Eating under 1200 calories

12346»

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Said something once, wasn't appreciated, so I keep my fingers still and assume person didn't finish logging for the day. I consistently log through breakfast and lunch, but then I finish work for the day and leave the computer so don't log after lunch most days. It looks like I had maybe 600 calories for the day, but I think it's also obvious that I didn't finish.
  • rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    I hate to say it, but I'm one of those people. I don't do it intentionally though. If you look at my diary (It's open) you will see I'm eating CONSTANTLY, every 2-3 hours. I stop when I feel full. The problem is the things I am eating are generally low in calories, but very filling. Should I be stuffing myself to reach 1,200? I'm generally not as low as 800 calories, more like a thousand, but most days I feel satisfied with about 800 or 900, but I force myself to snack so I can get closer to 1,200 cuz I don't want to mess up my metabolism anymore than it already is. Any suggestions on how I can reach 1,200 without going over on my fat, and suger (which seem to be the two hardest things to stay under when I do eat higher calorie foods to try and get closer to 1,200)?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    :laugh:

Love it...Op totally agree with you!!!! :drinker:
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    First time I say something. Second or maybe third time I say something again. After that, I delete them.

I recognize that everyone is different and going about this their own way but there are limits to my acceptance. If I don't feel like I can support you I don't see a reason for us to be "friends".

Same.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I hate to say it, but I'm one of those people. I don't do it intentionally though. If you look at my diary (It's open) you will see I'm eating CONSTANTLY, every 2-3 hours. I stop when I feel full. The problem is the things I am eating are generally low in calories, but very filling. Should I be stuffing myself to reach 1,200? I'm generally not as low as 800 calories, more like a thousand, but most days I feel satisfied with about 800 or 900, but I force myself to snack so I can get closer to 1,200 cuz I don't want to mess up my metabolism anymore than it already is. Any suggestions on how I can reach 1,200 without going over on my fat, and suger (which seem to be the two hardest things to stay under when I do eat higher calorie foods to try and get closer to 1,200)?

You need healthy fats. Your body cannot absorb nutrients without it. Add nuts & seeds, avocados, olive oil, and other sources of healthy fats. A handful of 20 almonds is about 200 calories right there. Eat that twice a day, it won't be a lot of volume of food, but it will bump up your calories.
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Hmm..... You know I've been eating 1200 cals since last September.
    I used to be sedentary level until 2 months ago, Im finally exercising 5 days per week and 2-5 hours of gym time (yeah I have a lot of free time and no I don't do any intense workouts every hour Im there)
    I can't say Im eating back my exercise calories because I hardly make it to 1200 by midnight.
    But most of what I eat consists lots of salad and fruit snacking. Idk.
    But Im always full like I eat and eat and never starve myself or feel like Im neglecting my body of food.
    I seriously need to see my doctor and a nutritionist.
  • rockinchick221976
    I have been eating healthy fat and nuts, but only 1/4 cup twice a day because it seems like when I add more I always go over my daily fat daily allowance, it's really difficult get get everything in balance.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    I think it's time to close my diary, I get flack about this and I think the 1200 cals is an assumption of the average calories needed, everyone really is different, I eat when I am hungry and maintained my weight for years like this, when I stopped listening to my body, then I gained over 80 lbs. also , just putting it out there, but what about all the benefits being discovered regarding fasting?
  • deksgrl
    I have been eating healthy fat and nuts, but only 1/4 cup twice a day because it seems like when I add more I always go over my daily fat daily allowance, it's really difficult get get everything in balance.

What is your carb/protein/fat percentages set at? The MFP default isn't necessarily the only or best way to do it. For example, their protein recommendation is quite low. Did you set them custom for any particular reason, or do you use the default?
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Honest question, where did the 1200 cal/day come from? I've read it in dieting advice articles (usually woman shouldn't get less than 1200 and men shouldn't get less than 1500).

