INSANITY!!!!! SUPPORT THREAD FOR NEWBIES OF INSANITY!

Replies

• AmandaBio
    AmandaBio Posts: 11 Member
    i've been doing insanity off and on for the last month. A friend and I were doing it together, but then summer break came so i bought insanity so i could do it during the summer. I finished my first straight week of Insanity today! :) I still take some breaks. I just want to be able to push through the next couple weeks. :)
  • SDH15
    SDH15 Posts: 35
    I may be doing something wrong form wise, but I didn't really feel like the stretches actually stretched me out. Anyone else have this problem?

Interesting.......you may be really flexible as it is - I feel all the stretches in the video. Focus on making sure your toes are pointed in the right direction, knees are never bent, and push (lead) with your chest. Unless your chest is right there hugging your thighs on some stretches then it means theres still room for flexibility! Good luck with your workouts, you'll definitely watch your endurance and strength grow!
  • SDH15
    i've been doing insanity off and on for the last month. A friend and I were doing it together, but then summer break came so i bought insanity so i could do it during the summer. I finished my first straight week of Insanity today! :) I still take some breaks. I just want to be able to push through the next couple weeks. :)

Congrats! For me it was around week 3 where I finished my first warmups without missing a beat and no breaks! Its fun to see your endurance grow!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    I may be doing something wrong form wise, but I didn't really feel like the stretches actually stretched me out. Anyone else have this problem?

Interesting.......you may be really flexible as it is - I feel all the stretches in the video. Focus on making sure your toes are pointed in the right direction, knees are never bent, and push (lead) with your chest. Unless your chest is right there hugging your thighs on some stretches then it means theres still room for flexibility! Good luck with your workouts, you'll definitely watch your endurance and strength grow!

I agree, watch your form and really listen to what Shaun T is asking you to do. You may not be getting completely stretched out yet until you are used to the stretches because you are still having to look up, and are learning the flow. I think that I stretch better now that I am on my 4th week and feel my muscles being really warmed up prior to the stretch.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    I have to admit I DID NOT want to get up this morning to do my excercise, I was feeling blah and was just thinking about the beating I was going to be taking...but sooo glad I pushed through! I am excited! 2 wk day 3....Cardio recovery tomorrow, that will be nice ;)
  • McghanK

I take breaks as well. The high knees, and mummy kicks kick my rear!! But I don't feel too bad when I take breaks because I see the people the video are dying as well and they are more fit than me ;)
  • SDH15
    Am i the only one who dreads cardio recovery! I find that one really hard haha. I can never stay in a deep seated squat position as long as Shaun T wants , lol the burn is too much!

Im a big fan of plyo, which is tonight's workout. Love the basketball drills, love pushing myself on pushups and floor sprints!
  • kristinmichele1215
    kristinmichele1215 Posts: 558 Member
    First REAL Insanity workout this morning. I did Plyo and WOWOWOWOWOWOW! The good news is I definitely have room for improvement! But, I feel great having gotten through it and am motivated to see this through :happy: Although, my body might not be in agreement tomorrow!!
  • McghanK
    Am i the only one who dreads cardio recovery! I find that one really hard haha. I can never stay in a deep seated squat position as long as Shaun T wants , lol the burn is too much!

Im a big fan of plyo, which is tonight's workout. Love the basketball drills, love pushing myself on pushups and floor sprints!

Well, I think we all have our different strenghts. I like doing the jumps and stuff, but I HATE THE FLOOR SPRINTS AND PUSHUPS. My arms burn too much when I do that so I welcome cardio recovery like a champ!! ;)
  • justsarah
    justsarah Posts: 17
    I love Insanity! My husband and I are doing it, although I took the last week off and I'm DREADING starting back up again. I'm assuming it will be really hard again, right when I was getting better and hardly stopping.

There are some moves that I still can't do fully - mainly anything revolving around pushups or planks... my butt is so high in the air just so I can get through it and I know that's bad form.

But, it's a great workout! If you are just starting out - push through!!
  • ric039
    ric039 Posts: 5 Member
    So my shoulders, calfs, and thighs steadily got stiffer today, but I still managed to get through today's workout. My shoulders aren't going to like me in the morning, lol, but I can tell I'm going to see some great results. Hopefully I don't burn all of my muscle though, I need to eat more.
  • I had my second fit test today and had a little improvement in each area, probably mostly because I forced myself to beat my first score! I definitely think the fit test is worse than any of the month one workouts (haven't done month 2 so don't know about that).

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • azb9
    azb9 Posts: 28 Member
    Hey guys I am just starting insanity, I am in week 1! I couldn't finish the Plyo all the way but I know I will improve with time.

I wanted to see how you guys track your Insanity in the Myfitnesspal excercise log... I just used "circuit training - general" what do you use???

Also, I am normally really conservative with my workout time I usually only log about 75% of my actual time to accomodate for stretching and water breaks. Does anyone else do this? How do you track your time?
  • kristinmichele1215
    Hey guys I am just starting insanity, I am in week 1! I couldn't finish the Plyo all the way but I know I will improve with time.

I wanted to see how you guys track your Insanity in the Myfitnesspal excercise log... I just used "circuit training - general" what do you use???

