"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    edited December 2022
    Friday

Cardio:
    Elliptical - 1 hr hills

Dinner: Spaghetti with side salad

Saturday

Cardio:
    Elliptical - 5km hills

Strength: Full Body

Deadlifts 5x5
    Hack Squat 3x10
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 3x10
    Standing BB OHP 4x12,10,8,6
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extension 3x10

Analysis: In deference to my diminished grip strength, I tried the hex bar for deadlifts for the first time so I could use the neutral grip. Not only was I able to bang out 5x5 at my full weight, but it felt like I should have been lifting heavier. A work buddy says he also usually finds the hex bar MUCH easier. Now to rethink if I want to go back to pulling normal bar when my grip recovers.

Dinner: Ribs with peas

Monday

Strength: Leg Day

Squats 4x20
    BB Step-Ups 3x10
    BB RDL 3x10
    BB Hip Thrust 3x10
    Seated Calf Raise 3x10

Abs - Rectus Abdominus
    Cable Crunches 3x10
    Plank 3x90sec

Analysis: For the first time in a few weeks, my arm didn't hurt when I gripped plates to load the bar. I don't assume I'm spontaneously fully recovered, but this is definitely a good sign!

Food: Lunch - last day of Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey, ham, sweet potatoes), Dinner - homemade pepperoni pizza

Fantasy Football: Went 3-1 on the week, which not only guaranteed one league a first-round bye in the upcoming playoffs but in another league where I've already been eliminated, I got to play spoiler to somebody else's playoff dreams, which is always fun. This gives my records now at 11-2, a pair of 6-7, and 4-8. One of the 6-7 teams is now in a two-way tie for division title, and I believe (I'll check later)
    that I play my rival in week 14, winner advances, loser stays home for the playoffs. Basically, my playoffs begin a week early in that league. It's been a few years since I last won a title (2018, IIRC) in any of my leagues, but once you make the playoffs you never know. I've said before it takes skill to get TO the playoffs, but once there it's all a matter of luck. I once went 13-0 and lost in the first round; I've also had a team finish 6-7 with a single healthy RB (trades/free agency closed) which went on to win it all.

NFL: Another week, another creative way for my Broncos to lose, this time giving up the game's only touchdown after a 91-yard drive with under a minute to play, desperation driving into field goal range only to miss as time expires. Sigh. Some coworkers give me grief, ask every week why I'm still wearing my team's jacket, and beyond the fact it's my only winter jacket, I always tell them it's easy to be a fan when your team's winning, but only true fans continue to cheer during prolonged losing spells.

NFL 2: On a positive note, my second son just told me what his Christmas gift to me will be, because he wanted to make sure my work calendar was clear: he bought us (plus his brother) tickets to the next Broncos home game. I have no clue where the seats are yet, and I don't care; I'm completely blown away by the gesture, him spending so much money, but as he just got his medical waiver approved and he can now enlist in the Army, he wanted to have a big hoorah memory to hang onto before he reports to basic training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Hey gang

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. Warriors lost so week is not starting off the best. Good thing is I had a great workout yesterday and work was busy.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Steak and rice last night. I relaxed well after work. Weight is steady even after indulging over the weekend.

• nossmf
    Strength: Pull Day

Pullups 3 sets
    BB Row 4x10
    BB Shrugs 3x10
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Preacher Curl 3x8, 10, 12

Abs: Side
    DB Side Bend 3x10
    Side Plank 3x40sec

Analysis: Last night I went digging through my old gym bag and located my wrist wraps for use during the BB rows and shrugs. At the gym I was so pleased I remembered to find them...and subsequently left them on my bedside table. Oh, well, maybe next week.

Food: Lunch - lasagna, Dinner - Taco Tuesday
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day. It's been cold everyday outside the last week so at least I'm getting in some extra steps moving around.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Leftover steak and salad for dinner. I also had soup. With FFL no longer relevant for me anymore, I'm just listening to sports radio and how the 9ers are doomed again this year with injuries.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and class this morning. Been so frickin cold every morning now, so I have to start wearing more under shirts at school while outside watching the kids.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Lamb and salad for dinner. Warriors blew the game last night in the last 9 seconds.
  • nossmf
    Strength: Push Day

Cable Twist In/Out 3x15
    Bench Press 5x10, 8, 6, 4, 2
    Incline DB Press 3x10
    Decline Cable Fly 3x10
    Seated OHP 3x12, 10, 8
    Cable Pushdown 3x12, 10, 8

Abs: Obliques

Perloff Press 3x15s
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10

Analysis: I plan to take the entire week between Christmas and New Year's off from both work as well as the gym, spend it with my family. Come the start of 2023, I want to have a new routine ready to go (I try to change things up every 3 months or so, rotate exercises to keep things fresh). Means I need to start thinking now, as it usually takes me a few weeks to decide on a program. I've been very much enjoying the results of M-T-W legs-pull-push, Sat full body, so I'll strongly consider keeping that part, it's just a question of which exercises, sets/reps, etc.

Food: Lunch - taco salad, Dinner - Chick Fil A (youngest daughter has a school band concert tonight, and by tradition he/she who performs gets to choose dinner

Life: My second son's medical waiver got approved, and yesterday he officially enlisted in the U.S. Army. His report date to begin basic training is 2 Jan, with a projected graduation date (after basic, infantry training, and parachute training) sometime in July.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. Rained last night and will for the next couple of days. That's a good thing.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Pizza last night and finished watching TNF. Lol, the Raiders suck. I have so many friends that love them and for years get let down.
  • nossmf
    Cardio: Elliptical - one hour hills

Food: Date night tonight, will find out later where we are going, and from there figure out WHAT I will eat

NFL: Any week which includes our hated rivals Raiders losing is a good week, no matter what else happens!
  • nossmf
    Hey @ninerbuff, please take a quick look, let me know if I'm missing something crucial. Here's what I've come up with for my Jan-Mar 2023 lifting routine. I'm keeping my current schedule of:

Monday - Legs
    Tuesday - Pull
    Wednesday - Push
    Thu/Fri - Cardio
    Saturday - Full Body

My goals are to NOT use the "Big 3" (BB bench press, squat, deadlift) and use alternative exercises instead, both for variety as well as injury prevention. As before, each day ends with some ab work, hitting front, side, and rotational abs in different days.

