passing out during workouts

2»

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Ditto the possibility of exercise induced asthma. You can get an over view googling this but treatment will require seeing a doctor, preferably one experienced in sports medicine. Your personal trainer should be familiar with this condition and establish a warm up that will aid in avoiding triggering an attack until you get treatment.

This is only a possibility ... See a doctor to determine if there may be another reason.
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    When I see the tunnel closing into blackness, I "push" shoving blood back into my head. =P
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    This happened to me during personal training, too. I started bringing vitamin water (with sugar, not ZERO) (per trainer's recommendation) and it didn't happen anymore. I agree, when I made sure I was more hydrated, it happened less.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Sounds like you are having episodes of syncope and/or near syncope. You need to return to your physician before you do anymore exercise. I would suspect that you will need a cardiac stress test, an echo (ultrasound of your heart), a 24 hour heart monitor, blood tests, pulmonary function tests and you should also be tested for orthostatic hypertension.
    It is NOT normal to pass out, or almost pass out during a normal workout.

This is excellent advice! I know you said you've been to your doc for tests, but please make sure they've done all of what was suggested above. It's worth it for peace of mind alone!

I used to get super-lightheaded on occasion, especially during heavy workouts where I even completely passed out a few times at the gym. I went to my doc and was referred to cardiologist and neurologist for a battery of tests. They did full blood work, 24-hour holter monitor, echo, stress test, pulmonary function tests, brain scans, ENG/balance disorder tests, tilt table test...you name it. Turns out, I have orthostatic hypotension which, under certain conditions, causes a sudden drop in my already naturally low blood pressure--I'm normally at 95/65 and it would briefly drop to 80/50 or less and I'd just drop out. My cardiologist put me on meds to help my body retain more sodium, thereby raising my BP a little, but the meds caused their own set of issues, so they discontinued them and instead recommended I drink a sports drink rather than water when working out and stay well hydrated with water all other times; they have me wear compression socks, especially when working out; and they told me not to limit salt on foods--I don't go crazy on sodium, but I don't severely restrict it either. This has all helped me tremendously.

I was hesitant to go through all the tests at first because of the cost and the hassle, but I can honestly say I'm so glad I did. Ruling things out is just as important as finding a cause. Having all the information, knowing what is or isn't happening with your body, will ensure that you can safely put your all into your workout without worrying you're doing more harm than good.

Good luck!
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Wow.. thank you for all the wonderful responses.. When I went to the doctor.. they did an EKG and Echo test... they also did something with lights to see if I had seizures... they never did a treadmill or tilt table test. I think they did blood test. Everything came back inconclusive.

I am wondering if I am not eating the right things before I work out.
    Yesterday I ate 1.5 hours before I worked out and had a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and a drizzel of honey. I also had half of a protein powder shake made with milk.

I also think I was lacking on the hydration because I only had about two cups of water before. I am really paranoid about throwing it all up while training.
  • Glad to hear that everything is normal so far!
This discussion has been closed.