Ok So......

2»

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I don't really see the danger in a ketogenic diet in a non-diabetic. They've traditionally been used in juveniles with epilepsy as they can reduce the frequency of seizures. Normal individuals bodies' contain pH buffers that regulate ketone levels in the absence of dietary carbohydrates, and the body will produce its own glucose from some amino acids and glycerol. Granted, anaerobic activity in a glycogen-depleted stated relies on a really inefficient energy system, but other than that, things run like normal. The brain gets the glucose it needs, and actually will use more ketones than glucose unless body fat drops to dangerously low levels. Saturated fats aren't inherently evil either, and while they shouldn't comprise a majority of your calories, they are necessary for cell function and hormone production. Besides, no one says you *have* to stuff your face with bacon on Atkins. That's just human error.

The huge weight loss/gain we see in the beginning/ending stages of low/no-carb diets are due to glycogen replenishment and the water it binds to, barring overeating. But if you're overeating...it doesn't matter how you were eating previously, you're going to gain weight.

I do have to say, the ADA and I don't see totally eye-to-eye because I tend to think the USDA pyramid needs some masonry work. :laugh:
  • I apologize. Phase 1 is unhealthy, but phases 2 and 3 are good. If you want to know where I get my facts, look here:
    http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/South_Beach.pdf

I'm a dietetics student, so I research this quite thoroughly.

Atkins, is, and no matter what random sources anyone finds, unhealthy. A diet rich in saturated fats and low in complex carbohydrates is not a healthy weight loss plan. It not only in unhealthy, it is unsustainable.
    My aunt did Atkins for about 6 months, lost about 60 pounds, and all was well. And then she found she could not continue to do Atkins, and has not only gained back the weight, but has gained it back plus 20 pounds.

Anyone can do any diet they want (obviously), but a lot of the point of losing weight is to get healthy, so why not get healthy in a healthy way?

Here is the ADA's view on Atkins.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/media_3055_ENU_HTML.htm

http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I meant only the very restrictive part of the SB diet. The second and third phases are more similar to diets such as the "eat clean" diet and the USDA's food pyramid.

That's why I want to know specifics about a certain diet, I read the book itself. The Internet is full of misinformation.

No, Atkins done properly is not unhealthy. When most people think of Atkins they think of GOBS of cheese, fatty bacon and butter. That is a big misconception. When I did Atkins, I focused mainly on good fats. Yes, I did eat bacon occasionally and I also ate chicken with the skin on, but I also ate lots of leafy green/non-starchy vegetables, low sugar fruits and even some whole grain foods. Most people don't think of that when they think of the Atkins diet. When I say Atkins done properly, this is what I mean: http://www.atkins.com/food-pyramid.html. That is the way I did it...the correct way. What's so unhealthy about that?

Sorry but what happened to your aunt will happen on ANY diet if you go off of it. That doesn't just happen only on Atkins.
  • I don't really see the danger in a ketogenic diet in a non-diabetic. They've traditionally been used in juveniles with epilepsy as they can reduce the frequency of seizures. Normal individuals bodies' contain pH buffers that regulate ketone levels in the absence of dietary carbohydrates, and the body will produce its own glucose from some amino acids and glycerol. Granted, anaerobic activity in a glycogen-depleted stated relies on a really inefficient energy system, but other than that, things run like normal. The brain gets the glucose it needs, and actually will use more ketones than glucose unless body fat drops to dangerously low levels. Saturated fats aren't inherently evil either, and while they shouldn't comprise a majority of your calories, they are necessary for cell function and hormone production. Besides, no one says you *have* to stuff your face with bacon on Atkins. That's just human error.

The huge weight loss/gain we see in the beginning/ending stages of low/no-carb diets are due to glycogen replenishment and the water it binds to, barring overeating. But if you're overeating...it doesn't matter how you were eating previously, you're going to gain weight.

I do have to say, the ADA and I don't see totally eye-to-eye because I tend to think the USDA pyramid needs some masonry work. :laugh:

Very well said!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I think exercise is essential.

8 years ago I lost 20 pounds with diet alone-1200 cals I looked flabby and old. Tired.

I lost 20 pounds this time with diet and exercise, including weight lifting, and I look fantabulous. When you do any type of cardio not only use your legs, you use your core.

I also FEEL better-stronger.

