What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Replies

• syamkolli
    syamkolli Posts: 5 Member
    Hello!

Im 29 from Southampton UK, I train in Muay Thai. I started training around 4 years ago, I am lucky enough to have trained in Thailand with some great teachers and some great fighters. Now I am training here in UK, I aim to train muay thai (group training) 3 times a week, I run and row every day to maintain cardio :)

I am also looking into beginning BJJ, we will see if I can find the time!
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    I presently train Gracie/Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (I'm a blue belt). The school also offers MMA and kick-boxing classes, and I've begun to dabble a little in kick-boxing.

I used to train Japansese Jiu-jitsu (I'm a yellow belt), but I found that the part of jim-jitsu I liked the most was the ground grappling. Our JJJ school only did a very little bit of this (perhaps once every 4 weeks or so), whereas in BJJ it's over 90% on the ground.
  • mushin77
    mushin77 Posts: 1
    I train in Murado which has a core of hard style techniques but has several techniques and principles of soft style arts such as Wing Chun woven into it. throughout our training we learn to understand the differences, similarities and how and when to flow from one method to the other.
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Hello all,

I got a late start in this realm and only have 4 years of Muay Thai and trained some in BJJ. I've also dabbled with Systema. I had some knee injuries and let myself go to pot. I'm trying to work myself back into reasonalbe shape so that this 39 year old can hang a few rounds on the younger fighters again.
  • Hello!
    I've been training and competing in martial arts for most of my life. I start with kick boxing and then Sanda / Sanshou for 11 years now, 4-5 yrs of BJJ, almost 3 of boxing and now mixing all in mma for a year.

I normally train from 2-4 hrs a day 6 times a week. Because I love it and also because I compete very often so I need to be in shape and keep learning.

And because I've been training for so long I never had problems with my weight but then I start focusing in getting good nutrition and get my fight weight in order. Every martial artist or anyone who like to excersice is welcome in adding me, always looking for people like that.
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    I trained up to Brown/Black belt in Kuk Sool back in the mid 90's, then nothing for a while. I have been doing WTF TKD once or twice a week for about 2 years, with a few months off from time to time. Progress is slow, partially due to me and partially due to the instructor.

Recently added an Aikido class in there, and I'm enjoying that a LOT.
  • CEksoz
    CEksoz Posts: 2
    It is good to find a group that talks about martial arts and Muaythai. I hope to know new people and exchange knowledge/experience.
    I have close to 15 years training and fighting experience in Muaythai, and I am a muayhthai coach in a gym. Although I retired from fighting, I still keep going training.
    Oh...how I train?
    6 days / week: 2 to 3 hours -> 2 days fitness and conditioning, 2 days Muaythai and pad-works.

Hope to expand my network
  • Muay Thai for two years and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu for three years.
  • furyohfury
    furyohfury Posts: 6 Member
    I've been learning Taekwondo for 3 months, 4 times a week, and love it, also done some ju jitsu and mma. I'm the only overweight person in my gym (100 lbs to lose) but it's good motivation to keep up with the rest of them, and it's the first time I've been at a gym and not been made to feel embarrassed about my weight!
  • dgleonard
    dgleonard Posts: 3
    I'm 25 years old with over 18 years of Judo experience; started when I was about 6. 10 years of Muay Thai, 2 years of BJJ, a year of Kung-Fu as well.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Kendo and Shotokan.

ShaolIn Kung fu as a kid, but apparently wasn't smart enough to remember the curvy stuff, so I stick to straight lines now.

Would love to add grappling/ground at some point. Right now, I'm pretty useless once I'm on the ground.
  • Daylon180
    Daylon180 Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I'm Daylon, 31. Have done Kung Fu and Ninjutsu in the past, then injured my back. Just starting to get myself right. Trying to remember some Tai Chi forms (since low impact is all I can do atm.)
  • I've been training no gi jujitsu for a year now, as well as boxing.
  • frankenchops
    frankenchops Posts: 20 Member
    Hi all, just joined this group to find like-minded people on MFP, and figure this is the place to start.

My training is primarily in boxing and kickboxing/Muay Thai. I have done some jiu jitsu in the past, but no more since I like striking too much. I’ve been doing this for about four years. I’ve tried a handful of different gyms in my city but have found a home the last couple of years at a competitive MMA gym.

Sparring can be had on any day of the week at my gym, but I usually limit it to twice a week (usually one boxing and the other kickboxing) mixed with technique for the remainder of the week, some running, some strength and conditioning. With all the training it’s a wonder how I have any fat on my body, but I certainly do!

I’ve never had a formal bout, but the gyms in the area organize smokers all the time. Twice I signed up and twice **** happened. Once an orbital blowout (pow!) and once the flu. Both times I made weight though, which is great to know I can do it when motivated. We’ll see if there is another in the future for me. I’m 41 now, and recently I’ve been like, ‘what do I have to prove by beating up a 20year old?’ Still, would probably be fun :)

I look forward to perusing this group and learning something.

Frank
  • chocofroll
    chocofroll Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there! I started with kung fu (choi li fut style), then I switched to jeet kune do and self defense. Nowadays I'm into MMA (I practice kick boxing and BJJ) and I'm also interesting in philippine kali and silat.
  • onemannasty
    onemannasty Posts: 7 Member
    I have trained Muay Thai for 8 years, No Gi Jiu-Jitsu for 7, and I have incorporated more boxing and wrestling as of the last 5 years to be well rounded. I am 4-0 as an amateur in MMA and have won a title at 155(I walk around at 175) . I currently am coming back from a elbow injury that kept me out 14 months. I would like to start doing more grappling tournaments and make my pro debut in the future. I also would like to add more martial arts friends so shoot me an add!
  • powerulers
    powerulers Posts: 3 Member
    hello I'm 43 from Bronx NY but now live in Albany NY, i started martial arts when i was 9 years old, thats when i was into Bruce Lee and also watching those Saturday kung fu flicks. i got really interested, so i join a ITF tae kwon do at St Mary recreation. did that for a while, then i found a Shotokan class, which i love very much. i did that for about 5 years, then i did amateur boxing at Fort Apache boxing club, where Hector Camacho trained. I also do Kobodo in Nun Chucks, Tonfa, Sai, katana and Bow .i have been a competitive person since i was 9. now at 43 I'm back into Shotokan on a daily basis and i love it. :laugh:
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Hey everyone. I am 43, been doing traditional Taekwondo for 28 years (with exception of 4 year break, but even then was practicing part time). Also have fleeting experience with an eclectic mix of various other arts from practicing with others along the way - Muay Thai, Goju, Judo, BJJ. Also have experience in a few different self defense systems (FAST, PPCT).
  • Hello everyone. I am 47 years old and a Goju Karate practitioner. I started training just before my 41st birthday and I never looked back because I love everything about this art. I love all other traditional styles of martial arts as well, but as I often tell students, I didn't choose Goju, Goju chose me.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Welcome hfenton67