May be bad news

renae77
renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
Well my hubby and I are trying to buy a house because it is cheap for what all we can get. It includes an old house built in the 1960s, a single wide trailer, a 4-6 car garage, a barn, 2 other buildings and almost 5 acres of land. We actually started with the purchase agreement papers today and then we can send it to the lender to see if it gets approved. My hubby has been at his job for about 2 years now and he was laid off before and came back and was there about 4 years the first time, maybe more. I have been at my job for 8 1/2 years. My company has about 6 different plants. I found out tonight that plant 1 started layoffs today permanently. I am in plant 2 and we are supposed to find out tomorrow. This is not sounding too good. I'm not sure what I will do if that happens. My mom lost her job the week after Christmas and my dad may not have a job after June. My mom worked in furniture and I do as of tonight. My dad is a superintendent for a construction company. My hubby works for a fiber-optic company and has been working one day a week for the past few weeks. Sorry this post is so long. I know I have made some great friends since I have been here and you are all so supportive. Thanks for reading!
I have been stressed out over this house deal and the payments will be cheaper than our rent is now. This sure doesn't help my stress factor!

Replies

• renae77
    Well my hubby and I are trying to buy a house because it is cheap for what all we can get. It includes an old house built in the 1960s, a single wide trailer, a 4-6 car garage, a barn, 2 other buildings and almost 5 acres of land. We actually started with the purchase agreement papers today and then we can send it to the lender to see if it gets approved. My hubby has been at his job for about 2 years now and he was laid off before and came back and was there about 4 years the first time, maybe more. I have been at my job for 8 1/2 years. My company has about 6 different plants. I found out tonight that plant 1 started layoffs today permanently. I am in plant 2 and we are supposed to find out tomorrow. This is not sounding too good. I'm not sure what I will do if that happens. My mom lost her job the week after Christmas and my dad may not have a job after June. My mom worked in furniture and I do as of tonight. My dad is a superintendent for a construction company. My hubby works for a fiber-optic company and has been working one day a week for the past few weeks. Sorry this post is so long. I know I have made some great friends since I have been here and you are all so supportive. Thanks for reading!
    I have been stressed out over this house deal and the payments will be cheaper than our rent is now. This sure doesn't help my stress factor!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers about this.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Good luck. this economy is tough, but you'll make it through.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    at least with no mortgage you are more mobile if the need to move arises.
    I have a house back in Mississippi that I don't think I will ever sell--had to move as job lost there--and it is in the middle of BFE!

Hope you get good news tomorrow! Is there any work in the "under the table" business===gardening, house care of invalids, anything to supplement??
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Oh honey I'm so sorry. Times are tough right now. :frown: I'm only making $150 a week and my DH is trying to pick up odd jobs as much as he can. If you ever need to talk - about stress or coupon clipping just PM me. :flowerforyou:

I hope things get better for you!
  • renae77
    Thanks so much! I just hate this. We are still possibly going to go through with getting the house since it is cheaper than what we have here. And then I can pay off some of my other bills. I don't know of anything under the table around here and definately no jobs.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Renae I'm sorry you have to go through this:frown: I hope all works out for you and your family. My sis and I were going to buy a house but have decided to wait a year to see how things go and to save more of a down payment. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    five acres of ARABLE land??? Even HAY sells!
    I have a friend who has 10 acres and started rotating TREE crops for wood! She makes about 15K a year from TREES!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Ooof, I hate stories like this! :frown:

Prayers for you & your family, Renae! :heart:
  • renae77
    five acres of ARABLE land??? Even HAY sells!
    I have a friend who has 10 acres and started rotating TREE crops for wood! She makes about 15K a year from TREES!!!
    Yea about 3 acres is fields so that is a plus! We will have to see how everything goes after tomorrow with my job. The bank will take longer before we find out anything.
  • finallyproud
    finallyproud Posts: 154 Member
    I'm so sorry your going thru a rough time:flowerforyou: I completely know how you feel, my hubby was laid off friday:grumble: I'll keep you in my prayers.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Yes the economy is messed up! But dont worry things will get better just take it one day at time. I will pray for you as well, and you do the same. God will not give you more than you can bear. Through him all things are possible, so you keep your faith strong and your head high! And you better not be stress eating, take your frustrations out at the gym! Things will get better, we all are going through some things some more than others! Trust me you will be okay, I know you will buddy! Take Care ttyl
  • renae77
    Yes the economy is messed up! But dont worry things will get better just take it one day at time. I will pray for you as well, and you do the same. God will not give you more than you can bear. Through him all things are possible, so you keep your faith strong and your head high! And you better not be stress eating, take your frustrations out at the gym! Things will get better, we all are going through some things some more than others! Trust me you will be okay, I know you will buddy! Take Care ttyl
    Thank you and I totally agree with that saying!!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Maybe this is supposed to be a new beginning. New land. New home. New life.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Times are tough everywhere:frown: and I am sorry you are struggling so much.
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    First Renae, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, times are very tough right now my Mother in-law, and Father in-law both lost their jobs within 2 weeks of each other, they should be in their winding down at work stage in their life but instead they are strugling, and penny pinching to get by. I know how hard it is. Family is so important during this time, if you stick together you will find that things are not always as bad as they seem! HANG IN THERE

with that being said you should absolutly GO for that house sweetie! alot of people think that the economy is in a slump, in reality its where it should have been before the housing market "falsly over-inflated" the economy. with that Home ownership should be looked at as an INVESTMENT, you will be investing in your future! from the sounds of it you have done your homework and if you save money, all the better! it is a very good time to purchase a home because it is a buyers market! Good luck with the house and keep us posted about the progress!

and again! try not to worry about everything just hang in there!

Big hugs for you and your Family! ((((((((Renae)))))))
  • renae77
    First Renae, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, times are very tough right now my Mother in-law, and Father in-law both lost their jobs within 2 weeks of each other, they should be in their winding down at work stage in their life but instead they are strugling, and penny pinching to get by. I know how hard it is. Family is so important during this time, if you stick together you will find that things are not always as bad as they seem! HANG IN THERE

with that being said you should absolutly GO for that house sweetie! alot of people think that the economy is in a slump, in reality its where it should have been before the housing market "falsly over-inflated" the economy. with that Home ownership should be looked at as an INVESTMENT, you will be investing in your future! from the sounds of it you have done your homework and if you save money, all the better! it is a very good time to purchase a home because it is a buyers market! Good luck with the house and keep us posted about the progress!

and again! try not to worry about everything just hang in there!

Big hugs for you and your Family! ((((((((Renae)))))))
    Thank you so much! It is all appreciated! I think we are still going for the house. Trying to anyway. There is more equity already in the house than what we are paying for it. It needs work but has so much potential to be great! I should know more today about the job situation! Thanks again!
  • renae77
    Ok well here is an update on the job situation. I still have my job as of right now. Not sure for how long but happy for now. One big problem, my best friend Tracee lost hers, and she is pregnant. So far they got rid of 8 people in our department but we aren't too sure it is over. Now about the house ordeal, the lady that was supposed to sign the purchase contract has decided that she wanted a day or two to think about it. There is nothing she can do about this. If she doesn't sign the contract then her house will be foreclosed on and she won't have anywhere to live and won't be able to take her trailer with her. So now we are still stuck knowing nothing and those people are gonna end up with nowhere to live. We had her word that she would sign those papers. I guess she thinks that her brother(whose name is on the loan) is going to get some money out of us. They aren't getting anything but the payoff. The extra money she sees on the papers is lawyer fees, appraisal, taxes, insurance, fee to file the papers, that is all! What is wrong with people??
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    I'll be praying for you tonight.

Best wishes.
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Well hopefully you get that house, it would be awesome even if it needs a little updating the money you will save and then the Equity (money) you will gain will be good for your family.

I made an Excel Spread sheet to see on a loan I am trying to get for 300k if i made one extra mortgage payment a year my 30 year mortgage would now be 25 years and I would have saved $66,000 in interest alone over that 25 years.

i broke it down and my payments would only be $150 extra a month. so you should check into that. I could modify my spread sheet for you if you want! its fun to see what you can do with your money to make more money!

Good luck and keep us posted as you hear any updates!

My fingers are crossed.. I have a good feeling about it!