What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Options

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    JutaeKenBo = a cross between Jujitsu, Taekwondo, Kratate, Kempo, and Kick Boxing - my instructor's own style.
  • tonywp
    Options
    Tang Soo Do (black belt), Thai boxing and boxing train 4 to 5 nights a week at this point
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have trained Muay Thai on and off for about 8 years. I might go a few months without training due to work (used to run my own business - no time to sleep or eat sometimes, let alone train) or injuries (missed a year from a very nasty ankle sprain and peroneal tendinitis), but I always come back and I still love training as much as when I first started.

I closed my business this year and I am using my newfound free time to do rehab on my ankle and train a lot more :-)
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I am from London, Canada and I have just started Kempo Karate. I can get out about 3 times a week to train. I am enjoying it so far. I got into it because my 7 year old son was interested in taking it so I decided to take it as well.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I just started tang soo do late august.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi, from Leicester, UK. Have been training in TKD (TAGB) for 5 years now and going for my Red belt (2nd kup) in a few weeks. I did a brief couple of months of Jiu Jitsu but didn't get on with the teaching style used. I plan on going back to it if I can find a different school.
  • Devodonaldson
    Devodonaldson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Devo 'Turtle' Donaldson. I'm currently a professional boxer in Los Angeles, CA. I've been boxing for 7 years. I also did 6 years of Okinawan shorin ryu, 9 years of Tae Kwon Do, and 1 year of Kung Fu. Boxing is what I do, but a martial artist is what I am!. My body is my temple. I look to further strengthen it on a daily basis.
  • holland1982
    Options
    I'm just rejoining MFP today to try to boost my attempt to lose this weight.

I've been kickboxing for over two years now. I don't compete, I just train in my classes (which are very boot camp-like and many instructors from other dojos have said our school is unlike any they've seen). I'm one of the strongest females at my school.

I'm a green belt in Jujitsu, which I've been doing for a bit under a year. Our rank testing combines striking, takedowns, and floor grappling of course. There is a lot of crossover and our school combines many teachings to get the best possible results but we are considered a combative Japanese Jujitsu dojo.

I am the only person I've ever seen gain weight while training. It is very frustrating, and I can diet like hell for months on end and lose some weight but the training doesn't help me drop at all - then I just give up. Of course it affects my ability to learn JJ easier because of less flexibility and speed. I get frustrated easily and right now I've been slacking in my attendance, causing me to not piecing together rolling techniques like I should at this point in my education. I can mimic a lesson and do the separate moves perfectly, but put the clock on and my mind goes blank. I am also afraid of being the one that hurts someone else due to my size.

So long story short, I've joined this group to try to motivate me to train more and get better. I think my gi is a size 4 and I really don't want it to be any more.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Taking a step forward with Kajukenbo (WHKD school) and BJJ

Tried Knockdown Karate, Wing Chun Kung Fu, Japanese (Americanized) Jujutsu/Judo
  • nickpetratos
    nickpetratos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hi pals! i am Nick, i was Runner for years and before one month i decide to change direction of my fitness. so i start lessons of Muai Tai, tae kwon do and capoeira.
    i am SO impressed from this, only one month into this and i see diference on my body, on my movement, on my reflexes....

i love it!
  • at_night_bookstore
    at_night_bookstore Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Muay thai
    3 years , 3 times 1.5 hours a week in a club and 2 special indiviual practices focussed on explosivity and speed... working on one punch knock out power...
  • steffanutter
    steffanutter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started TKD in Sept am currently a high yellow belt. I have class 3 times a week for about 45 min. I absolutely LOVE it and wish I had started years ago - BUT - I'm doing it now, and that's what matters!! I'm working on losing weight, I gained back 35lbs *boo*, and increasing my flexibility. Any tips/exercises/support is definitely welcome and appreciated! Feel free to add me as a friend!

~Stefanie
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I grew up studying TaeKwonDo, but after high school started branching out into boxing, Fukien White Crane Boxing, and Jiu jitsu. I've been focusing primarily on Krav Maga for the past two years, though now that I've moved too far away to make it to my old gym, I've had to settle for Kickboxing until I find a sparring partner.
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Sarah. I studied Taekwondo under my father for over 15 years. Unfortunately, his school closed recently. In that rather empty slot of time, I ran some and worked with a kettlebell, but it wasn't the same as studying a martial art.
    After months of milling about not knowing what to do with myself, I began studying Judo on December 14th. Since that day, Judo has been an obsession. If I'm not training, I'll study terminology or practice what I do know.
    I travel over 4 hours roundtrip to Chicago to train 3 times a week.
    I'm legally blind and it has been my dream to compete in the Paralympics since I was in high school.
    So, here I am. My debut competition will be on April 12th. I'm nervous as all helllllllll - But learning things every day.
    Nice to meet all of you and hope to hear your stories.
    - Sarah
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first Shiai! Do take your first few competitions as simply a learning experience on what competition is like, it's a whole different animal from Randori. The first time I stepped out on the mats everything I had learned just seemed to drop right out of my head!
  • aeribus
    aeribus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started in Tae Kwon Do (CTF) when I was 12. I was in the process or preparing for my green belt test when I had to stop. After about 5 years of no training, I started training again, this time in Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu. This time, I was getting ready to test for my second green when I moved out of the area and wasn't able to continue training.

I'm currently training in Hapkido, purple belt, attending a minimum of 5 classes per week. Based off of the amount of time I spend in class, I'll probably be testing for my brown belt in either March or April and should hit 1st degree by June/July of next year. In addition to my Hapkido training, I've been cross training with some boxing and Judo. One of our senior students was a Judo/Jujitsu instructor before he moved to the area and he and I work on some throwing and grappling since we both have a history in it.

Since I also make occasional trips back to the area that I am originally from, I'm hoping to take my gear along and also work in some BJJ training during my trips.
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first Shiai! Do take your first few competitions as simply a learning experience on what competition is like, it's a whole different animal from Randori. The first time I stepped out on the mats everything I had learned just seemed to drop right out of my head!

I've been in a competition before, just not for judo. Although it will be weird going at it as a white belt. :P It's weird starting from scratch because my brain is fighting with me on stances, etc. from Taekwondo.
    Yesterday, during randori, I finally took down my opponent. She's my Para training partner and has been taking me down. To have gotten her twice felt really good. I didn't think judo mixed well with me because I kept getting pinned, but I finally had a breakthrough yesterday.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just started training in Wing Tsun, I'm really enjoying it. Seems like a good work out, although logging the calories is a bit tricky (i don't think wearing a HRM in class would be allowed).

I have a background in TKD from back in middle school. I enjoyed it, but didn't stick with it.

I also have a small history with Shaolin Kung Fu.

and 10 years of Yoga :D
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I started kickboxing in University, and took some years off for marriage and kids. I got back into it for 4 years, and then started Goju-Ryu Karate as well. Karate kind of took over, and now I train mostly in that, although I love the full out go that the kickboxing offers! I have my green belt, and am getting closer to my blue. Our dojo has recently changed over to Shotokan, with a new sensei, so I'm not sure how that's going to change things. So far so good! Glad to find a board on here with people who have the same interests, everyone I know here is into zumba and yoga and they don't understand "why I love to hit things" (their words LOL!).
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Did Judo and Shotokan Karate when I was very young.... Did some TaeKwondo after that.
    In my teenage years i did Shorin Ryu Karate. Around 18-19 I did Genbukan Ninjutsu.
    I stopped for health and family reasons....
    I started again in 2010 in Hoshinkido Hapkido... Never stopped and i love it.