What's the saddest song you know?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sarah McLachlan ...Angel, from City of Angels Movie

This is probably #1 on my list. It was constantly on the radio during a very bleak time in my life and every time I hear it I'm in my car again, driving under a Winter sky, utterly desolate and alone.

Another one that's utterly depressing is Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.

And although I feel like I should create an assumed name to admit this under, I'll confess to having heard (and crying my eyes out over) the Memories song from Cats.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Dance with my Father by Luther Vandross.

Getting better at it, but still cry when I hear it
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well there are two now....

#1 "Con ti partiro (time to say goodbye)" - Andrea Bocceli & Ssarah Brightman... because we chose it as my mother's departure music at her funeral... I love the song but it reduces me to floods of tears now.

#2 "Du måste finnas" - Helen Sjõholm ... also known as "You have to be there" (most recently covered by Susan Boyle)... but the original Swedish version from the musical Kristina från Duvemåla is just so amazingly powerful and even though I'm a heathen I think it's so heart-wrenchingly beautiful and sad at the same time.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    :sad: Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton
    Ever since my brother died this is it I can even hear the opening or Ill start crying and it suck cause I love Eric Clapton
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKRXhmFQlw

My Immortal
    Sung by: Evanescence

:brokenheart:
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The Cure - Pictures of You (My all time favorite band and I cry EVERY TIME I hear it... especially in concert.)

and

Adele - Make you feel my love (I was in a restaurant one day and this song came on and I tried to keep myself from crying so I went into the bathroom just to hear it booming over the speakers in the bathroom EVEN LOUDER than it was in the restaurant. LOL!!)

and

Silent Night... In any shape, form or fashion (This was played at my Grandmother's funeral and is the primary reason that I now hate Christmas music)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    'Con ti partiro'--beautiful song. Reduces me to tears WITHOUT a powerful association to my mother's funeral. Thanks for mentioning it---I went to youtube.com and really enjoyed it. Sorry for your loss. Moms make the best cheerleaders in life, and are impossible to replace.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Eric Clapton- River of Tears
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    No Surprises - Radiohead
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    No Surprises - Radiohead

...how?!

Any song by Bright Eyes
  • sarajean_91
    Options
    Holes in the floor of heaven---Steve Wariner
    Go rest High on that mountain---Vince Gill
    The little girl---John Michael Montgomery

Just few of the many I know but if you listen to any of these you will have a tear in your eye by the end everytime.
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    Eric Clapton -- "Tears in Heaven", a song dedicated to his young son who died after falling out of a window. :sad:
  • sarajean_91
    Options
    By far the saddest song ive ever heard is........ TEDDY BEAR by RED SOVINE if you take the time to listen to it you will cry by the end guranteed. :(
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    "This Old Dog" by Markus Meier. It's about his old dog dying and going straight to heaven. It's beautiful because it brings out his love for his dog and it's sad because he loved it so much.
  • Bunnzye
    Options
    OH DANNY BOY, AND AMAZING GRACE PLAYED ON BAGPIPES!!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just a dream by Carrie Underwood...makes me cry all the time. It played all the time right before my husband deployed.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Tom Waits has to have some of the most real and most vulnerable songs ever written. A few of the saddest ones I would say are, "Take It With Me", "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" and "Hold On", the last one having particular personal meaning to me that makes me break inside when I hear it. Damn, can that man write.

Oh, and for good measure, Nick Cave writes some incredible songs. The live version of "Into My Arms" is also a touchy one as well. If you want to spend all day drinking alone and contemplating how much you've screwed up in life and took *kitten* for granted, listen to Nick Cave.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of them I could name, but the one that always gets me is Iz's version of Over the Rainbow. Reminds me of my uncle.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bette Midler, Wind Beneath my Wings......This was little boys favourite song before he passed away...