I don't see everyone being so similar in the weight/strength/height/BF%/etc that there are absolutes. Also people's goals are vastly different. There are people trying to lose >200lbs to those trying to lose <5lbs, some are trying to reduce BF%, some are trying to gain weight, others trying the gain muscle. Personally, I think those differences in goals are where this discussion stems from (I usually see those that aren't looking to lose that much weight and more interested in adding strength/getting ripped say how horrible it is to eat so few cals; and for them it would be, it's hard to impossible to add muscle in a caloric defeict). Maybe they should (or are) under medical supervision, do have ED, or have other reasons, but deleting them sounds selfish, judgmental, and childish.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Honest question, where did the 1200 cal/day come from? I've read it in dieting advice articles (usually woman shouldn't get less than 1200 and men shouldn't get less than 1500).

I don't see everyone being so similar in the weight/strength/height/BF%/etc that there are absolutes. Also people's goals are vastly different. There are people trying to lose >200lbs to those trying to lose <5lbs, some are trying to reduce BF%, some are trying to gain weight, others trying the gain muscle. Personally, I think those differences in goals are where this discussion stems from (I usually see those that aren't looking to lose that much weight and more interested in adding strength/getting ripped say how horrible it is to eat so few cals; and for them it would be, it's hard to impossible to add muscle in a caloric defeict). Maybe they should (or are) under medical supervision, do have ED, or have other reasons, but deleting them sounds selfish, judgmental, and childish.
    :heart:
  • CamrynFox
    CamrynFox Posts: 13 Member
    I started at 271 and now I am at 158 ... MFP has me set to 1200 now and it'shard for me to meet my 1200 every day. There are some days that it's great but not usually. I talked to my doctor and she's okay with my current intake ... it's not liquid calories, they are nutritional. Alot of the food I eat is very low in calories; salad, etc.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    i have my calories at 1500 but i eat around 1200 and try my absolute best not to go lower. some days i'm closer to 1500 and somedays i'm close to 1200 haha
  • rockinchick221976
    Yes, what Leenites said!
  • rockinchick221976
    No, I just went by what the site recomended for me based on my activity level how many lbs a week I wanted to lose, which was 2 lbs a week and sedatary. I didn't customize anything. That being said, I am ALWAYS over on my protein by at least 20 or 30 grams and under on my carbs anywhere between 30 and 70 grams. I'm usually right on target with my fat (healthy fat from nuts, guacamole, seeds, egg whites and olive oil most of the time) and right on target with suger and sodium, although I do occasionally go over on sodium. Either way, what I'm doing seems to be working, I'm losing between 1.5 and 2lbs. a week like I wanted to. I would feel really aweful if someone deleted my because I don't want to eat more when I'm not hungry. doing that is how I got fat to begin with.
  • boots7owls
    boots7owls Posts: 5 Member
    Delete whoever you want if that's what you really want to do - it's your perogative, even if it's deleting someone because they eat tomatoes every single damn day and that really gets up your nose.
    However - I can't see anything really bothering me enough to delete someone, especially someone you suspect may have some kind of disorder and may be overly sensitive to the fact no one wants to be their friend anymore.
    As for the whole eating too little calories, it could be due to a number of factors - like many people have said, a lot of the time people use rough estimates that are more than likely to be lower than they really are. Also, I focus on my weekly intake - eating lighter, provided I'm not hungry and manage to get in lots of good stuff, means I can go out on the weekend and enjoy some drinks and not sabotage my weight loss.
  • deksgrl
    No, I just went by what the site recomended for me based on my activity level how many lbs a week I wanted to lose, which was 2 lbs a week and sedatary. I didn't customize anything. That being said, I am ALWAYS over on my protein by at least 20 or 30 grams and under on my carbs anywhere between 30 and 70 grams. I'm usually right on target with my fat (healthy fat from nuts, guacamole, seeds, egg whites and olive oil most of the time) and right on target with suger and sodium, although I do occasionally go over on sodium. Either way, what I'm doing seems to be working, I'm losing between 1.5 and 2lbs. a week like I wanted to. I would feel really aweful if someone deleted my because I don't want to eat more when I'm not hungry. doing that is how I got fat to begin with.

Since you have a significant amount to lose, then losing 2 pounds a week is fine. I would not worry about the macro settings though and going over on protein and fat. Eating healthy fats won't make you fat, and if it helps you hit your calorie goal, then that is a good thing. Your calorie deficit is quite large enough.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Me