How to defeat defeatism in running - advice please

2»

Replies

• rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    I don't know that I am qualified to give advice. I have been running for 5 years and haven't entered anything longer than a 10k yet. I just think what you are doing is so great and you have developed a life long healthy habit. I think you should try to focus on the great things you are doing. You don't seem like a quitter. Just keep going!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Yes don't compare with other people - I made that mistake!! Compete with yourself!! You sound a bit more positive about Sunday after all these posts which is good. The HM I am doing next month also has the 1:30 cut off for halfway but I know I can do 10k in under that & so can u!!! Also I took 2:48 to do the GNR in 2010 & most if my friends who have done halves are around 2:00 but I could never try & compete with them! I did feel better once looked at the official times though as i came 24,000th out of 56,000 people so that was a boost!! I am hoping to beat that time this year but we will have to see!! :ohwell:
    Take ur oyster card as u will know it's there if u need it but also may give u the boost to ignore it & carry on!! Is it on TV? If so will watch & cheer u on!! Good luck. :drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    sfoust, sorry you hear about you blood problems. Strangely enough when I gave blood a couple of weeks ago they just couldn't get a full pint out and had to abandon the donation. Hope you recover soon and get back up to speed. Well done for keeping it up despite feeling below par. Congratulations on your dedication.
    Interesting, I have ALWAYS had that same problem. I usually have a vein roll or I just stop bleeding. This is the first time since my teens that I was able to quickly and easily give a full pint. I was SO excited that day. And then SO upset two days later when I went for a run and started realizing that there was a problem. :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Aww, you're all so lovely you're making me :sad:

Another great perspective, rachie, thanks.

DF, before my plan went to pot, I was aiming for 2:45, so maybe I'll just give it a try. I looked at last year's results and loads of people came in at 3 hours and more, so great idea to check those out!

If nothing else, it will be a good baseline for my marathon training, which will include at least one more half :drinker:
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Do you or have you used a heart rate monitor while running? I know HRM's are boring but knowing the intensity I'm actually training to made all the difference to my running/training/planning...

From collapsing in a heap after most 10k's and running out of juice in half's, to running negative splits on a training half last Sunday.

It will not make any difference to your half this weekend, but for the London race in April you would have time to build a base and get faster 'if' you find training the heart rate % way is up your street.

As a start and only if your interested I recommend 'Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot' and then research Hadd method training.
  • BerryH
    Crux, I have a Garmin that did have an HRM, but it stopped registering with the chest strap despite a new battery. In the end I found it quicker and more simple to use the phone app, plus one less thing to carry!

I had that book many, many moons ago, but sadly it's one more thing the ex got custody of along with the house. It's a bit of a miracle how slow you go at first then suddenly speed up, isn't it? Definitely might be worth revisiting.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    This has got to be one of the most uplifting forum topic I've ever read. The responses are so uplifting and inspirational! I wish you all the luck in the world, Berry, on your running!
  • BerryH
    This has got to be one of the most uplifting forum topic I've ever read. The responses are so uplifting and inspirational! I wish you all the luck in the world, Berry, on your running!
    Aren't they just! I love MFP for the friends I've made and inspiration and advice and I've received :flowerforyou: