STARS 9 WEEK CHALLENGE (CLOSE GROUP) WK 6

Replies

• starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    11/3/11-QOTD: What part of your body do you struggle with the VERY most....you know the part I am talking about...the one that is always the very last to show improvement...the one you have the mental battle about all the time...saying "its never going to change...argghh" AND......what are you trying (and/or have tried) to improve it????

My arms. I'm get so disgusted with my arm and how flabby they are. I can't even fit in to some shirts because of my arms. If I could for lipo I would get it at this point.

QOTD-11/4 What's your favorite strength training move? Why? Least favorite?

Tricep curls. It give me hope that one day I will get rid of these bat wings.:laugh:
  • Tiffany517
    Tiffany517 Posts: 117 Member
    tameko2 thank you f or the information i sure am going to try, i also printed it out.. Crossing fingers that something will happen!!!! =)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    11/4/11 mini challenge - 5 squats every time you go potty
    challenge complete! Well every time I went to potty alone - hard to potty or squat with 20 month old into everything in potty.
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member

I guess my favorite strength move right now would have to be squat press. I work my legs and my arms, and both are looking nice lately. My least favorite is still burpees. I can do them better now, but I still do not like them at all.
  • sboo
    I missed one.

11/02/11 - QOTD

What is 1 of your proudest moments as a parent (one for each child if you wish); and if you're not a parent name one of your proudest moments regarding yourself!

Well my little one are still small, but I think my proudest moment of all three of them is when there learned to go to the potty. I was so happy I didn't have to buy diapers and pull-ups anymore.
  • QOTD-Saturday 11/5 I'm looking for some healthy but fun seasonal recipes! Share your must-have recipes for this time of year as the temperatures start to drop and the holiday season approaches!

I don't like pumpkin pie, but aside from that ANYTHING pumpkin flavored is fair game right now! I especially love this recipe for pumpkin spice cream cheese.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/pumpkin-spice-cream-cheese.html

Challenge: Remember that move you said was your least favorite yesterday? Give me 5 ;)
  • QOTD-Saturday 11/5 I'm looking for some healthy but fun seasonal recipes! Share your must-have recipes for this time of year as the temperatures start to drop and the holiday season approaches!

You might like the recipe for this soup: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/341268/Squash-and-pepper-soup
    Butternut Squashes are very cheap here at the moment.

I often make a really easy stew where you brown some lean beef steak pieces & chopped onion in olive oil. Then I mix up a packet of powdered Oxtail soup with about a litre of hot water and pour over the meat. You can add chopped carrots and quartered baby potatoes. I add a dash of Tabasco sauce. I just simmer it away until the carrots & potatoes are tender and then serve it with a dollop of cabbage..delish!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member

I love planks. They were so hard on me when I first started doing them but I can hold for longer than anyone in pilates now, over half of whom are younger and in far better shape than me. I get into this zone and imagine I am somewhere beautiful.

I hate burpees. Let me say again.......I HATE BURPEES.:explode:
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    QOTD-Saturday 11/5 I'm looking for some healthy but fun seasonal recipes! Share your must-have recipes for this time of year as the temperatures start to drop and the holiday season approaches

I don't have any recipes but I really hate mermaid planks so I'll be doing those.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    QOTD-Saturday 11/5 I'm looking for some healthy but fun seasonal recipes! Share your must-have recipes for this time of year as the temperatures start to drop and the holiday season approaches!

Challenge: Remember that move you said was your least favorite yesterday? Give me 5 ;)

I usually bring the salad or grilled veggies so that's not too interesting. For salad I like to do baby spinach, cranberries, goatcheese and optionally nuts.

I already did chest presses (one armed), plank rows (20 lbs, wut wut), side squats, pushups with one leg up (YE-AH)

So I think I'm good.

Yesterday I did pushups instead of squat.s
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    QOTD-Saturday 11/5 I'm looking for some healthy but fun seasonal recipes! Share your must-have recipes for this time of year as the temperatures start to drop and the holiday season approaches!

Crustless Pumpkin Pie
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 eggs
    2 cups canned pumpkin
    3/4 cup evaporated milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
    1. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in the pumpkin, milk, vanilla and cinnamon if desired; mix until well blended. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Place pie plate in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water to pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

270 calories if you use real sugar - much less of course if you use splenda - or half sugar/half splenda

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH - I hate push-ups! I suck at them. Got them done but in 2 sets - so freaking sad!
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member

Challenge:Every time you go to the bathroom today, do 5 squats!

I love to do planks...I think its because the very first time I tried I couldnt hold it there....but now I can....love them :)

My least favorite....to take that plank into the dreaded pushup.....My arms just cant do them...!!! I keep trying and huffing and puffing...and the look PITIFUL when I do them!! BUT....someday.....lol..I'm not giving up!!

PS> I didnt see this til today, but mini challenge all taken care of....been squatting all day...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member

I love these in the fall...when I have those days when I wanna feel like I am being a really bad girl....lol.....

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/pumpkin-spice-pancakes-with-pumpkin.html

OH MY.....5 of those ICKY pushups.....well....DONE :) whew.......
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    QOTD-Sunday 11/6 Tell us something(s) about yourself we don't know.

I love to do pottery. I am an amatuer but have sold a few pieces and have had a few shown in our local gallery. I took a couple of lessons 2 years ago and was hooked. I found it to be a great way to relieve stress. It is also impossible to eat when your hands are covered in clay! I am mediocre at best but had a great teacher that encouraged and helped me understand in art, that which is imperfect has a beauty all it's own. My favorite piece is one that I would have thrown back into the scrap bucket had he not stopped me and forced me to look at it in a new way. I have turned down several offers for it but would never sell it as it is a reminder to see my own imperfections in the same way. For this "type A", that is a good thing.

Mini Challenge: Planks x 10. As long as you can hold them stretched out through the day or all at once, your choice.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member

Well, I don't have any favorite recipes that work for the fall/winter season, so I have been searching for some online. I found this one recently and really want to try it out. It sounds great, and is low in calories. If you get to it before me, tell me what you think.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons canola oil
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    8 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
    4 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation

Cook oil and curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, celery and onion; toss to coat in oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand 10 minutes. Lay a paper towel over the surface of the soup to blot away the oil that has risen to the top. Discard the paper towel.
    Working in batches of no more than 2 cups at a time, transfer the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Return the pureed soup to the pan, place over medium heat and heat through. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.

Nutrition

Per serving: 133 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 4 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member

Well, I make jewelry. I started to sell it this year, but I have been making it for years. I was in a few shows this summer, and plan to do more next summer. I haven't made many pieces in the last few months though because I have a ton to get up on my website, but haven't yet. It is a great way to pass the time, and I always have something pretty to wear with any outfit. :)
  • QOTD-Sunday 11/6 Tell us something(s) about yourself we don't know.

Well it really bothers me when I see people eat their hamburgers upside down! There is a top and a bottom part to a bun for a reason people! Or when the volume on your car stereo isn't on an even number, that bother me too! I could go on but that would just make me look weird!!! LOL Yes I know! There is medication for this!!!!!

Well it really bothers me when I see people eat their hamburgers upside down! There is a top and a bottom part to a bun for a reason people! Or when the volume on your car stereo isn't on an even number, that bother me too! I could go on but that would just make me look weird!!! LOL Yes I know! There is medication for this!!!!!

• sboo

I don't really have any favorite recipes. I like to eat, but I don't cook much. I love my moms cornbread dressing she makes for Thanksgiving, but I dont know the ingrediants. Maybe I will learn them this year.

Mini: Challenge done ): 5 burpees.

I like art. Whenever I have are find free time I like to paint, are just draw what I see. I like to draw are paint people mostly.