My back is stronger, I can see my abs peeking through, my legs and arms are losing their flabby look and even my face looks better.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Oh that is so awesome that you changed things up...not that you merely changed things up but that you realized it was a healthier way to do it. I think folks that lose to fast in unhealthy ways look much older and tired when they've lost alot. But losing slower with healthy foods, and proper excercise, I see them looking much younger....you can see folks look 10-20 years younger just by what they eat, how they move their body and such!! :flowerforyou:

OMG...I know I may be in the minority here but I simply LOVE TO WORKOUT and feel that sweat dripping down my body during the hard workouts actually feels great, empowering....it's so healthy for your body in SO many ways. Sweat is clearing out impurities from your body...exercise is excellent for you mentally, physically, emotionally....omg....way to many more to mention.

I get alot of social interaction when working out at the gym, I get excited at how my body is changing, I feel stronger emotionally, big boost in my self esteem!!

I began to excercise and if I hadn't I really don't know that I would have had the weightloss I've had up to this point.
    My experience.:happy: ...:drinker:

It makes me puzzled and rather sad for a person grumbling as they walk in my gym and say how much they hate hate hate coming to the gym and working out, then there are those who say they don't mind working out for a little bit as long as they don't sweat.:huh: :noway:

Um, why I say it makes me sad is....I can't possibly imagine hating the gym, excercise and then being able to even stay motivated if you walk in saying you hate it. :laugh:

Some of these folks seem to have hated it the whole year I've been there and they have been there far logner. I have a very positive mind set...my goal is to be healtheir, whatever it takes, no matter how long, no matter how much mental sweat, physical sweat....well you get the idea.:drinker:

For those of you that 'hate it' or find it very difficult to want to go workout...how do you stay motivated? I'm NOT picking on anyone...please belive me...I am just curious and feel so lucky that I am someone that doesn't do that battle, I'm sure I have my own though in other ways. lol

Please don't feel I'm putting anyone down if anyone of you has mentioned hating to excercise...I'm merely saying how much I LOVE to move my body and the more I move it the easier it is each time. A year ago in July, my life changed forever something just plain ClICKED for me...it's never been the same.:happy:

I fought the fear, bought a suit and began taking water aerobics, soon began upstairs doing weights, adding more classes such as Yoga, Zumba, Pliates.....I take everything I can possibly fit in during my time there.

I am now again taking Qi Gong in the water with another woman, there used to be a class but the Yoga instructor that taught it had to move due to family illnesses. Jane invited me to continue the class with her...and WOW, if you ever get a chance to try it out... By all means....talk about Deeply moving and relaxing your body, mind and spirit.

Ok, my posts do get long and sorry if that bugs you but I'm pretty passionate about this site and sharing what's worked for me in losing over 100lbs. and learning from others what's working for them..because quite frankly somedays I wake up like it's all been a dream regarding my life changing:laugh: .

Thanks for reading this far...:laugh: :noway: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Once I quit 'dieting' (frankly that word annoys me becasue so many use it as a temorary fix...not a lifestyle change) I began to lose weight, have a strong desire to excercise and finally had hope at becoming healthy:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Thanks songbyrd, that make more sense to me. I don't think I could have lost any weight without exercise because I just like food too much. I can't cut what I eat by enough without exercise to create a calorie deficit. What I'm seeing with muscle is probably tone not an increase in size (which is way ok with me).

You remain my guru:happy:

Oh I'm the same way...I am small, and I don't need many calories to maintain my weight. I am also impatient, so I want a full 500 cal. deficit. :laugh: But if I'm at work for like 9 hours, and I'm on my feet all day, I have burnt enough calories from standing/walking so that I don't bother with trying to fit a workout in. It's just stressful and makes my otherwise beloved lifting feel like a chore. I think it's important for people to enjoy their exercise rather than feeling like they have to do it or they won't get anywhere.

I have seen huge changes in my definition. I have been through cutting/bulking phases, but most people who cycle agree that they tend to 'look bigger' when they're lean because their muscles are more defined, even though they will sometimes have to give up several lbs of muscle mass to get taht lean.

I'm glad I didn't lose you to my unorthodox (and somewhat discouraging) principles LOL :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
    Ok, I think I understand what you're saying now. It just seemed as though you were saying that excercise is not important and to just watch what you eat. Which I think everyone has done to a certain extent before (me included) and look where it got us.......

:drinker: