Question about "Happy Holidays"

124»

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    SoupNazi wrote: »
    Hummmmmm, interesting topic. Personally, I am always amazed at why people feel the need to say anything other than MERRY CHRISTMAS at Christmas time. Do we question whether or not to say Happy Halloween (or Happy 4th of July any other holiday) for fear of offending?

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
    ornamentlighthead.jpg
    Absolutely! I am always offended as a Christian when people call it xmas to tell you the truth. Does that knock 1 second off of your typing time?

Merry CHRISTmas!
    ^precisely, these!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    I tend to say "Happy Holidays", but only because in my mind, I'm wishing them a Merry Christmas AND a Happy New Year.
    Oh, that's a good point.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    I say Happy Holidays at work because I live in such a diverse city, everyone celebrates something different. When I'm at home I say Merry Christmas. When I'm with my close friends I say Happy Festivus!!
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    I always say Merry Christmas and like someone said, no one has ever taken offense to it. And if someone were to tell me Happy Hanukkah or Kwanza or anything else, I wouldn't take offense to it either. I don't get why we can't just be happy that others are being kind and wishing good upon us instead of being *kitten* about everything and crying because it "offends" them that someone doesn't have the same beliefs as them.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Not everyone celebrates something so I say happy holidays since it's typically a holiday from school and work and generic.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    I say Merry Christmas. If you don't like it then go home and cry.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    I don't celebrate Christmas and I know lots of people that don't, and not one who would be offended by the greeting. It's offered out of politeness and kindness, usually. How could that be offensive?
  • melasencio
    melasencio Posts: 184 Member
    I say merry Christmas cause I'm being nice, if they don't like it, I don't really care.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    If I know somebody celebrates Christmas, I will wish them a Merry Christmas. If I know they are Jewish, I will say Happy Hanukkah (assuming it is just before or during the holiday...Hanukkah is often over well before Christmas, and it's funny to hear someone say Happy Hanukkah after the smell of latkes is finally gone). If i don't know what they celebrate, I will say "Happy Holidays." If I send out cards they also will have some generic, non-religious greeting along with the photos of my adorable children.

I am Jewish and am not remotely offended if anyone wishes me Merry Christmas. There's no reason I can't be merry on December 25th while I eat my Chinese food and watch my movie with the rest of my tribe.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Well it is Christmas and if someone takes offence to someone saying merry christmas , it should tell you everything you need to know about them. If someone is offended by pleasantries by a cheerful person , they can take a hike and shove their PC bull where the sun don't shine. Be tolerent , be pleasent , be cheerful , be merry and a big middle finger to those who can't handle it.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    I personally say Merry Christmas. Nobody has barked back at me either. But when you work with the general public, Happy Holidays is more politically correct because you're dealing with a wide range of different peoples and cultures. But I did say Merry Christmas to someone at Starbucks yesterday and she didn't say *kitten* back lol