"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy weekend and Happy New Year! Start of another year and of course in my business.........RESOLUTIONERS!!!! Let's see how the gym is today.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Coconut curry chicken, rice and salad. I'm aiming to drop another 15lbs and this is the year I do it!

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing tonight. New year's resolutioners in full force this morning. More people on the cardio machines that I've seen in a long time.

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: With a small party before my inlaws leaving, I ate pizza, cake and other junk. 49ers pulled off a close one in the 9er/Raider rivalry and I'm feeling good about possibly getting the 1st rd. bye.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. It was BUSY yesterday and I expect it to be even worse because lots of people still had the day off yesterday from work.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Leftovers for dinner. And the Warriors won last night so a pretty good day overall!

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Monday Leg Day

Hack Squat 4x10
    Machine Hip Thrust 3x10
    DB Walking Lunge 3x10 steps
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calf Raise 3x10

Abs
    Hanging Knee Raises 3x10

Analysis: First workout of the year, first workout in over three weeks (since 10 Dec), first use of my new routine for the first quarter of 2023. In deference to likely DOMS, I kept the weights light, and a good thing, too, as the DB Walking Lunges in particular proved far more intense than anticipated. Skipped the hot tub for recovery (WAY too many people), mild DOMS this morning but nothing more than a "welcome back" kind of ache.

Food: Lunch - teriyaki chicken with rice, Dinner - pot roast

Fantasy Football: Figures my team would choose the championship round as the week to have its worst week of the season, severely underperforming across the board. I went from a projected 25-point winner to trailing by 41 entering MNF, with my QB Burrow & RB Singletary against his WR Stefon Diggs. Then the whole injury thing happened, game got postponed with no apparent decision on when, or IF, it will be finished. Not sure what this does to my title hopes, which of course don't matter compared to the health of the injured player. Thinking I may just concede the game, considering it would've taken heroic efforts by my guys to make up the lost ground.

Life: My second son left Monday morning to report for Army basic training. I'm all sorts of proud of him, my wife couldn't sleep at all last night for fear of him getting hurt, either physically or his sensitive soul not being tough enough to withstand the rigors of boot camp.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Tuesday Back Day

Inverted Rows 3x10
    Cable Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10
    T-Bar Row 4x10
    Face Pull 3x10
    High Cable Curl 3x15

Abs
    DB Suitcase Carry 3x30sec

Analysis: During my three-week break, my body healed up for the most part, except for my right elbow which continues to be grumpy when I try to grasp something. To be fair, it was feeling almost normal right up until New Year's Eve, when the family went to a local bowling lane for the first time in over a decade, which also include an arcade that had a "measure how hard you can punch the bag" game. Not only did I lose to my sons, but my elbow immediately flared up angry again, both conditions likely due to terrible form and mechanics. (I studied aikido in college, which doesn't have any punches.) Today at the gym it didn't seem to limit my grip strength pulling, but I felt it every second, and now at the office hours later it's super stiff.

Food: Lunch - leftover Little Caesar's pizza, Dinner - peanut chicken with rice
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Monday Leg Day

Hack Squat 4x10
    Machine Hip Thrust 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calf Raise 3x10

Abs
    Hanging Knee Raises 3x10

Analysis: First workout of the year, first workout in over three weeks (since 10 Dec), first use of my new routine for the first quarter of 2023. In deference to likely DOMS, I kept the weights light, and a good thing, too, as the DB Walking Lunges in particular proved far more intense than anticipated. Skipped the hot tub for recovery (WAY too many people), mild DOMS this morning but nothing more than a "welcome back" kind of ache.

Food: Lunch - teriyaki chicken with rice, Dinner - pot roast

Fantasy Football: Figures my team would choose the championship round as the week to have its worst week of the season, severely underperforming across the board. I went from a projected 25-point winner to trailing by 41 entering MNF, with my QB Burrow & RB Singletary against his WR Stefon Diggs. Then the whole injury thing happened, game got postponed with no apparent decision on when, or IF, it will be finished. Not sure what this does to my title hopes, which of course don't matter compared to the health of the injured player. Thinking I may just concede the game, considering it would've taken heroic efforts by my guys to make up the lost ground.

Life: My second son left Monday morning to report for Army basic training. I'm all sorts of proud of him, my wife couldn't sleep at all last night for fear of him getting hurt, either physically or his sensitive soul not being tough enough to withstand the rigors of boot camp.
    Being the commissioner, I let the two finalists try to decide what they wanted to do. On an $1100 payout, they split $650 to the leader and $450 to they guy trailing. He also had Burrow and Higgins going. But it worked out okay. The leader was up by 60points and was unlikely to beat him but first place stated that we would never know unless the game was fully played.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day. Supposed to be a major storm today here in the Bay Area.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Pork chops and salad for dinner. Well on my way to losing 15lbs.

