Tilapia vs Salmon?

Options
2»

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is, more often than not, farm raised in less-than-ideal conditions, whereas you can usually find fresh, wild salmon in the store. I try to eat more wild caught fish than farm raised, as they're generally in better health when caught. Plus, salmon just tastes better.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian now...but when I read about the tilapia being one of those fish on the bottom of the ocean floor livin it up in fish poo I stopped eating it (along w/ the other fish like that) and only ate the wild salmon.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian now...but when I read about the tilapia being one of those fish on the bottom of the ocean floor livin it up in fish poo I stopped eating it (along w/ the other fish like that) and only ate the wild salmon.

Tilapia live in fresh or brackish waters in temperate climates not in the ocean.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I can't eat salmon....its waaaaay too fishy for me....it even smells like fish after its been cooked and lemon put all over it. I like cod, halibit or tilapia.....

When i make tilapia, i use blackening spices and fry it in a pan with some pam on it
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have looked around in our local stores and all we can find is farm raised. How do you find wild fish in the middle of the midwest?
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have looked around in our local stores and all we can find is farm raised. How do you find wild fish in the middle of the midwest?

You won't find wild tilapia anywhere. As for salmon, you might check the freezer case. I live in a very rural area and have to buy frozen salmon and yellowfin tuna steaks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Tilapia for pre contest, and salmon all the time.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I could eat salmon every day of the week! (though we usually end up eating it twice/week).
    We tend to "dress up" tilapia more (fish tacos usually) and make salmon rather simply - just baked with fresh vegetables, usually.