I wish you could all just once, see my pup eat his food, LOL

Options
2»

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have the world's pickiest dog. He'll eat his food/treats but only after thoroughly "inspecting" it by nibbling, sniffing, and pushing it around with his nose. He's suspicious of anything you try to give him. But he wasn't always that way... I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

About two years ago, right after I rescued him, he was begging for food while I was eating chicken. I was also eating steamed broccoli and I decided to "cure" him of his begging... so I threw him a piece of broccoli. Normally, he'd leap up, catch whatever I thew him and gobble it up without the first chew. When I threw the broccoli, he leaped up, caught it, half swallowed it and then gagged. Apparently my dog despises broccoli and I thought I was going to have to give him the doggie Heimlich. Ever since that moment he is super suspicious of what you hand him, and he lets bits of food thrown at him land on the ground first so he can inspect them. And when you try to give him broccoli (or really anything not liver flavored), he literally turns and walks away LOL.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    My dog does the same thing!!! It's almost like he's afraid of it. Also, he will NOT eat out of a bowl. At all. or even off of a paper plate. I have to keep his food on a paper towel... I'm surprised he drinks his water because he won't stick his nose into ANYTHING that remotely resembles a bowl. If his favorite toy is in the dog toy basket (yes, he's got one of those) he won't take it out, he'll just stare at it and whine. He LOVES :heart: these green chewy dog treats, he only gets one a week. We put it in a bowl once and he cried and cried and cried and wouldn't get it out.

Anyway- after he steals a piece of food from his bowl he brings it to the living room and stares at it for a good while before eating it. I tease that he's "letting it age" or "stalking it" - it really is amusing to watch!

Oh - and one time, I insisted he'd eat from the bowl if we left it there long enough as I HATE having a paper towel covered with doggie food that rolls off onto my kitchen floor. 10 days he didn't eat! He kept asking to go out constantly then wanting to come back in, because he was hungry and knows that whenever he comes in from being outside he gets a doggie biscuit and he was hungry! On that 10th day I caught my boyfriend lying on the kitchen floor with him hand feeding him from the bowl.... I gave in and put the bowl away.

:laugh:

I've had my guy since he was 7 weeks old and he's now 7.5 years old, he's ALWAYS been this way!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    When I first got my doxie puppy, he would go through these crazy growth spurts :noway: - like I had to adjust his collar 2 or 3 times in one week! I could tell when he was having one, because he would eat like a horse (he was a 3 lb puppy when I got him!), and sleep a lot! Well, he didn't have teeth yet, so I still had to wet his food (dry)...and he would proceed to eat it so fast that he would give himself hiccups!! :laugh: It was so funny. I finally had to start giving him half his food at a time to prevent him from eating so fast!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a rat terrier - and she brings her food in the living room to eat too!:laugh: She's like a squirrel though, she fills her mouth with the food, like 12 peices or so, then brings it in the living room, drops it on the rug and starts eating it! She's 11 years old and has always done this! Crazy little animal. She also LOVES my black cat! They lay in the floor and lick each other 'til they're all clean!

Funny story - my sister got a PRECIOUS little toy yorkie puppy a few years ago. It's head was bigger than its body and when it would eat or drink from the saucer, putting her head into the bowl, her back paws would come up off the floor - and then when she raised her head, her paws would go back on the floor!:laugh: :laugh: We probably really overfed her those first few days 'cuz it was so stinking hysterical to watch her seesaw back and forth over the saucer!!!