, i can't believe a few inches in height can make such a difference either. But you really need to consider your body frame as well as the height and I think it would have to be a VERY small frame person to carry off 95 pounds.

I am 4'11" and my sil is 4'11" too. She is slight of frame, a beautiful Japanese woman. I am muscular and curvy. She weighs 92 to 95 lbs naturally, even after children. She does not diet and is very healthy. When I am at my leanest I weigh 98, but I like to weigh a little more, 102-108 lbs is where I feel best. I'm 114 now and although healthy I definitely have a little more fat than I should.

Edit - sorry, kids distracted me. I think your goal sounds fine. I don't have a clue what naysayers are thinking. If you are asked in a judgmental way you could always tell them that you are focused on being healthy (and move the topic away from weight.) Keep up the good work!
  • Tamara, been meaning to tell you that I love your dog! How old is it?

Aahhhh thanks ShoreRider! We love him...he's 2 1/2 already. He always has something in his mouth (kinda like me):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: