Question for century riders

2»

Replies

• drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Thanks, drewzaun! I will be looking into a road bike, hopefully this year. What kind of shoes are you using with the clipless pedals?

Welcome. I enjoy talking about cycling as it is a way to stay motivated even though there is snow on the roads now:grumble: Of course I could get the mountain bike out and do some snow biking, but I am a bit of a sissy with the cold this year:embarassed:

Anyway, if anything I am about to write makes anyone go :noway: let me know, I will try to explain it better...

My first set of pedals were your standard Shimano SPD pedals. I got a good deal on Specialized mountain shoes and knew I wanted a mountiain bike too, so I could use the same shoes for both, makes sense? Actually it really doesn't.

The SPD pedal is kind of hard to get into in a hurry, like at trafic lights when you are trying to get across during a turn arrow and such. Also there is very little base to put your foot on if you don't clip in., so you will slip off too easily. The shoes were comfortable but heavy, and the recessed cleats just added to the troubles I was having. In order to clip in easily I had to back the tension all the way out, meaning sometimes I clipped out when I didn't want to.:grumble:

SO, I relegated those pedals to my new mountain bike (which was another disaster, I am NOT a good trail rider no matter my prowess on the road, but that is another post:embarassed: )

I then went with the SPD SL pedal. This pedal has a larger foot print, large enough to pedal with a sneaker really, so no worries about clipping in quickly, which is far easier anyway. Second, even though they are bigger, they are lighter, which really does make a difference. So, onto the shoes...

I initally bought Nike shoes. I got a good deal on a $180 set of shoes with carbon fiber soles, really nice, got em for $90 brand new, the only issue is they are just about big enough for my feet. Not wholly uncomfortable, but I can only wear the thinnest socks and am not interested in rides more than 2 1/2 hours in them. So I bought the cheapest pair of Forte shoes I could find on Performance.com and wow, for cheap shoes I found a great pair. I love these shoes, they are roomy, not too heavy, and durable. I wear these for commuting, foul weather riding, and long distance rides. (although last year I road teh first day of the MS150 in the Nikes and had no issues)

For people new to the idea, clipless pedals (which ironically enough means the shoes clip into the pedals:angry: ) actually make for a safer ride. You tend to pay more attention when your feet are locked into the pedals, you don't slip off the pedals by accident, and you are less likely to do something dumb like put your legs out at high speed because you are getting nervous. There is an issue with what we call Slow Speed Crashes (not that that ever happens to me:huh: ) where you forget your feet are clipped in and you stop and can't put your foot down in time, but to be honest all the people I know who have done that never get hurt, at least physically. There was one time this guy, that I know, had an issue 2 miles from the end of the MS150, and the cop at the intersection wanted to call an ambulance, but there was no way on Earth I..I mean my friend was not going to finish the ride with 2 miles to go!

Anyway, they are the best option for safety and comfort and performance, give them a shot!
  • There is an issue with what we call Slow Speed Crashes (not that that ever happens to me:huh: ) where you forget your feet are clipped in and you stop and can't put your foot down in time, but to be honest all the people I know who have done that never get hurt, at least physically.

We say in our group "its not if it happens but when it happens".:ohwell: Its more embarassing than anything. Its worth it though.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Has anyone ever tried www.mapmyride.com? It is a great way to map out your route, and it is accuate to within .01 miles. I checked it against my Trek bike computer, right on the money. You can also get a readout of cals burned during your ride (approx.).
This discussion has been closed.