"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    Hey gang!

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Humpday! Last day of yard duty work till end of August now!!!! So glad cause I'm tired of these 8th graders being so obnoxious and whiny. Adjusted my schedule at work now too so starting next week, I'll have more morning slots due to not having to bring my daughter to school anymore.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)
    Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Dinaguan and rice again.

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member

Hello!

Cardio: 15 mins of fast marching

Strength: 1 hour of yoga

Assessment: I was up early this morning, stiff from dumbbells last night. I must have been a little too enthusiastic.

Food: I had eggs for breakfast, then a Greek yogurt, then for lunch oatmeal with blueberries and protein powder. Then 4 dried apricots. This afternoon I will eat spinach salad and boiled chicken. Weigh-in is Friday.

Annie
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,967 Member
    After @ninerbuff had mentioned dinuguan often enough, I had to look it up to see what it was. Rather wish I hadn't...

Not asking for advice from him now, as that would be unfair to the clients who pay for his time. Rather I'm just logging my thought process, see if it makes as much sense in type as it does in my brain...

Am thinking of altering my current plan of repeating a workout each week, alternating weeks between Push-Pull-Legs being the doubled plan. I've been reading through the "Which Lifting Program Is Right For You" thread, and one of the plans is PPL on Mon-Tues-Wed, with a full body workout Friday, which allows every body part to be hit twice every week, but the second workout only touches each part rather than hammer it. Then the thought flashed through my mind that if I move deadlifts to this Friday workout, not only does it mean I can pull deadlifts every single week instead of my current every other week, but I no longer have to determine if it's a "leg day" or "back day" exercise by placing it in the "full body day."

Ideally, this track would be PPL M-W, Thursday off, full-body Friday. There will be weeks, however, where work requires me to not lift one of those early days, which pushes my third lifting day to Thursday. This presents me the possibility of lifting the same body part in consecutive days, or moving the full-body day to Saturday. I may want to not have leg day Wednesday, because if things slip I'd be squatting Thursday and deadlifting Friday, and I'd rather have a day between, so I may instead do legs on Monday, which not only allows me to avoid the bench-press crush but also has me lifting legs after (hopefully) two days rest when I'll be at my most rested.

So, my schedule would be:

Monday - Legs (usually some version of the squat-centric)
    Tuesday - Pull (instead of Push...gives extra time between back day and deadlift Friday)
    Wednesday - Push
    Thursday - Off (Cardio)
    Friday - Full Body
    Weekend - Off (no gym...probably be active with kids over summer break)

Yes, I kind of like this idea. It will require me to come up with a full-body routine I like (didn't care for the version in the other thread), also amending at least my Legs day to remove deadlift and replace with another hip-hinge movement, like RDL or good mornings. But I should be able to make these decisions before Monday, and I think will attend better to @ninerbuff's concern about adequate recovery without overdoing any one body part by hammering twice a week at my age. Nice.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud as it were, I've always found it easier to organize my thoughts this way. (My teacher's used to give me the most puzzled looks in school when I'd raise my hand to ask a question, then in the course of explaining myself I'd inevitably answer myself and not actually need to ask my question at all.) If you feel the need to say something, I won't start the new plan until Monday anyway, so will see any responses before then.
  • ninerbuff
    nossmf wrote: »
    After @ninerbuff had mentioned dinuguan often enough, I had to look it up to see what it was. Rather wish I hadn't...

Not asking for advice from him now, as that would be unfair to the clients who pay for his time. Rather I'm just logging my thought process, see if it makes as much sense in type as it does in my brain...

Am thinking of altering my current plan of repeating a workout each week, alternating weeks between Push-Pull-Legs being the doubled plan. I've been reading through the "Which Lifting Program Is Right For You" thread, and one of the plans is PPL on Mon-Tues-Wed, with a full body workout Friday, which allows every body part to be hit twice every week, but the second workout only touches each part rather than hammer it. Then the thought flashed through my mind that if I move deadlifts to this Friday workout, not only does it mean I can pull deadlifts every single week instead of my current every other week, but I no longer have to determine if it's a "leg day" or "back day" exercise by placing it in the "full body day."

