People judge - that's just "reality" - BULL****!

Replies

• Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    So it is "reality" for people to be hateful, stupid, and just plain misinformed?

Thousands and thousands of years of history of people waging war, fighting and killing over different beliefs tells me... yes. I'm not saying I LIKE it. I'm saying it's reality. :frown:

Yes. It is natural for people to judge. You meet someone and judge them on their looks automatically. It isn't nice but it is true.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Who needs TV? LOL!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Someone on this thread likened getting fat to committing a crime against your body... *that* is precisely the attitude that winds me up. Some people actually have better things to do than spend their time worrying about their diet. Some fat people right now are working on cures for cancer and aids (and even obesity, diabetes and heart disease) and that is consuming all their mental energy so they can't spend all their time worrying about resisting the food around them. Resisting that food is a full time job, why should they give up their already full time and much more important jobs to focus on resisting food which is AT BEST going to add maybe 10 years to their life IF they are at risk for the obesity related diseases, which they as an individual might even not be. And that goes for plenty of people not just cancer researchers. Being fat is NOT a crime. Being fat, when not to the extreme, is not even that dangerous. If someone has better things to do than worry about their diet (I wish I did... maybe I would if I wasn't obsessing so much about my diet) then... good on them. If they don't have the risk factors for diseases (elevated glucose, elevated LDL, elevated blood pressure) - which plenty of fat people don't, then what is the crime? Why should they bare the brunt of societies contempt, constantly, in the media, in day to day life, on forums?

I think you misunderstood me. I'm sure I could have been clearer, but I wasn't trying to say being fat is a crime.

It felt to me like the OP was saying that she was/is a "victim" of her carb sensitivity. I used crime as an example because there is a perpetrator and a victim in a crime, and since there's only one person involved in the "crime" of being over weight then she was both the perpetrator and the victim.

In my opinion it's a much healthier attitude to move away from the victim mentality and realize that I did this to myself. Saying that I'm the victim here, isn't addressing the problem head on. Even with diet and exercise and other efforts to lose weight, if you have in your head that I'm a slave to my carb sensitivity, then it's very easy to slip and play the victim as you eat your way back right where you came from. When you accept responsibility for your actions that caused your obesity, it's easier to stop the downward spiral and continue on your way.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Im fat and I take responsibility for what I put into my body. Science didnt do me in, stuffing my face did.

I completely agree!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I have no idea what I was supposed to garner from that post. I was sort of hoping for a philosophical discussion on judgment, but it was the whole fatness chicken vs. egg debate again. Certainly everyone judges...we have to in order to form an opinion. Everyone has the potential to get fat, too, thought the reasons are different.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    >There are a whole load of hormones that regulate bodyweight, normal people remain the same age ajusted weight year in year out despite changes in eating, activity and so on because the body knows how much fat it wants to have around and will actively adjust intake and expenditure.<

I want to know who these normal people are, because I'm not so sure they exist. Even if they did, it would be seriously hard to prove. In fact, hundreds of people, to get a correct sample size, over their lifetimes, tracking everything they put in their mouths with perfect accuracy.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    >There are a whole load of hormones that regulate bodyweight, normal people remain the same age ajusted weight year in year out despite changes in eating, activity and so on because the body knows how much fat it wants to have around and will actively adjust intake and expenditure.<

I want to know who these normal people are, because I'm not so sure they exist. Even if they did, it would be seriously hard to prove. In fact, hundreds of people, to get a correct sample size, over their lifetimes, tracking everything they put in their mouths with perfect accuracy.

There's plenty of studies been done on it :/

Do you honestly believe all thin people are that way because they're putting effort into it? And why would you need to track what they eat, if they stay the same weight, and don't try to maintain that weight but just naturally stay that way, then their appetite and expenditure (and it doesn't really matter which) is adjusting to maintain that weight.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    The excuses culture of today really concerns me. I wonder how many morbidly obese cavemen there were dragging their gigantic bodies around... when do we ever see an overweight wild animal? We don't. It's ridiculous that people walk around 5 stone overweight and say 'I'm naturally like this'.

I'm not saying body shapes don't come in all different shapes and sizes, they do, but it's a shame to always hear people making excuses.

If you're making excuses for being fat, then you're not ready to lose weight. Simple.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    <---- was fat.........then did something about it.

this is priceless. I made excuses for a long time, then I "did something about it" Its beauty is its simplicity!

Me too. I wasn't really fat, more borderline overweight, but I used to complain I didn't eat a thing, and was STILL podgy. Well once I started logging my food, I realised I was still eating more than I was burning, and it really incentivised me to get off my *kitten* and exercise.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Everyone can lose weight. For some people it is going to be much harder than others.

Everyone can maintain weight. For some people it is going to be much harder than others.

Is it fair? Nope. How you choose to deal with that reality is entirely up to you. Investing a lot of emotional energy into bemoaning how skewed life is a poor use of time. It doesn't really take you forward to any degree.

It seems that of the things to be discriminated or judged negatively for being overweight doesn't rank that highly. At least you have some control over changing your circumstances. You won't have that same degree of latitude in being able to change the colour of your skin or sexuality...
  • The excuses culture of today really concerns me. I wonder how many morbidly obese cavemen there were dragging their gigantic bodies around... when do we ever see an overweight wild animal? We don't. It's ridiculous that people walk around 5 stone overweight and say 'I'm naturally like this'.

I'm not saying body shapes don't come in all different shapes and sizes, they do, but it's a shame to always hear people making excuses.

If you're making excuses for being fat, then you're not ready to lose weight. Simple.

