how long after a workout do you have your protein shake?

2»

Replies

• ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Bump for later.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    I have it straight away. I workout at home so I can get it down me immediately. Don't think it would be a huge issue if you had it half an hour afterwards though.

I throw a scoop of whey, a small scoop of creatine and a couple of small scoops of dextrose (simple carbs to spike insulin and replenish glycogen) into my shaker and make it up with either 250ml of skim milk or water.

Jay
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Unless you are working out in a totally fasted state, it doesn't matter ad youre body is still processing the previous meals nutrients.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Meal timing is irrelevant even after a workout. The anabolic window lasts 24 hours so unless you don't eat for over a day, you're fine.

You can either drink a shake after your workout, wait until a few hours later, or wait until even later after that.

It doesn't matter.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    thanks everyone. i am now not quite so worried about the exact time that i drink it. i appreciate all the answers!!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Meal timing is irrelevant even after a workout. The anabolic window lasts 24 hours so unless you don't eat for over a day, you're fine.

You can either drink a shake after your workout, wait until a few hours later, or wait until even later after that.

It doesn't matter.

^^^ Exactly what he said.