Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I found them on this website http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie.html, but it looks like you can find it on dittiepe's blog too!
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Fantastic news! I'm finally recovered from two weekends ago, and I've lost another pound. :smile:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news! I'm finally recovered from two weekends ago, and I've lost another pound. :smile:

Great job!
  • SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I plan on starting Atkins is dec 1st, I just wanted to bump for later. If anyone has any advice or anything plz share because I'm very new to this. Thanks!
  • NeilsWifex
    Options
    HI there,

I'm day 5 of induction and a loss of 5lb in far.....really really motivated!! NOt had any sweets or alcohol and even turned down a cake my husband bought me and gave it away.....for me all those things are huge.
    I'm away to a Christmas market in Germany next weekend......not sure ill not be cake to not have am alcoholic drink but believe vodka is 0 carb......what is the best mixer to have with it? Normally I'd have diet coke.......or is wine ok if only 2 ?
  • Squeem
    Options
    Hi, I've just started Atkins. Enjoying it so far, apart from the odd fruit lapse. Just waiting to see if the scales reflect it!
  • jennylynn1961
    jennylynn1961 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, I love carbs....now to cut them out!!!!!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    HI there,

I'm day 5 of induction and a loss of 5lb in far.....really really motivated!! NOt had any sweets or alcohol and even turned down a cake my husband bought me and gave it away.....for me all those things are huge.
    I'm away to a Christmas market in Germany next weekend......not sure ill not be cake to not have am alcoholic drink but believe vodka is 0 carb......what is the best mixer to have with it? Normally I'd have diet coke.......or is wine ok if only 2 ?
    Hi, I've just started Atkins. Enjoying it so far, apart from the odd fruit lapse. Just waiting to see if the scales reflect it!
    I am right there with you, I love carbs....now to cut them out!!!!!

Welcome to the dark side folks. I suggest that you also do a search for Gary Taubes and his last two books. This will also help connect the dots and reinforce your perseverance if you get tempted for carbs.
  • raniasaffarini
    Options
    Hi All, I am new to Atkins Diet , this is my first day, hope i will stay for long :), can you add me so we support each other, i have 20 LB to loss so far, i have one doughter age 2 years and have added this Kg due to luck of exercising and eating latly at night.. plz feel free to add me ..thanks
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Hi All, I am new to Atkins Diet , this is my first day, hope i will stay for long :), can you add me so we support each other, i have 20 LB to loss so far, i have one doughter age 2 years and have added this Kg due to luck of exercising and eating latly at night.. plz feel free to add me ..thanks

Welcome!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It's not really that I can't get the kids to eat meat... they love it! It's more or less the PRICE of meat for a family of 6!!!

I have 4 kids between 5 and 9 years old. My husband has always done the cooking, and none of them do Atkins or low-carb but me.
    A lot of times, like tonight, we just have chicken salads. I found some low-carb tortillas (3 net carbs) and so I can always have what everyone is having., and whenever they have pasta or rice, my husband will grill or sautee squash or zuchini because they make a good substitue. Sometimes, we'll have pork chops with broccoli or a meat and veggie. We've never been big on starchy foods, so it's not unusual for us to not have bread or rice at all. I don't even think we have any processed food in the house right now. It's actually cheaper to eat whole foods and meats, you just have to find deals. Also, a Sam's or Costco membership is helpful! Good luck!
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My favortie store to shop for veggies is Sprouts. I can't even believe the prices sometimes. They can actually be cheaper than a farmer market! Love love love that store! Plus they have bulk foods in barrels too. I get a lot of nuts and such there. They even have the ground flax meal!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Vodka and other hard liquor is zero carbs but you still need to be careful with them. Any non-sugared mixer would be fine. I personally prefer flavored vodkas with Diet Coke. Good ones are vanilla, lemon and orange.
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I started induction a couple weeks back and I will admit I cheated, not everyday but some and so my weight loss was slow but I was happy I was losing weight at all, so I lost about 5 pounds during that first week and then stopped doing Atkins, not completly but there were some dinners when I just said "forget it". I have been maintaing this weight loss for the most part until I discovered this morning I gained a pound but thats what I get for not working out and incresing my carb intake. So on friday I ordered the book from amazon and it will get delivered sometime today. I figure once I read the book and really understand the science behind it maybe it will help keep me on track. I am happy to report that not counting calories is no longer a big issue for me since I know that I can lose weight with this diet. Induction sucks but i believe I can do well if I really put my mind to it. Okay that is all
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It's not really that I can't get the kids to eat meat... they love it! It's more or less the PRICE of meat for a family of 6!!!

I have 4 kids between 5 and 9 years old. My husband has always done the cooking, and none of them do Atkins or low-carb but me.
    A lot of times, like tonight, we just have chicken salads. I found some low-carb tortillas (3 net carbs) and so I can always have what everyone is having., and whenever they have pasta or rice, my husband will grill or sautee squash or zuchini because they make a good substitue. Sometimes, we'll have pork chops with broccoli or a meat and veggie. We've never been big on starchy foods, so it's not unusual for us to not have bread or rice at all. I don't even think we have any processed food in the house right now. It's actually cheaper to eat whole foods and meats, you just have to find deals. Also, a Sam's or Costco membership is helpful! Good luck!

Thanks! I agree, I'm huge on the Mama Lupe low carb tortillas! I use them for wraps, bake them for chips, broil them for pizza crust, etc. I also use pork rinds as a substitute for bread crumbs. It definitely helps. We do have a Sam's, not sure about Costco... we might? Still waiting for Joplin to rebuild. We're supposed to be getting all kinds of new stores, so that will be nice, :-) We are blessed to be able to rebuild and finally catch up with the times. Honestly, anyone (unless they're still living in a FEMA trailer... and there are 400 of those families) who complains about the state of Joplin right now is just a big whiner. We have been blessed with quick clean-up and new buildings (for the most part). I can't wait to see the new face of Joplin!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I have been incredibly bad about logging in this past couple of weeks! I promise I will get back to my diary logging after Thanksgiving. I am also giving myself Thanksgiving to eat whatever I want. Not by choice, by my husband refuses to cook a special meal for me. One meal won't kill me. We are having it so late, 7 pm, that I can just do the one meal, and get right back on Atkins on Friday. We're also aiming for no leftovers.
    The whoosh fairy must have visited, because I lost 2.5 pounds in the last week! Hope it sticks!
    Oh, and whoever suggested that Banana MIM....I made it, and it was delicious! It's going into the rotation!
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I'm glad you liked the banana mim! Banana bread is my weakness, so I'm glad to have found something comparable!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I'm glad you liked the banana mim! Banana bread is my weakness, so I'm glad to have found something comparable!

It did taste like banana bread! I need to add a little more splenda, but I love it!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    I figure once I read the book and really understand the science behind it maybe it will help keep me on track. I am happy to report that not counting calories is no longer a big issue for me since I know that I can lose weight with this diet. Induction sucks but i believe I can do well if I really put my mind to it. Okay that is all

Get Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" and/or "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Atkins will give you the diet and Taubes will give you the science. Both a must have for low-carbers.

BTW, welcome aboard!!!! Also there is a low-carb group. I was surprise this thread is not part of that group but probably since we didnt have groups prior to the start of this thread.
  • pork_belly
    Options

It did taste like banana bread! I need to add a little more splenda, but I love it!

I did try it with banana extract and its really yummy! My GF broke my grinder so I have to go and get a new gf....I meant a new grinder. LOL....What did I really mean???? LOL....Either way no MIM until I can grind my flaxseed!!!