Women strength training... for real

Replies

• captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Bump for later!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Thanks for replying! I will never have more than like 25% ROM unless they come up with a repair, but I should be able to carry a light bar.

I'd have you focusing on movements within your limited range of motion. You could still get super strong in squat and deadlift variations. Probably a lot of pulling stuff too. It's the pressing stuff that could pose challenges, but even there you could probably find workarounds. I'm not sure of your specifics, but things like floor presses and pin presses that limit the range of motion would be things I'd think about.

Oh, and obviously working on strengthening the muscles that are responsible for glenohumeral stability. I'm guessing you've had extensive damage to ligaments primarily.

Thanks! I assume I was born with faulty ligaments or some kind of small deformity...the first time it dislocated was on a slip& slide @2 or 3 years of age...then a tow rope for a kid's ski run, then tubing on the lake, etc etc... I have done a LOT of physical therapy over the years lol. I have issues with other ligaments as well but none hold me back like this does.

I love deadlifts...I will definitely look for different variations. I thought that the front-loaded squats might work for me but it sounds like they are nowhere near as effective as holding the bar on your back. but arms up and back is a risky posture....is there anything that can substiture for actually holding a bar? Thanks again..I don't want to hog up the thread so feel free to msg if you prefer.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I absolutely ENJOY strength training! The majority of the time, I am the only female in the weights section of my gym. It used to intimidate me but, it doesn't bother me anymore, especially after receiving compliments from the guys on my form.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    I would like to add to Steve's statement about less=\=better.

I got tiredof doing lots of cardio amd eating at 1200 calories and feeling deprived all the time. Recently i started lifting heavy and increased my calorie intake to around 1500 a day, and have somewhat fallen off the cardio wagon (had 3 rest days in the last week instead of 1).

I have lost almosr 3 lbs. in 2 weeks. After a month long plateau on my previous plan.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Thanks for replying! I will never have more than like 25% ROM unless they come up with a repair, but I should be able to carry a light bar.

I'd have you focusing on movements within your limited range of motion. You could still get super strong in squat and deadlift variations. Probably a lot of pulling stuff too. It's the pressing stuff that could pose challenges, but even there you could probably find workarounds. I'm not sure of your specifics, but things like floor presses and pin presses that limit the range of motion would be things I'd think about.

Oh, and obviously working on strengthening the muscles that are responsible for glenohumeral stability. I'm guessing you've had extensive damage to ligaments primarily.

Thanks! I assume I was born with faulty ligaments or some kind of small deformity...the first time it dislocated was on a slip& slide @2 or 3 years of age...then a tow rope for a kid's ski run, then tubing on the lake, etc etc... I have done a LOT of physical therapy over the years lol. I have issues with other ligaments as well but none hold me back like this does.

I love deadlifts...I will definitely look for different variations. I thought that the front-loaded squats might work for me but it sounds like they are nowhere near as effective as holding the bar on your back. but arms up and back is a risky posture....is there anything that can substiture for actually holding a bar? Thanks again..I don't want to hog up the thread so feel free to msg if you prefer.

Rather than deadlift, I like to think in terms of movement patterns. The deadlift is primarily a hip hinge movement. Other hip hinge movements include barbell hip thrusts, cable pull throughs, rack pulls, romanian deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, single leg romanian deadlifts, etc.

Yeah, I'd definitely shy away from standard barbell back squats. They're a great exercise, but do you need them? Heck no. Dumbbell goblet squats would be an ideal starting point for you I think. I like single leg work in the squatting motion too, like split squats, lunge variations, rear foot elevated split squats, etc. If you had access to something like a cambered squat bar, which I have in my gym, you *might* be able to experiment with back squats... but most gyms do not have one.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Bookmarking to read later! This is a great thread, but I'm only on page 9 of 17 and it's getting late. I'm 51 and just started lifting a few months ago. I'm not sure it would be considered heavy, I'm up to 25 lbs. dumbell bench press. My gym only has dumbells & smithmachines. I was taught 3 reps 12, 10 & 8 each using heavier weights. Interested in learning new stuff and learning to lift heavier and hopefully dropping another 15 to 20 lbs.
  • stroutman81
    I would like to add to Steve's statement about less=\=better.

