Cheap protien

2»

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Even cheaper than tinned tuna is tinned sardines and tinned herring. They can be about half the price of tuna in my grocery store. They're also much smaller fish, which means less mercury. And, if you're into sustainability at all (which is probably a good thing to be aiming for, though I do know it's super hard when you're on a budget), herring and sardines are WAY more sustainable than tuna!

I know they sound scary, but if you like canned tuna you will probably like (or grow to like) sardines and herring. I am a giant wuss and I buy the kind without bones and skin... haha. But if you can stomach that, I hear the bones are good for you! I like to eat them on a 100-cal bun or some whole grain bread, toasted, with some mustard. A very easy and filling lunch! Of course you can do it with tuna, too. :)

(And I also second the 'eggs' camp - they pack a great nutritional punch!)
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    I agree with the bean people. They are cheap, especially if you buy them dried and cook your own. They go with almost anything!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Tuna and sardines are both pretty cheap and full of protein.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Canned tuna and cottage cheese!

I also buy the generic version of protein powder from my grocery store (Stop & Shop), it's about $12 for a big jug that lasts me awhile.