A Ladyparts Question...

2»

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Weight gain is a large side effect of 'the shot". All birth control pills forms are different and it could take time to find the one that works for you. It's mainly a few months of trial and error to find one you like.

My story:

I got the shot once, packed on 20 lbs and said eff that. I then did 'the patch' and had 2 miscarriages. My nurse practitioner forgot to tell me that the weight cut off was 190 lbs, I was 192. I tried the bcp that gives you 4 periods a year and my insurance wouldn't cover it because it only covers 30 days worth of pills a month. I got 2 free months from my OBGYNs office and then stopped due to the insurance not covering it. I had 3 months worth of horrible hormone fluctuations after stopping that birth control.

We then decided to start trying for a kid and it took 3 years and 3 more miscarriages before I had a live birth. I don't know if my infertility came from birth control or what (all tests for IF were clear/normal) but since then I have sworn off birth control and do natural family panning, no sex during fertile days and no wacky side effects from the hormone pills.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Your OB may not be an expert on weight loss and nutrition but he will be very aware of the side effects of birth control (BC). He should be able to answer your question and address your concern regarding hormonal issues, which is his specialty. Don't count him out. Unless he is completely uncooperative and rude, maybe it's time to find a new doctor?

Also, remember to take your vitamin B complex. Sometimes our OB's forget to mention that especially while on BC, you need to take your B vitamins. It is vital for your mood, energy.
  • I might be one in a million but I had a terrible time with Yasmin. I call the time that I was on it my "comatose" state because all I could do was sleep. It was worse than when I was pregnant and it took us 3 or 4 months to figure out that it was the pill that was the problem. Especially the first weekend full weekend on a new pill pack, I would lose entire weekends to sleeping. It didn't control any of my endometriosis issues and gave me new side effects to deal with too. I probably gained weight on that one because of the lethargy and fatigue. It was awful!! As soon as I changed I was back to normal within a week or so confirming that it was the pill that was the problem.
  • stephnsuarez
    stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
    I'm on Ortho Tricyclen Lo and I had zero nausea, weight gain or weight loss, change in pimples, or anything. I've been on it for 1 year and literally it's like popping a multivitamin! It didn't affect me in any way! I guess I'm one in a million? But I really do advocate the low estrogen pills in regards to weight gain...I have other friends on low doses like me and they didn't gain, but one did experience bigger boobs!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    I'm on Ortho Tricyclen Lo and I had zero nausea, weight gain or weight loss, change in pimples, or anything. I've been on it for 1 year and literally it's like popping a multivitamin! It didn't affect me in any way! I guess I'm one in a million? But I really do advocate the low estrogen pills in regards to weight gain...I have other friends on low doses like me and they didn't gain, but one did experience bigger boobs!

I LOVED Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo when I took it. It didn't affect my mood, and I didn't notice any weight gain. I had to switch to another pill because of cost, and sometimes I feel like I'm a crazy person with the mood swings... I know everyone is different, but I totally agree with you on this one!!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Thats great! I am going to talk to my OB about the ortho tricyclen lo.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 846 Member
    you must all be American, if the cost & insurance affects what you can put in your body!!!

I had the dep years ago, gained a shed load of weight & it gave me such a bad hormone imbalance it took me 3 year to conceive. I now have a coil, best thing ever, mine is without hormone so I do still have periods but they are regular & fairly light (one very heavy day mid cycle) & it means no popping pills every day. If I ever decide to have another kid I can have it removed & technically fall pregnant the next day.