"WHY SCALES LIE"

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    ..the exact reason I haven't weighed myself in 2 months, and never intend on doing so ever again!

Thanks for posting this for the many people out there who need to read it !!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    this thread is great, and I love the feathers and gold analogy
  • Thank you for this! It is the most lucid, rational and 100% accurate explanation I have read as to why weighing daily is pointless.

As one of those individuals who weighs herself daily, and whose mood is determined by what the scale says - I am going to print your post out, laminate it and stick it right next to my scale!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • very much informative..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    Many who weigh everyday live and die by the numbers on the scale. Remember that weightloss isn't linear. You can do the same exact thing everyday and have a different reading each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you for that one!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    bump
  • KCollynsSargent
    KCollynsSargent Posts: 6 Member
    Bump!
  • iwantdesperately
    iwantdesperately Posts: 43 Member
    Great information. Thanks!!!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Oh how I need this SO badly this morning!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!

I consider myself to be a sane and pretty intelligent person (depends on who you ask) and I KNOW this stuff but some how I tend to let this journey and those numbers define who I am and what I've been trying to accomplish all freaking week.

I seriously have nicknamed my scale the bipolar b***** because she's up and down and so damn unfreaking predicatable!

Thanks again!
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for this post. I really needed to read this today. My weight has stayed the same for almost a month now and I was starting to think there must be something wrong with me now, not being able to lose weight as on previous weight loss efforts over the years, ALWAYS showed a lose every week on the scale. I have noticed that I look abit smaller (unless it's wishful thinking and my imagination), and can feel more muscle in my back and shoulders.
  • ninerbuff
    bump
  • passionflwr1
    passionflwr1 Posts: 31 Member
    Bump for later
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Thanks for posting this, it was timely for me. The scale is either not moving or moving very slowly for me, but I am trying to look for progress in other areas. I also have been getting feedback from my BodyMedia that my diet is too high in sodium so I am consciously trying to improve that, as well as drink more water. We will see if this helps the scale move.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Thanks for this. I am attached to my scale, but what I have read will definitly make me think differently.
  • ninerbuff
    been awhile
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Bump
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    This is so worth the read. I wish it was pinned to the top of a board somewhere.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Very informative. I enjoyed reading this.

It's especially true that women put on several pounds of water weight the week or two prior to our periods starting. Some months have been very bad for me! But it's true that if you stick to an exercise program and watch your salt intake, the pounds won't be nearly as high.

I'm getting to that point where I might retain water for that time soon.
  • Tomtomtomfitz
    Tomtomtomfitz Posts: 13 Member
    well explained and worth a bump!
    I weigh in once per week and am wondering if even this is necessary...