People judge - that's just "reality" - BULL****!

15678911»

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Calories in/calories out can be true to a point but it has been over-simplified. It doesn't tell us what our bodies decide to do with those calories.

My research has led me to this. I eat low carb and those carbs come from veggies. I eat moderate protein. I eat high-fat. I do not count calories - I don't have to. I eat as much fat as I want. When you eat things that actually fill you up - proteins and fats - you will not overeat. All carbs do is make you hungry. I eat protein and fat and stay full for 5-6 hours. I eat carbs and I'm hungry an hour and a half later.

The only things I eat in moderation are carbs. All carbs.

I dropped my carbs when I was at a healthy weight (5'2" and 120lbs). I was told it is impossible to lose more than .5lb per week when at a healthy weight unless I exercise like crazy. I dropped 7lbs in 6 weeks with less exercise and I dropped body fat while keeping my lean muscle mass intact.

Oh and when I cut my carbs out I lost my belly.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Here's the thing with carbs - if you consume carbs and exercise, the carbs will convert to energy and not to sugar (simplistically speaking, obviously it's more complicated than this). It's the reason they tell marathon runners to fuel up on pasta the day before the marathon, for example. There are also distinct differences between refined carbs (white rice, pasta, bread) and wholeweat, which is invariably better for you. No 'diet' or 'lifestyle' should ban carbs totally as they are vital for our energy stores.

Aside from this, everyone I know who is fat (myself included) is this way for one simple reason - eating too much and not being active enough. Everyone I know who has lost weight, has done so by eating less (and/or more healthily) and exercising. Whether there are other factors involved, for most people, is a totally moot point - the majority of people (who don't have medical conditions etc) WILL lose weight by making healthy food choices and getting their a*ses off the sofa.

To me, looking at all the science is over complicating a fairly simple issue - as someone else said, rather than spending all your time wondering why, just get on with it.

I, for one, think I deserve to be judged for being fat...I have spent too long stuffing my face and being lazy and I deserve to be judged for that. And when I'm slim and healthier I'll deserve the glory for that too!

I don't want to offend anyone, this is just how I feel about it.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    People who are just plain nasty will judge ANY & ALL of us when it suits them... When I was on the WW website prior to coming here, I was 5 lbs heavier. It didn't prevent some of those disgusting creeps from writing things like "Every time I look at you I want to throw up" OR "talking" among themselves about me in the 3rd person & agreeing that " 'she obviously has an eating disorder and needs to get help." This was incredibly painful & one of the MANY reasons I left the site. Meanwhile - with the 5 lbs gone, I doubt ANYone objective could look at my photos & call me "emaciated!!!" So - you see, there are CREEPS out there who will stop at NOTHING to bring their negativity into the world. I hope you find a Safe Place free from all that at MFP.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Here is where I disagree with you.

The obesity epidemic is only recent...last 20 maybe 30 years or so. It is a direct result of the foods we are eating (i.e. the processed foods, manufactured food, soda) and modern convieniences that limit our activity (video games, TV, appliances). I mean 100 years ago you didn't see the quantity of obese people as you do today. Back then people had to walk everywhere and do everything manually. There wasn't any TV or video games or phones and factories had people doing everything not robots or machines. Life was harder. There weren't hormone induced chickens and cattle and food was eaten at the most natural state. Also, people couldn't afford to sit around and eat all day...they had to work and food was scarce. The overweight people back then were the ones that had money and priveledge and to be overweight was a sign of wealth and prosperity. So to say that it's this complicated scientific reasoning for weight gain..it's not. For some cases (very minimal) it's a condition or illness but for the majority it's having an abundance of food and not being active.

It is more evident than ever when you see 3 out of 5 kids are already fat....bad habits taught and passed on to their offspring. I'm willing to be a lot of these children don't have the illnesses that cause weight gain.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Interesting thread...

And all I will say is this before bowing out and not returning to this thread (because I am depositing my two cents and not in the mood to join another war):

I was fat because I overate and did not exercise. The whole sugar/carb crap is in reality BULL**** unless you are diabetic or have other medical issues with them.

I got up one day off my big fat @$$ and started to exercise. I ate LESS FOOD, not different kinds of food, those with less carbs or less sugar, just less food... And ta-da! I went from 191 pounds down to 128 pounds in a matter of less than a year.

Stop looking for excuses to why you are overweight, stop giving a rat's @$$ about what other people say about you, and just get up and do it!!! You wouldn't be here if you didn't want to.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    It's not an "either / or" situation.

People get fat by eating too much. (Yes, there is a tiny segment of the population that can gain weight due to some horrible genetic problem, but that's a TINY segment.) To pretend that the overwhelming majority of people gained weight without overeating is to deny reality.

It's also true that the composition of your diet can have severe ramifications on your health, your hunger levels and your propensity to gain weight and your relative ease or difficulty in losing weight.

I think it's great that you're researching the ways in which diet composition affects your health and weight. Hopefully this will make your weight loss and maintenance easier. However, I think you've drawn some unreasonable conclusions.

Word.