Leg Day
    Hack Squat 4x10
    DB Walking Lunges 3x10 steps
    Machine Hip Thrust 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Leg Curl 3x10
    Seated Calf Raise 3x10
    Abs - Hanging Knee/Leg Raise 3x10

Pull Day
    Inverted Row 3x15
    Cable Row 5x5
    Cable Pulldown 4x10
    T-Bar Row 4x10
    Face Pull 3x10
    High Cable Curl 3x15
    Abs - 1-Arm Farmer's Walk 3x15sec

Push Day
    DB Press 3x10
    Incline BB Bench 3x10
    Decline Machine Bench 5x5
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Overhead Cable Extend 3x10
    Abs - Perloff Press 3x15sec

Full-Body Day
    Kettlebell Swing 3x15
    Landmine Squat 3x10
    Landmine 1-Arm Press 3x10
    Landmine 1-Arm Row 3x10
    TRX Reverse Flies 3x10
    TRX Curls 3x10
    TRX Triceps Extensions 3x10

I think I have all the basic movement patterns covered, with compound moves before isolations, only a single heavy exercise per day and the rest moderate weight. Any thoughts, if you don't mind? Not looking for a thorough analysis, more of a "you forgot this" or "this is a bad idea" kind of thing.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout then just my regular cleaning today. Warriors play tonight vs Celtics in a rematch of finals.

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner. I just relaxed after work and watched some TV.

• nossmf
    Cardio:
    Elliptical - 5km hills

Strength: Full Body

Deadlifts 5x5
    Hack Squat 3x10
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 3x10
    Standing BB OHP 3x12,10,8
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extension 3x10

Analysis: Finally remembered my wrist wraps to help with grip (just in time for my own grip to be feeling almost back to normal, of course), and they made a big difference in that I didn't have to pause a set just to fix my grip, but instead just kept banging out reps. Wasn't all good news, though. My hip/groin was feeling a little grumpy after the deadlifts, so I skipped my usual hack squats. By the time I got ready for curls/extensions, my hip was really bothering me, so I skipped straight to the hot tub for some therapy time. Must have worked, too, because my hip was barely noticeable while walking the grocery store.

Food: Lunch - KFC sandwich, Dinner - homemade pizza

Life: My kids all know that before I'll give my blessing on them leaving the house, they have to demonstrate to me they can feed themselves with more than takeout and microwave meals/cold cereal. Specifically, they have to create a 7-day meal plan, turn that meal plan into a comprehensive grocery list, shop for those items, and prepare the meals. All with my supervision, of course. With my second son going to basic training start of the new year, this week is his week. Tonight's pizza dough was definitely on the dry side, but all told a reasonably good attempt for his first time actually making the dough. Enough to not starve, anyway. On to tomorrow's dinner: chili!
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule this morning. Just the 9ers today since I'm out of FFL.

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Popeye's Chicken sandwich for dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing tonight. Great weekend! Warriors beat up on Celtics and the 49ers drubbed Brady and company with our 3rd string QB. I like our chances now.

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi last night for dinner. Fully rested and ready to hit it this week hard!

• nossmf
    Workout: N/A

Analysis: My hip flexor is still grumpy, so figured it'd be smart to not push it with a leg workout today. Tomorrow, I need to be in work early, so likely I'll just move all my workouts to W-R-F. This week I'm going to be lifting light as I figure out my starting weights for my new routine, so shouldn't be an issue butting up against Saturday's workout this week.

Food: Lunch - Subway, Dinner - Fried Chicken

Life: My son's chili the other day came out perfect, he was justifiably proud. But tonight is his first real challenge, making a complicated meal of fried chicken with a bunch of side dishes, all of them requiring different preparation times and trying to get it all done at the same time.

NFL: My Broncos lost to the Chiefs again, but I had to feel good about this one as we darn near pulled it off, where everybody assumed we were going to lose by multiple touchdowns. But with as many injuries as we've suffered this year, it's only appropriate that we lose Wilson just as the comeback was fully in swing.

FFL: Looks like I will go 3-1 the final week of the regular season (possibly 4-0 if DeAndre Hopkins goes nuts tonight), including spoiling the playoff hopes of two other teams. This gives me for the year:

11-3 (First round bye)
    7-7 (In playoffs)
    7-7 (Just missed)
    5-9

My total record for the year is 30-26, not great but it's better than .500 with a pair of playoff teams, so definitely not my worst year ever.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. Day was slow time wise. Meaning it seemed to move slow yesterday. I was beat when I got home from work.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Steak and rice last night. Was cold and rainy all day yesterday so probably why it seemed slow. Hopefully better weather today.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day.
    Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: KFC for dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and class this morning. Wife and daughter are leaving for LA today till Sunday so I get the whole house to myself this weekend. 9ers play Seahawks tonight for division lead.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. 49ers win division!!!! At least now we're in the playoffs.

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Chicken from Panda Express.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout then just my regular cleaning today. I may have to mow the lawn too with rain getting it to grow.

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Pho for dinner. Just rested after a long work day.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule this morning. Crazy games yesterday. And Hadi is the new Mr. Olympia. Didn't see that coming.

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Popeye's Chicken sandwich for dinner.