Also, I am normally really conservative with my workout time I usually only log about 75% of my actual time to accomodate for stretching and water breaks. Does anyone else do this? How do you track your time?

Hi!

I couldn't finish the end of the Plyo workout either. I was just staring in amazement that those people were still doing all those crazy moves at the end! I'm hoping I will be one of them one day soon :wink:

I track my exercise using a Heart Rate Monitor because I think it is the most accurate and takes all the guess work out of the equation. If you do look into getting one, make sure it is one that counts calories for you!

And that also addresses your other question, I count whatever calories my HRM reports, again no guess work! I highly recommend one, it's probably one of my top requirements for losing weight, personally :smile:
  • SDH15
    I dont have a HRM but I've been meaning to get one. In the meantime I have used the insanity nutrition book to calculate the daily caloric intake I should be getting and have set it into my MFP so I don't have to log my exercise. I know its different for every person, but out of curiousity - what type of calorie counts are you guys getting on plyo circuit/cardio power/pure cardio exercises?

Do you find that you burn more on the plyo circuit?
    Are you really getting upwards to 600-1000 calories burned like the websites claim?
  • hafrench
    hafrench Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Am starting Insanity tommorrow ( doing my fit test today). Am a little bnervous in starting this but am excited to do it at the same. I am a 28 year old female, 5'4 and 155 lbs,( about a size 10/M-L) who was in good shape and then slowly became out of shape, do to work schedules, not playing organized sports anymore, liking chocolate too much, etc, lol.

So i am serious about getting in shape this time and can't wait to start the Insanity workout.

Any tips out there for someone completely new to these workouts??

I realize i may not be able to do all the workouts right away, but am determined to keep going until i can!!

Will post my fitness test results after i do them!!!

Thanks in advance!!
  • kristinmichele1215
    I dont have a HRM but I've been meaning to get one. In the meantime I have used the insanity nutrition book to calculate the daily caloric intake I should be getting and have set it into my MFP so I don't have to log my exercise. I know its different for every person, but out of curiousity - what type of calorie counts are you guys getting on plyo circuit/cardio power/pure cardio exercises?

Do you find that you burn more on the plyo circuit?
    Are you really getting upwards to 600-1000 calories burned like the websites claim?

I'm only on Day3, but I can give you what I've got so far...
    I'm definitely NOT getting anywhere near 600-1000. However, a man probably would! I also am still stopping a LOT and am not able to do all of the moves. I can imagine that if I were doing all of the exercises all the way through, I would get closer to 600.
    Yesterday I did Plyo and burned 438
    Today I did Cardio Power and burned 399
    I haven't done Pure Cardio yet!

Hope that helps!
  • SDH15
    Hi all,

Am starting Insanity tommorrow ( doing my fit test today). Am a little bnervous in starting this but am excited to do it at the same. I am a 28 year old female, 5'4 and 155 lbs,( about a size 10/M-L) who was in good shape and then slowly became out of shape, do to work schedules, not playing organized sports anymore, liking chocolate too much, etc, lol.

So i am serious about getting in shape this time and can't wait to start the Insanity workout.

Any tips out there for someone completely new to these workouts??

I realize i may not be able to do all the workouts right away, but am determined to keep going until i can!!

Will post my fitness test results after i do them!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Hey! Good luck on your journey!

Theres really nothing to be nervous about. Insanity is a HIIT (high intensity interval training) program that everyone admits is hard to do, but nobody expects you to be able to do everything in it without missing a beat. Even the people on the screen need their breaks, heck, even Shaun T takes breaks. The beauty of it is that all they expect is for you to do your best, thats something you're capable of and when you do that you get your max results.

My tips are as a newbie, take breaks when you need and never get bogged down about how many times you have to repeat an exercise or a set of exercise. In fact, don't even think ahead about whats to come, just focus on whatever exercise you're doing and focus on doing as many as you can. I took plenty of breaks when I started, but one thing I did to keep myself accountable was to always push hard for the last ten seconds of any exercise, so i took my breaks at the beginning and always made sure I finished strong!

Also, insanity is one thing, but nutrition is just as important. My sister started insanity the same time I did but has seen less results (she blames the chocolates/snacks/sweets they always put out in her office). I don't follow the insanity nutrition guide meals but I have my own eating system and make sure I avoid most to all junk. So have a game plan when it comes to nutrition and stick to it! Push hard and eat right and you should see results right away in the first or second week!
  • SDH15
    Yesterday I did Plyo and burned 438
    Today I did Cardio Power and burned 399
    I haven't done Pure Cardio yet!

Hope that helps!

Woah those are some awesome numbers!! I have a feeling im burning similar amounts on my workouts! Keep up the good work!!
  • gieldakn
    gieldakn Posts: 2
    I am on my second week, and got my HRM yesterday. I used it yesterday on Cardio Power and Resistance and burned 755 calories!! I was amazed! I am still bumming that I haven't lost any weight. I know they say its not a weight loss program, but I still figured I wold lose something?

I find it confusing that at the end of the day after working out I still have almost 500-700 calories to eat, and I am not losing weight but sometimes even gaining it. Can someone please help answer this??

Thanks everyone, and DIG DEEPER!!