Ideally, this track would be PPL M-W, Thursday off, full-body Friday. There will be weeks, however, where work requires me to not lift one of those early days, which pushes my third lifting day to Thursday. This presents me the possibility of lifting the same body part in consecutive days, or moving the full-body day to Saturday. I may want to not have leg day Wednesday, because if things slip I'd be squatting Thursday and deadlifting Friday, and I'd rather have a day between, so I may instead do legs on Monday, which not only allows me to avoid the bench-press crush but also has me lifting legs after (hopefully) two days rest when I'll be at my most rested.

So, my schedule would be:

Monday - Legs (usually some version of the squat-centric)
    Tuesday - Pull (instead of Push...gives extra time between back day and deadlift Friday)
    Wednesday - Push
    Thursday - Off (Cardio)
    Friday - Full Body
    Weekend - Off (no gym...probably be active with kids over summer break)

Yes, I kind of like this idea. It will require me to come up with a full-body routine I like (didn't care for the version in the other thread), also amending at least my Legs day to remove deadlift and replace with another hip-hinge movement, like RDL or good mornings. But I should be able to make these decisions before Monday, and I think will attend better to @ninerbuff's concern about adequate recovery without overdoing any one body part by hammering twice a week at my age. Nice.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud as it were, I've always found it easier to organize my thoughts this way. (My teacher's used to give me the most puzzled looks in school when I'd raise my hand to ask a question, then in the course of explaining myself I'd inevitably answer myself and not actually need to ask my question at all.) If you feel the need to say something, I won't start the new plan until Monday anyway, so will see any responses before then.
    My advice here is free. Always has been. I'll answer questions in any capacity because I enjoy sharing knowledge. I'm paid well enough that I don't need to worry about a few members asking for advice.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Oh my! How have I missed this thread? Since 2011? @ninerbuff - you’re amazing! How inspiring! I’m tempted to post but a 57 year old female with about 15lbs to lose and not that strong, feeling a lil insecure? 😬
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and kbox class this morning. Well officially done with yard duty now so I've increased opening times on my work schedule. With my daughter no longer needing to be picked up or dropped off at school after today, it's gonna be weird.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Panda Express last night for dinner. Very worried now that the DUBS lost last night's game.

• nossmf
    Hey, @ninerbuff, I finally wrote down into a single excel sheet your workout plan so I could look at the entire week at once, and I noticed you have a "quad day" on Saturday without a "hamstring day." Granted, much of your quad day will also hit the hamstrings, but it leads me to wonder:

Why not have a dedicated hamstring/glutes day (aka back of leg) if you have a front (quad) day...
    ...and if not, why not just call your "quad day" as "leg day"?
  • ninerbuff
    nossmf wrote: »
    Hey, @ninerbuff, I finally wrote down into a single excel sheet your workout plan so I could look at the entire week at once, and I noticed you have a "quad day" on Saturday without a "hamstring day." Granted, much of your quad day will also hit the hamstrings, but it leads me to wonder:

Why not have a dedicated hamstring/glutes day (aka back of leg) if you have a front (quad) day...
    ...and if not, why not just call your "quad day" as "leg day"?

Lol, it's on Sunday, but I don't log Sundays just "weekend". I'm so busy on Sundays and it's my get up late day, so I end up sleeping in.
  • Anniesquats100
    I did my dumbbells! Yay!

Annie
  • Lady_oft_Lakes
    Lady_oft_Lakes Posts: 17 Member
    Oh so this is where we go to get our gluteus maximums kicked now?

