calories

Hello everybody! I'm new to MFP, just joined last week. I am wondering if it is necessary to eat the extra calories I earn each day from working out. Is it ok to leave them in hopes of losing weight faster? I need to lose a lot of weight and would like some quick results to help me get and stay motivated. What do you think? Any insight would help...:happy:

Replies

• Hello everybody! I'm new to MFP, just joined last week. I am wondering if it is necessary to eat the extra calories I earn each day from working out. Is it ok to leave them in hopes of losing weight faster? I need to lose a lot of weight and would like some quick results to help me get and stay motivated. What do you think? Any insight would help...:happy:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Eat them back! Faster is not the best way as it leads to disappointment for you later. I eat all my exercise calories and I've been losing steady and feel great. Some people do, some don't! I joined MFP in August but didn't start using the tools here until October, so in 5 weeks, I've lost 8lbs and that's pretty reasonable I think! I've even went over my calories at times:wink: I'm sure some others who have had more experience and been here longer can offer better advice! Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    1) don't starve yourself. eat when you're hungry and eat til you feel full. 2) healthy meals will fill you up faster and typically have less fat and calories. 3) its best to eat 200-300 calories every 4 hours or so. If you eat too little, your metabolism will slow down. If you eat too much, your body will store the excess... so it is a careful balance and its not a race. Unfortunately its a lifestyle change not a "diet" so focus on getting healthy and the weight will come off. I'm not sure if that helped! lol
  • Thanks for all the insight! I think I need to eat more...
  • eat them for at least two reasons

1. your metabolism will adjust to a lower calorie intake by slowing down and storing more of what you eat as fat, because it thinks you are starving

2. it's a good discipline to eat a healthy amount of calories whether you want more or less.