I got tiredof doing lots of cardio amd eating at 1200 calories and feeling deprived all the time. Recently i started lifting heavy and increased my calorie intake to around 1500 a day, and have somewhat fallen off the cardio wagon (had 3 rest days in the last week instead of 1).

I have lost almosr 3 lbs. in 2 weeks. After a month long plateau on my previous plan.

Congrats! Thanks for the testimony of an approach that's too often overlooked around here.
  • stroutman81
    Bookmarking to read later! This is a great thread, but I'm only on page 9 of 17 and it's getting late. I'm 51 and just started lifting a few months ago. I'm not sure it would be considered heavy, I'm up to 25 lbs. dumbell bench press. My gym only has dumbells & smithmachines. I was taught 3 reps 12, 10 & 8 each using heavier weights. Interested in learning new stuff and learning to lift heavier and hopefully dropping another 15 to 20 lbs.

Most of the best information in this thread is actually in the first version of this thread. It grew too large and spilled over into this thread. But the first thread was epic.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member

Most of the best information in this thread is actually in the first version of this thread. It grew too large and spilled over into this thread. But the first thread was epic.

Does the original thread have the same name as this?
  • stroutman81

Does the original thread have the same name as this?

Oh shoot... scratch that. I was confused for a second thinking I was in the "relatively lean getting leaner" thread. There is only one version of this thread.

Sorry!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

Rather than deadlift, I like to think in terms of movement patterns. The deadlift is primarily a hip hinge movement. Other hip hinge movements include barbell hip thrusts, cable pull throughs, rack pulls, romanian deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, single leg romanian deadlifts, etc.

Yeah, I'd definitely shy away from standard barbell back squats. They're a great exercise, but do you need them? Heck no. Dumbbell goblet squats would be an ideal starting point for you I think. I like single leg work in the squatting motion too, like split squats, lunge variations, rear foot elevated split squats, etc. If you had access to something like a cambered squat bar, which I have in my gym, you *might* be able to experiment with back squats... but most gyms do not have one.

That is a long list of great ideas that I think could really work..thank you VERY much!
  • bump
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    That video is AMAZING!!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    I work out with weights at least 5 times a week. I do cardio 6 days a week in the mornings on the bike, then I do weights (3 days of cardio sets) in the evenings with a personal trainer or on my own. I do this in order to lose inches and tone muscles. I've lost over 40 inches in the last 7 months and I have sooo many more to go. It is addictive to see the changes in the muscles or to even see muscle definition where before there were granny arms.

I won't ever be a super buff ARNIE equivalent because I don't have the same level of testosterone as a man.. and I'm not stacking. I just want to look great and toned. It is very sexy seeing muscles, because it's easy to see that someone is taking care of their body when the muscles are prominent.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    sweet. thanks!
  • stroutman81
    You're welcome!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    bump
  • stroutman81
    bump
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Hi Steve, what's your take on calorie intake for women lifting who want to lose weight?

I've been eating 1200 plus eating back my exercise cals, and I've lost 23kg over the past 11mths.

I didn't work out or calorie count when I went overseas for 3wks at Christmas, and I had knee surgery 2wks ago, so I lifted my calories to maintenance during that time also... I'm just about to put my calories back down again, but I've been reading so much about TDEE and BMR, I'm rethinking my calorie intake.

I used a few different calculators to get my BMR and it comes to about 1,700. Which seems such a huge jump from 1,200.

I'm tempted to up my calories for a month and see how I go.

Do you have any advice?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I'm not Steve but:

You may find this helpful :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

Basically, looks like you're at the assess and adjust if necessary stage. Is what you're currently doing working? If so, stick with it :)
    Hi Steve, what's your take on calorie intake for women lifting who want to lose weight?

I've been eating 1200 plus eating back my exercise cals, and I've lost 23kg over the past 11mths.

I didn't work out or calorie count when I went overseas for 3wks at Christmas, and I had knee surgery 2wks ago, so I lifted my calories to maintenance during that time also... I'm just about to put my calories back down again, but I've been reading so much about TEEDEE and BMR, I'm rethinking my calorie intake.

I used a few different calculators to get my BMR and it comes to about 1,700. Which seems such a huge jump from 1,200.

I'm tempted to up my calories for a month and see how I go.

Do you have any advice?