Morbidly obese cavemen also didn't have any other way around it, and GENETICS that have been passed down through the corruption of the human bodies system didn't exist. Let me educate you on this, since you're comparing the monolithic human to the current one. This akin is comparing my house cat to a mountain lion. A great majority of the obese are lazy and not changing their situation. True, and I get it. However a lot of people and including some of the aforementioned lazies, have genetic pre-dispositions to their body DEMANDING sugar. My girlfriend fights it on a daily basis. How she is not overweight, I am amazed. Her body literally sends multiple signals--through limb and joint pain, anxiety, hostility, etc. It's a hypoglycemic issue that really does exist.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    I am overweight, but I have never been obese. I am big enough to be considered chubby or thick by other people, but not so big as to be judged as self destructive or mentally unstable I used to eat HORRIBLY and not workout ever. I have had friends that were obese who ate less and had a higher activity level, but they maintained much more weight. I think that what she is saying here is that just because someone is obese doesn't mean they necessarily have a severe eating disorder (like most of the people who are on the biggest loser) and emotional issues. Plenty of obese people just eat the typical crappy american diet and and are predisposed to store more weight than the rest of the merely overweight Americans (and those lucky few who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight).

That being said it is harder for some people to lose weight than others, but it is still possible to lose weight with hard work. As long as she is making a strong effort and working hard towards her weight loss goal, I think she has the right to vent about the frustration of being judged by people who don't understand her individual situation.
  • songbyrdsweet
    The excuses culture of today really concerns me. I wonder how many morbidly obese cavemen there were dragging their gigantic bodies around... when do we ever see an overweight wild animal? We don't. It's ridiculous that people walk around 5 stone overweight and say 'I'm naturally like this'.

We don't see obese wild animals because they are constantly moving to either eat or be eaten, are generally not omnivorous, and go for a long time between meals.

We DO see obese domesticated animals, and we have become domesticated animals. Our metabolisms are still engineered to be thrifty. It takes much more work to lose fat than to gain it. Some people do have a genetic predisposition to fat gain, and while they do still need an excess of calories, it really is more difficult for them to lose fat. We have done studies taking the intestinal bacteria from obese mice and putting them into lean, bacteria-free mice. The lean mice who were previously resistant to weight gain become obese when they are colonized by the intestinal bacteria from the obese mice. Obese people express different levels of inflammatory gene receptors and experience metabolic inflexibility wherein their energy systems don't adapt to the energy substrate coming in (glucose vs. fatty acids).

Yes, people can naturally be prone to becoming overweight. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to lose it.

Have you ever seen a caveman at all? :huh:
  • songbyrdsweet

Morbidly obese cavemen also didn't have any other way around it, and GENETICS that have been passed down through the corruption of the human bodies system didn't exist. Let me educate you on this, since you're comparing the monolithic human to the current one. This akin is comparing my house cat to a mountain lion. A great majority of the obese are lazy and not changing their situation. True, and I get it. However a lot of people and including some of the aforementioned lazies, have genetic pre-dispositions to their body DEMANDING sugar. My girlfriend fights it on a daily basis. How she is not overweight, I am amazed. Her body literally sends multiple signals--through limb and joint pain, anxiety, hostility, etc. It's a hypoglycemic issue that really does exist.

Where are you guys finding all these cavemen!? :frown:
  • The excuses culture of today really concerns me. I wonder how many morbidly obese cavemen there were dragging their gigantic bodies around... when do we ever see an overweight wild animal? We don't. It's ridiculous that people walk around 5 stone overweight and say 'I'm naturally like this'.

We don't see obese wild animals because they are constantly moving to either eat or be eaten, are generally not omnivorous, and go for a long time between meals.

We DO see obese domesticated animals, and we have become domesticated animals. Our metabolisms are still engineered to be thrifty. It takes much more work to lose fat than to gain it. Some people do have a genetic predisposition to fat gain, and while they do still need an excess of calories, it really is more difficult for them to lose fat. We have done studies taking the intestinal bacteria from obese mice and putting them into lean, bacteria-free mice. The lean mice who were previously resistant to weight gain become obese when they are colonized by the intestinal bacteria from the obese mice. Obese people express different levels of inflammatory gene receptors and experience metabolic inflexibility wherein their energy systems don't adapt to the energy substrate coming in (glucose vs. fatty acids).

Yes, people can naturally be prone to becoming overweight. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to lose it.

No, people see geico commercials and are anthropology scholars. Forbid they realize the human in question and the humans that exist now were at best, related.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    We DO see obese domesticated animals

It really, really bothers me when I see obese animals. Especially dachshunds because of their long shape, the extra weight is really dangerous. (I have dachshunds.) Some people shouldn't have pets.

No, people see geico commercials and are anthropology scholars. Forbid they realize the human in question and the humans that exist now were at best, related. Anthropologists find their remains all the time. That's why their anthropologists.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member

There's plenty of studies been done on it :/

Do you honestly believe all thin people are that way because they're putting effort into it? And why would you need to track what they eat, if they stay the same weight, and don't try to maintain that weight but just naturally stay that way, then their appetite and expenditure (and it doesn't really matter which) is adjusting to maintain that weight.

I honestly think thin people are that way either through hard work, or because they are people who aren't that interested in food, naturally. I come from a family of thin people, I am the biggest of my sisters, and most of them just aren't that into food. I know plenty of people who just forget to eat, or can't be bothered to. They are usually thin. I also know plenty of people who love cake and wine and in general they are fat....unless they work hard at their figure. Not everyone who is thin has to work hard at it, because not everyone is obsessed with food. But a lot of people are.

No, people see geico commercials and are anthropology scholars. Forbid they realize the human in question and the humans that exist now were at best, related. Anthropologists find their remains all the time. That's why they're anthropologists.
  • Thank you MFP for screwing up my links on the message boards.