😳
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy TGIF! Just morning clients and then later I'm off for the evening because it's my daughter's GRADUATION! I'm so proud of her and looking forward to her future.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Fresh shrimp roll for dinner. It was really hot yesterday and I expect more of the same today!
  • nossmf
    edited June 2022
    Kudos to your daughter, @ninerbuff! Just went through the motions for my son's graduation, and my daughter will be a senior this year so we get to do it all over again next May! lol

Strength: Full-Body Friday

Deadlift 5x5
    Hack Squat 5x5
    DB Bench Press <superset with> DB Row 3x10
    DB Shoulder Triset 3x10 (Front Raise, Lateral Side Raise, Rear Lateral Raise)
    DB Curl <superset with> Lying DB Skullcrusher 3x10

Analysis: Ok, I understand a little more empirically why the workout suggested on the other thread seemed lighter on Friday. Last time I pull a 5x5 set for anything other than deadlifts on the full-body day! (Already amended next Friday's log which would have been 5x5 for DB Bench/Row.) I also reduced the weight a little from what I could do max effort, instead focusing on slower reps and really feeling the mind-muscle connection. Yes, I know I should be doing that all the time, but I'm focusing on it for my new Friday. Today's workout took about an hour rather than my desired 45 minutes, but as I'm working from home without a 90 minute commute I'll let it slide.

Food: Lunch - Tomato soup and grilled cheese, Dinner - Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice

• Anniesquats100
    @ninerbuff congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

Cardio: 15 mins fast marching video

Strength: 1 hour yoga

Weigh-in: down 1.4 pounds in a week! Yay!

Assessment: I'm consistently down over a pound every Friday these days. I must be doing something right!

Last night I wanted to watch TV so I did my dumbbells early instead of skipping them. Yay!

Food: eggs for breakfast, then green tea and Greek yogurt, then oatmeal with protein powder for lunch. We have company coming so I am roasting a chicken for dinner.

Have a great day,
    Annie
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout and then clean up the house. First off the Warriors won! I had to pick up my daughter at 3am this morning due to her returning from grad night at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Strength: quads- squats, leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, lunges 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: McDonald's for dinner again. My eating has been off lately so I've stalled a little, but will get back on track this weekend.

• Anniesquats100
    Strength: did my dumbbells again. Yay!

Assessment: I ate too many cookies and they do not make good fuel for a workout. It took me an extra half hour to get through. Sugar is evil. But at least I summoned my inner discipline (and blind habit) and made it through.

Food: don't ask. I bought cookies for a guest and ate way too many. Then there were muffins. Next time I am serving haggis!

Annie
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full Sunday schedule then go home and do laundry.

Strength: hamstrings- seated leg curls, lying leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kbox tonight. Start of my new morning schedule since school is over now. Have a physical set today at the hospital that I haven't been able to do for 2 years since pandemic. Oh and game 5 tonight in SF!!!!

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi again for dinner. My weight has stabilized over the last week or so, so I have to get back on program.
  • Anniesquats100
    Cardio: walked 40 mins yesterday, did 15 min fast marching video today

Strength: did one hour of yoga

Assessment: my knee felt better this morning before exercise. I think it is slowly getting stronger. Yay!

Food: I ate muffins and cookies, carbs and sugar, this weekend, but I'm back on track now. Eggs for breakfast, then yogurt and green tea, then lunch is oatmeal with blueberries and protein powder. And I get four dried apricots. Then a spinach salad, and dinner is plain chicken. So let the diet recovery begin.

Annie
  • nossmf
    Strength: Legs

Squats 4x10
    RDL 3x10
    Leg Press 3x10
    Leg Extend 2x10
    Seated Leg Curl 2x10

Analysis: Moving leg day to Monday has already paid off, as I walked right past every single bench press station full, while half the squat racks were open. I can tell I didn't get a proper leg day last week, as I'm stiffening up a tad, but with a desk job it's all good.

Food: Lunch - sloppy Joe's, Dinner - parmesan chicken with baked potatoes and broccoli

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. With new schedule, I'm picking up a couple of extra clients. And a big win last night over the Celtics and now the DUBS only need 1 to be champs again!

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Chicken adobo and vegetables for dinner. As predicted, when I eat a little better, my weight shifts downward.