spread health this Halloween!

13»

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I agree that kids love chalk, toys and bubbles.

But for a kid that's out trick or treating, it's going to really be about the candy. If the parents weren't going to let them indulge, they wouldn't be out. So that's the parents choice to make, not yours. And you can spend all the money you want on toys or healthy treats, but know that most likely they will be tossed aside and paid no mind to by the kids that receive them.

Like others have mentioned similar experience, I grew up on healthy eating. Our cereal was Kix and Shredded Wheat (not the bite size stuff, the giant ones where it was one lump of shredded wheat that fille the bowl). Our treats consisted of fruit and dried fruit with occasional home baked goodies from my mom (who even went through a carob in place of chocolate kick for many years). And anything to drink other han milk, fresh brewed ice tea, water or 100% juice was unheard of.

So my sister and I looked forward to a few special times a year. Easter, when we'd each get huge baskets of candy. Our birthdays when we got cake and ice cream. Christmas when it was home made cookies as far as the eye could see. Superbowl Sunday, cuz we got chips and dip to munch during the game. And Halloween, cuz we were allowed to get as much candy as we could stand to collect that night and eat it all over whatever period of time we wanted to keep it for. So anything in that bag wasn't candy, we had absolutely no care for and it all immediately got tossed.

The only thing I can agree with is thinking of kids with allergies (though, again, if they're out, the parents have already accepted that there will be a treat bag to be sorted later). But having a bowl of candy without nuts or dairy so those kids can up their candy haul of edible treats is a great idea. :D
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I'm willing to risk being egged or tp'd buy if they touch my pumpkins this girls gonna go ghetto Philly on their *kitten*.
    Accept my pencils and like it, sucker!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm confused why the majority of people seem to be mad at me for my suggestions. i never said hand out produce, that wouldn't be appreciated OR cost effective

but what makes sidewalk chalk, or bubbles NOT a treat? kids LOVE bubbles and chalk and stickers too.

no need to be offended, when you hand out only candy you're totally excluding kids with type 1 diabetes or if you give out chocolate then lactose intolerant kids don't get to enjoy the holiday either. just saying.

plus these were suggestions. not me shoving my beliefs down anyones throats. i never celebrated halloween as a kid because it's against our religion but that doesn't mean that i don't have fun with it now. i just wanted to give ideas to those who were looking.

simple as that.

For me personally, it's the "sterilization" of everything fun these days. Everytime I turn around it's:

"kids cannot wear costumes to school that are too scary", or

"cities blow a big horn at 8:00 and everyone turns out their porch lights to enact the curfew (please, I can see a curfew of say 10 so that the older kids aren't out getting into trouble, but if a parent wants to walk their child around the neighborhood past 8 that's their peroga tive and if a house doesn't want to pass out candy past 8 they can make their own damn decision to turn off their porch light),

"We no longer have Christmas parties, it's a 'holiday celebration', Or a "fall festival" instead of Halloween,

"All kids get a trophy whether they win or not"

I'm just sick of all the rule changing to make everything fair and everything so "by the book". Yes, candy is bad for you, but so is living a life where nothing is fun and everyone makes everything so PC. Given the way kids of being raised these days, I am very scared of the adults and leaders they will turn out to be someday.

And yes, if you show up at some kids house and hand them sidewalk chalk or bubbles they'll probably be excited, but not when they're expecting candy when they go trick or treating. Or at the very least, offer options and let them choose.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Sadly if my kids got an apple or banana I would chuck it. There have been cases of jerks injecting foods with poisons, adding razorblades ect So sad! I agree with vergo. a bag of stretchy skulls 16 count is a buck at walmart and they "crawl" down the wall when you throw them at one:OP

I may look into those...apparently sticky things you can throw at the wall is all the rage right now with 4th graders lol. I actually thought about doing candy apples at the churches trunk or treat this year...but then thought about that, and wondered how many parents would avoid our car because I'm the creepy lady handing out apples.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Dear Posters,

A quick explanation on the locking of this thread

Please note the following forum rule:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The OP merely posted an article she found interesting, you could have said you didn't agree with it without resorting to snark. Opinions will always differ and while respectful debate is welcome, sarcastic, snarky put downs are NOT!

You may review the forum rules in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

Thanks for your understanding,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.