• nossmf
    Options
    Wednesday Chest Day

DB press 3x10
    Incline BB press 3x10
    Decline machine press 5x5
    Cable lateral raise 3x10
    Cable overhead extension 3x10

Abs
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Analysis: The 48-hr-post-legs DOMS struck hard this morning; I was moving like a man twice my age for a while when I got up. Here's hoping all body parts will have regained full flexibility and range of motion in time for my full-body day on Saturday. Another observation is my workouts this week all took roughly 45 minutes to complete, compared to the hour needed with my previous routine. Part of that could be due to using lighter weights with DB's and cables compared to using predominantly BB's, which not only requires less warming up but also reduced rest time between sets. I'll continue to monitor the next couple weeks as I ramp up the weights used (intentionally went light this week, both to get used to the new routine as well as to ease back into lifting after a 3-week break). If the time remains consistently shorter, I may opt to add a quick 15-minute cardio session each day, undecided yet.

Food: Lunch - soy chicken with rice, Dinner - pan-seared BBQ pork chops with spicy baked potato

FFL: Looks like the commish decided to not wait on any NFL decision regarding the postponed game being completed and has declared my opponent the winner. If I was close enough in score to where I could feel guaranteed a win had Burrow played the full game I would complain, but as it stands my team just self-destructed this week, so I'll not raise a fuss.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and class this morning. Rain was bad yesterday, but not as bad as they were making it on the the weather report.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner. Warriors lose at home for only the 3rd time with like half the team injured. My resolve for the Bill/Bengals game..................kick field goals between Bass and Pederson. Start from the 20 and do 5yd increments till someone misses. Then whomever wins gets the team win.

• nossmf
    Options
    Workout: None

Analysis: In future weeks I'll do cardio on non-lifting days, but our washing machine died on us, and the replacement we purchased won't be delivered for another couple weeks. In the interest of not adding to the growing laundry pile, plus giving my muscles a break as I readjust to exercise, I just went straight to the office today after waking. Man, DOMS is a sure-fire excuse to NOT take an extended break from exercising..."keep working out, or you'll regret it when you return!"

Food: Lunch - stroganoff, Dinner - lasagna
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. It's not been as busy as projected, but that could be because kids haven't returned to school till next week.

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment:Steak, corn and rice last night for dinner. Weight is going back down again. Hopefully will hit 180lbs by end of March.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout then attending a friends party. Will make sure to control my eati

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Double Quarterpounder with cheese and fries for dinner. Well within calories though.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule. Will clean house after I get home. Warriors lost, but hopefully 9ers win and Eagles lose.

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi for dinner last night.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing tonight. Let's see how the gym is this morning. It's raining all week here and I start back at school for yard duty today.

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi last night for dinner. Just watched football yesterday after work. 9ers are second seed and play Saturday this week.

• nossmf
    Options
    Saturday

Cardio: Elliptical - 5km hills

Strength: Full-Body

KB swing 3x15
    Landmine squat 4x10
    Landmine press <superset> Landmine 1-arm row 4x10
    TRX flies <superset> TRX reverse flies
    TRX curls <superset> TRX overhead extend

Analysis: My soreness was gone when I awoke, so felt great during the workout. Felt awkward as blazes doing the KB swing. I know it's supposed to be a hip hinge providing the power, but didn't feel like I was doing it right. Almost grabbed a far heavier KB than anticipated until I realized the measurements were in KG, not LB.

Food: Lunch - KFC sandwich, Dinner - French dip sandwich with baked fries
  • nossmf
    Options
    Monday Leg Day

Hack Squat 4x10
    Machine Hip Thrust 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calf Raise 3x10

Abs
    Hanging Knee Raises 3x10

Analysis: Everything was going great until I stepped out for my first set of walking lunges. That was painful, ugh. Step too far, my hip flexor on the back leg twinged; don't step far enough, my knee on my front leg complained. Debating if I want to move the lunges to first in the order, ahead of the hack squat, under theory that it was lifting very heavy hack squats which set me up for failure on the lunges.

Food: Lunch - soy chicken with rice, Dinner - homemade pizza

Fantasy Football: My commissioner ruled that all Bengals/Bills players in the championship game would use the week 18 results in place of week 17. Didn't think it would matter, and it ultimately didn't, I still lost by a wide margin thanks to Saquon Barkley and Chubb combining for diddly squat. But my Broncos won their final game of the season, over a divisional foe, so I'm happy.

Life: Years ago my wife and I bought a sleep number bed, which allows us to customize how soft/hard each side of the bed is, and it's been fabulous. This Christmas we bought the second half of the setup, an adjustable base which allows moving the head and feet up/down. It got installed Saturday, and has yielded mixed results. During the day watching TV or reading, it's great, very comfortable to have the feet and head elevated. But at night we're already encountering a difference in opinion. She's a back sleeper, and her gimpy hips (made so by a drunk driver 3 years ago) find comfort with the feet still up all night long; I'm a side sleeper, and the elevated feet are placing a torque on my knees and hips which is uncomfortable at best, painful at worst. Unfortunately, while we can control the tension on each side independently, and the position of the head independent, the feet are all-as-one. We're still trying to find a compromise degree of elevation which allow both of us to rest all night long.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Monday Leg Day

Hack Squat 4x10
    Machine Hip Thrust 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calf Raise 3x10

Abs
    Hanging Knee Raises 3x10

Analysis: Everything was going great until I stepped out for my first set of walking lunges. That was painful, ugh. Step too far, my hip flexor on the back leg twinged; don't step far enough, my knee on my front leg complained. Debating if I want to move the lunges to first in the order, ahead of the hack squat, under theory that it was lifting very heavy hack squats which set me up for failure on the lunges.

Food: Lunch - soy chicken with rice, Dinner - homemade pizza

Fantasy Football: My commissioner ruled that all Bengals/Bills players in the championship game would use the week 18 results in place of week 17. Didn't think it would matter, and it ultimately didn't, I still lost by a wide margin thanks to Saquon Barkley and Chubb combining for diddly squat. But my Broncos won their final game of the season, over a divisional foe, so I'm happy.

Life: Years ago my wife and I bought a sleep number bed, which allows us to customize how soft/hard each side of the bed is, and it's been fabulous. This Christmas we bought the second half of the setup, an adjustable base which allows moving the head and feet up/down. It got installed Saturday, and has yielded mixed results. During the day watching TV or reading, it's great, very comfortable to have the feet and head elevated. But at night we're already encountering a difference in opinion. She's a back sleeper, and her gimpy hips (made so by a drunk driver 3 years ago) find comfort with the feet still up all night long; I'm a side sleeper, and the elevated feet are placing a torque on my knees and hips which is uncomfortable at best, painful at worst. Unfortunately, while we can control the tension on each side independently, and the position of the head independent, the feet are all-as-one. We're still trying to find a compromise degree of elevation which allow both of us to rest all night long.
    lol sleep sideways on the bed.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. Rain and more rain. It sucked yesterday having to be inside with the kids. Lunch seems so much longer when that happens.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Steak and green beans for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Tuesday Pull Day

Inverted Rows 3x15
    Cable Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10
    T-Bar Row 4x10
    Face Pull 3x10
    High Cable Curl 3x15

Abs
    DB Suitcase Carry 3x30sec

Analysis: Almost back to pre-break levels for weights used, so I was happy today. Just the face pull causing issue right now, as it places my right elbow at an odd position which incurred some griping on my elbow and grimacing on my face.

Food: Lunch - honey chicken and rice, Dinner - Taco Tuesday

Life: For some reason our new bed disconnected from Bluetooth last night, meaning we couldn't adjust the settings. My side hadn't changed from the night before so I was fine, but my wife had adjusted her side to sit upright during the day, then couldn't decline it for the night. I'm sure she's giving an earful to the Sleep Number rep considering it's been only a few days since install. (Personally, I suspect a cat somehow did something while walking underneath the bed...)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Elliptical - 5km hills

Analysis: After I posted yesterday, I took a look at my last couple entries where I grumbled about pain and grimacing through it, and had a serious slap-myself-upside-the-head moment. Who am I trying to impress by "playing through the pain?" What could be lingering for so long? So, I spent yesterday doing internet research, and all signs point towards me having developed a case of tennis elbow, or lateral epicondylitis, most likely due to a combination of age, repetitive motions via weightlifting and never giving my tendons a break on account of my job involving constant typing and manipulation of a computer mouse. Various sites have various ideas for recovery (of course), but the majority all call for a complete break from whatever caused the issue in the first place for anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months, then easing back in. Considering the 3 week break at the end of last year helped quite a bit, I've decided on the following recovery plan:

1. Take a 12-week break from lifting. Upon return, eliminate any exercise which directly stresses the outside of the elbow (face pull, lateral delt raise) and ease my way back in, starting at no heavier than 50% previous weights.

2. Utilize my left hand as much as possible for everyday repetitive tasks, such as using the computer mouse or eating with fork/spoon. (Helps that I'm ambidextrous.)

3. Increase cardio to daily to help maintain fitness level, even if strength level starts to ebb. (Should help kickstart losing the little bit of weight gained over the holidays.)

4. Increase protein intake to try to retain as much muscle as possible. Currently I have minimum goals of 100g on non-lifting days; will increase to 120g.

Food: Lunch - leftover homemade pizza, Dinner - baked chicken with buttered egg noodles